sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Fri Jun 30 9:07 pm  #1

The National.

I just watched Peter Mansbridge on The National for the last time. I found it to be a little disappointing. He said only a feed words at the end and that was it. It could have been a lot better.

Fri Jun 30 9:26 pm  #2

Re: The National.

What should have he done instead?

Fri Jun 30 9:27 pm  #3

He is on air tomorrow too...and I am sure there will be a special report or interview about it...

I understand you wanting more of a send off...but in a way I'd find that kind of "maudlin" to do that and have tears and long goodbyes...I expect he will do interviews and have some hand in broadcasting still at some level...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeDN-rjCNOk

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (Fri Jun 30 9:34 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

Fri Jun 30 9:31 pm  #4

I totally disagree with the original post.  he signed off with class and composure...as should be expected from a person like him.  Last night, the National did a full 20 minute retrospective on Peter's career.  Today, CBC Newsworld (or whatever its called this week) ran interview segments.

Mansbridge has been well honoured by his peers.  What more does he need to say?  What more would you expect? 

Fri Jun 30 10:56 pm  #5

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jd95dufYBrU/hqdefault.jpg

GET EM OUT

Sat Jul 1 9:14 am  #6

The Canada Day Special "open" we very good. Having Peters wife sing O Canada was a nice touch

Sun Jul 16 9:02 pm  #7

splunge wrote:

I  CBC Newsworld (or whatever its called this week)  

This week?  It's had one name change in 30 years.  

Tue Jul 18 9:53 am  #8

splunge wrote:

Mansbridge has been well honoured by his peers.  What more does he need to say?  What more would you expect? 

How about "appointment to the Upper Chamber is totally unanticipated and was unexpected but as I live in Stratford, generous housing & travel allowances are required if you expect me to spend time in Ottawa doing whatever it is that senators do"

Tue Jul 18 11:49 am  #9

Ms. C. wrote:

splunge wrote:

How about "appointment to the Upper Chamber is totally unanticipated and was unexpected but as I live in Stratford, generous housing & travel allowances are required if you expect me to spend time in Ottawa doing whatever it is that senators do"

Why not?  He's been belly up to the public trough for decades.  What's another 10 years or so?  He and Wallin and Duffy can talk about the good old days of media over fois gras in the Senate restaurant.

Tue Jul 18 2:42 pm  #10

And after that, Corus can hire him to do fill-in work for 640. 😉

Last edited by cGrant (Tue Jul 18 2:43 pm)

Tue Jul 18 5:16 pm  #11

cGrant wrote:

One person I would like to have filling in on 640 right now would be Tina Trigiani. After grilled.cheese mentioned SoundCloud, I spent a few hours listening to Stafford's shows, and there are a couple of Tina filling in for Mike. I listened all the time when she filled in. She didn't try too hard to impress, joked about "breaking Mike's show" and got some good stories from the listeners. She came across as herself. I'd tune in, in a heartbeat, if she was filling in again.

Tue Jul 18 5:22 pm  #12

betaylored wrote:

cGrant wrote:

One person I would like to have filling in on 640 right now would be Tina Trigiani. After grilled.cheese mentioned SoundCloud, I spent a few hours listening to Stafford's shows, and there are a couple of Tina filling in for Mike. I listened all the time when she filled in. She didn't try too hard to impress, joked about "breaking Mike's show" and got some good stories from the listeners. She came across as herself. I'd tune in, in a heartbeat, if she was filling in again.

She had her own show for at least a couple of years, following Stafford.  She was okay, kind of a Kelly Cutrara lite, but I agree she would be a good fill in for some of the regulars.  Certainly better than that baggish news-reader Alan Carter.

Thu Jul 27 10:09 pm  #13

Charlie wrote:

betaylored wrote:

cGrant wrote:

She had her own show for at least a couple of years, following Stafford.  She was okay, kind of a Kelly Cutrara lite, but I agree she would be a good fill in for some of the regulars.  Certainly better than that baggish news-reader Alan Carter.

Ya, I miss TT with Bonner side-kicking and Patrick adding a touch.  T's laugh was so infectious especially when Bonner made some boner comment and T couldn't hold back any longer!

Wubba lubba dub dub!