sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

SOWNY » How tweet it is: Adam Wylde teases Monday morning announcement » Today 9:01 am

betaylored
Replies: 8

Go to post

Adam and Steve Dangle will be filling in for Jeff Blair on Sportsnet 590 the Fan this Thursday and Friday, from 9:00-noon.

Jeff Blair was a newspaper guy, who switched to radio, and he's been at Rogers for about five years I think. As solid as he is as a radio host, maybe he's thinking of leaving radio, and returning to his other love, writing, and becoming a member of "The Athletic".

Usually, the highly energized, well connected Joey Vendetta fills in when Jeff's away. Could Thursday and Friday be the radio version of a P.T.O. for Adam and Steve. Is Rogers looking for the next Tim and Sid?

Adam and Steve have known each other since high school, so this might be ... nah not going to say it, just don't want to jinx anything..

SOWNY » How tweet it is: Adam Wylde teases Monday morning announcement » Today 8:33 am

cGrant
Replies: 8

Go to post

Don wrote:

Guessing this is a transition period, and it'll be his show by the end of the year.

They should have waited for the brand refresh until the young hip host takes over their prime drive. Like I wrote previously, R&M do NOT fit with the new vibe. And, logically, if you don't get the actual demo you're skewing for from the A.M., then what's the point? Outside of the Inner Circle of the Illuminati on this board, the listener doesn't care that the geriatric hosting the show they are listening to was born before their grandparents.
 

SOWNY » How tweet it is: Adam Wylde teases Monday morning announcement » Today 8:26 am

Don
Replies: 8

Go to post

Guessing this is a transition period, and it'll be his show by the end of the year.

SOWNY » Service dog has died - media reports she fell ill while at PetSmart » Today 8:21 am

Chrisphen
Replies: 3

Go to post

This issue demands the opinion of a PR professional to be broadcast.

SOWNY » How tweet it is: Adam Wylde teases Monday morning announcement » Today 8:21 am

cGrant
Replies: 8

Go to post

Don wrote:

In related news, CHUM FM is also making an announcement tomorrow morning. 

Yup but it's not Adam joining the duo. It's J-Nice relocating to Toronto and joining Grandpa and Marilyn. Very strange chice .
 

SOWNY » HD radio Artist Experience » Today 7:51 am

DeepTracks
Replies: 3

Go to post

Thanks! - blind in one eye, can't see out the other 

SOWNY » HD radio Artist Experience » Today 6:36 am

cGrant
Replies: 3

Go to post

DeepTracks wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with the acronym you used - "AE". What does it mean?

Look at the title of this thread.
 

SOWNY » Friday Flashback: The Art Of The Chart, Part 1 » Today 6:08 am

Thank you, RA, for this thread.

SOWNY » HD radio Artist Experience » Today 6:00 am

DeepTracks
Replies: 3

Go to post

I drive a '15 Subaru with HD radio. I have friends with HD in their cars as well and we all have displays that provide different degrees (if you will) of information. I'm unfamiliar with the acronym you used - "AE". What does it mean?

SOWNY » Service dog has died - media reports she fell ill while at PetSmart » Yesterday 9:33 pm

betaylored
Replies: 3

Go to post

splunge wrote:

i agree that the premise of a story trumps the facts of the story.  much like the paikin affair or most stuff coming out of the usa..... getting the facts right seems to be secondary to getting the scoop.  To your point, there still appears to be much speculation over the fine points. 

Speculation is the perfect word splunge. Corey is spending time on Twitter, getting support, tweeting his thoughts about his loss, and retweeting all the news stories covering Aspen's death. Although the answering likes and retweets from people are diminishing as he continues to tweet about his loss.

I am interested in hearing how Stafford, and Ryan Doyle, at their respective stations, handle this story tomorrow, neither pulls any punches when it comes to topics. And I enjoy Dave Trafford, (and this spectacular weekend, weekdays, weekend marathon he's doing) but would love to get John Moore's thoughts on this story.
 

SOWNY » Service dog has died - media reports she fell ill while at PetSmart » Yesterday 8:38 pm

splunge
Replies: 3

Go to post

i agree that the premise of a story trumps the facts of the story.  much like the paikin affair or most stuff coming out of the usa..... getting the facts right seems to be secondary to getting the scoop.  To your point, there still appears to be much speculation over the fine points. 

SOWNY » Service dog has died - media reports she fell ill while at PetSmart » Yesterday 5:03 pm

betaylored
Replies: 3

Go to post

I am so sorry to read that the service dog Aspen was too ill to be saved. Over the past few days, social media and the real media did a great job supporting Corey and helping him raise funds for Aspen's care.

The reason for this thread is some news outlets are using careful wording, reporting that the dog became sick AFTER being dropped off at the pet hotel. Some are more circumspect and quoting her owner. It's also been suggested that more could have been done sooner to get Aspen help, and I won't quibble at that. But to slant the story, without proof, that the dog fell ill while in the care of the pet store, is smarmy tabloid level writing.

Several radio hosts questioned why someone would leave a service dog in a boarding facility, and pointed out that they are not like other dogs in temperment and care that's required. It is true that the company has declined to comment, nor do we know the cause of death. Complications from pneumonia, and possible exposure to a harmful substance are being reported as possibilities.

Corey was quoted as saying he was "distraught" sounding more like a character in a P.G. Wodehouse book than someone who just lost their best friend. I am truly sorry for his loss.

There's a real story here, about how all this unfolded, that would help pets, and pet owners/vets/pet stores. I would hope someone, Christie Blatchford for example, is working on it right now, finding out what really happened to this animal, and why. All those W words reporters love.

It would be a good way to honor Aspen, don't you think?

SOWNY » Bizarre Radio Station App Forces You To Stop Speeding – Or Else » Yesterday 2:35 pm

RadioActive
Replies: 3

Go to post

mike marshall wrote:

Very creative, although it smacks of -- dare I say it -- Fake News.

Google the story. It's all over the place. Searched Snopes, using the headline. Nada.

Stan Freberg would have loved this.
 

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds. Although I suppose it's technically possible. If it IS real, I think the reason no one has ever repeated the bad behaviour is because they deleted the damned thing from their phone. The video is great, though.

SOWNY » Friday Flashback: The Art Of The Chart, Part 1 » Yesterday 2:32 pm

RadioActive
Replies: 11

Go to post

Wow, what a great story. You're the first person I've ever heard of who was born with a perfect radio name - and was forced to change it! And the reason has echoes of what Moses Znaimer did at City TV years later, hiring people or renaming them based partly on what part of the ethnic audience they might appeal to. Thanks for sharing that.  

SOWNY » How tweet it is: Adam Wylde teases Monday morning announcement » Yesterday 2:22 pm

Don
Replies: 8

Go to post

In related news, CHUM FM is also making an announcement tomorrow morning. 

SOWNY » Bizarre Radio Station App Forces You To Stop Speeding – Or Else » Yesterday 2:13 pm

cGrant
Replies: 3

Go to post

Great idea -- the Canadian equivalent punishment should be a GNR 640 minute penalty followed by 20 Spence Jewelry screams.

The second infraction would be a 5-minute penalty with Tom singing Happy Birthday to himself followed by Saul meandering about his latest trip to Cambodia.

SOWNY » Bizarre Radio Station App Forces You To Stop Speeding – Or Else » Yesterday 1:54 pm

RadioActive wrote:

This is either brilliant or the absolute worst idea in radio history. (I vote for the latter.)
 
[Edit]

Can you imagine a longtime market leader like CHFI forcing you to take your foot off the gas to keep hearing their signal? It's ridiculous and smacks of Big Brother. But the station is proud of this initiative and claims it helps public safety. I think it would send most fleeing anywhere else and deleting the app entirely.
 
At first, I thought it might be an April Fool's joke. (The story was posted in May, so that's unlikely.) But it's almost too bizarre even for that. Either way, it’s certainly the strangest promotion I’ve heard of in years.

Very creative, although it smacks of -- dare I say it -- Fake News.

Google the story. It's all over the place. Searched Snopes, using the headline. Nada.

Stan Freberg would have loved this.
 

SOWNY » Friday Flashback: The Art Of The Chart, Part 1 » Yesterday 1:14 pm

RadioActive wrote:

O.K., I'll bite. Why DID you have to use the name "Frank Brodie?"

Stanley, when he first heard me on the Big 8, thought, "OK, I know that voice, but I don't know that name," according to Colin Kennedy, when he came back from his vacation and told me his story.

There seems to be more than one reason for the name change.
When he decided he might possibly hire me, Paul Drew flew me in so he could meet me and have me see the station. That was the night I also met Rosalie Trombley, who was on the switchboard when I walked in. Rosie was working part-time then.
Paul interviewed me, showed me around the station, including the control room when Tom Shannon was on the air, and I flew back to Edmonton the same evening.
Drew called the next day to say the job was mine but I would have to change my name. At the time, Mike Rivers was doing afternoon drive and Marshall Armstrong was a 20/20 newsman: Paul said they didn't believe in similar names, too confusing. He asked me to think of a name and he'd get back to me.
When he did, I said, "How 'bout John Brodie, my two middle names?"
"Hmmm, let me think about that."
He called back the next day and said that John Brodie, quarterback of the 49ers, came into Detroit once every two years. "No good. Frank Brodie. I like Frank Brodie."
I told him I wasn't crazy about 'Frank,' doing my best not to push it.
He said that Brodie would appeal to the large Irish demo in Detroit and thought Frank would hit home with the strong Polish segment. Drew was from Detroit. He knew his city.
"And besides, Bill Drake has already cut your intros."

Years later, the aforementioned Mike Rivers wrote a page for the CKLW tribute site, including this brief mention:

>> I do remember the day they hired Frank Brodie - for the all-night shift. His real name was Mike Marshall, but Drew thought that sounded a little too 'radio-ey' so he invented Frank Brodie. <<

If that's the real reason, and I had known about it at the time, I might hav

SOWNY » Friday Flashback: The Art Of The Chart, Part 1 » Yesterday 12:35 pm

Muffaraw Joe
Replies: 11

Go to post

I used to go to Sam the Record Mall at Bayshore Mall in Ottawa to get these "bad boys" every Thursday...the CFGO chart was awesome, I had a collection of them...and they disappeared in various moves over the years...

But I lived for the chart each week as a pre-teen and teen...

I think I now have a life as an adult...(smiling)





http://i68.tinypic.com/1qn9zq.jpg

SOWNY » Friday Flashback: The Art Of The Chart, Part 1 » Yesterday 9:20 am

RadioActive
Replies: 11

Go to post

mike marshall wrote:

Noticed a familiar name in the jock lineup on the WLCY Tampa/St. Pete chart. Jim Stanley and I worked at CHED Edmonton for a bit in the mid '60s, before he left for Florida in 1966.
A few years later, I started at CKLW on the all night show and was told by one of our great Ops, Colin Kennedy, just back from a Florida vacation and a station visit there, that Stanley used to listen to me every morning on his way in to do his AM show. Small world...big signal.

(Stanley knew my voice but couldn't figure out why I had to call myself Frank Brodie.)

O.K., I'll bite. Why DID you have to use the name "Frank Brodie?"

SOWNY » Bizarre Radio Station App Forces You To Stop Speeding – Or Else » Yesterday 9:13 am

RadioActive
Replies: 3

Go to post

This is either brilliant or the absolute worst idea in radio history. (I vote for the latter.)
 
This is a story from May of last year but I assume it’s still going on. It has to do with a Brazilian radio station app that tries to stop its in-car audience from speeding – or be forced to listen to the most boring radio show in the country.
 
It centres around a station in Rio that’s very popular, but is forced every night to air an hour of government news. And it’s not like you can turn elsewhere. By law, every single station in the country is required to air this thing at the exact same time. So if you’re listening to the radio in your car, there’s nowhere else to turn. Needless to say, it’s become the most hated show on the medium and people go out of their way to avoid it.
 
But thanks to streaming, drivers have found an alternative – listening to the popular Paradiso FM on their phones. The stream is allowed to continue with music.
 
So what’s the big deal? The app has a special program hidden within it that checks the speed of the car where it’s tuned in. And if it detects you’re going over the posted limit, it issues a “sound penalty” that forces you to hear one minute of the so-called “Government Hour” until you slow down. It only resumes the regular music stream when you do.
 
The station claims it’s been a big hit in Brazil and no one who’s been assessed the penalty has ever repeated the sin.
 
First, I find that last claim almost impossible to believe. Second, why in the world would you want to do this to your loyal listeners? Can you imagine a longtime market leader like CHFI forcing you to take your foot off the gas to keep hearing their signal? It's ridiculous and smacks of Big Brother. But the station is proud of this initiative and claims it helps public safety. I think it would send most fleeing anywhere else and deleting the app entirely.
 
At first, I thought it might be an April Fool's joke. (The story was p

Board footera