sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sat Feb 24 1:40 pm  #1

Alexa Question

I got an Amazon Alexa device for Christmas.  Since then, I have been using it in the kitchen, replacing my old plug-in radio, and enjoy it.  However, for the last couple of weeks I have not been able to order 'her' to play Newstalk 1010, or CKTB 610.  It was never a problem before, but now she just says that she 'can't find' those stations.  640, 96.3 FM Q-107 and others are no problem.  Did Bell Media sever ties with Amazon for streaming or something?  Anybody out there in the know?

Sat Feb 24 1:50 pm  #2

Re: Alexa Question

I can't help you much.. (I'm a google person) but...
Amazon has nothing to do with the stations Alexa delivers.  Same as google.  They both use TuneIn for them. 

Try 'Alexa, play NewsTalk 1010 on TuneIn" or whatever.  Give it the path to the station.

or..

Check your Alexa app and make sure that TuneIn is there.
Open up the application and tap on the menu icon located in the upper left corner
Click on Music & Books
Click on TuneIn, and see all of the stations available!

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

Sat Feb 24 3:00 pm  #3

Didn't Bell drop all its stations from TuneIn when iHeart Radio came to Canada? Charlie, have you tried to enable the iHeart Radio skill on your Echo account, or is it not yet available in Canada?

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (Sat Feb 24 3:00 pm)

Sat Feb 24 3:48 pm  #4

I can get Bell stations on my google home or mini without issue.. says playing from TuneIn

Sat Feb 24 4:00 pm  #5

pinto wrote:

I can get Bell stations on my google home or mini without issue.. says playing from TuneIn

Yes, she always said 'Newstalk 1010 on Tunein' before, and it played no problem, but now just says she can't find the station.  It's weird. 

Sat Feb 24 4:19 pm  #6

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Didn't Bell drop all its stations from TuneIn when iHeart Radio came to Canada? Charlie, have you tried to enable the iHeart Radio skill on your Echo account, or is it not yet available in Canada?

Nope. There was an encoding issue when they switched platforms but it was rectified as soon as possible.

Unlike Rogers when they initially launched their 680 news app and limited only to people with Rogers cellular subscriptions, Bell was smart enough not to cut its nose off to spite its face

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

Sat Mar 3 12:28 pm  #7

For some mysterious reason, NEWSTALK 1010 is suddenly back on my Alexa device, after being unavailable for weeks.  Thanks for the tips.

Sat Mar 3 12:39 pm  #8

Charlie wrote:

For some mysterious reason, NEWSTALK 1010 is suddenly back on my Alexa device, after being unavailable for weeks.  Thanks for the tips.

The next time this happens, think of a bell owned station you don't normally ask for. (but still wouldn't mind listening to)
See what happens... I recommend testing it with a music station this time, not another talk station.
(just to be sure)

Sat Mar 3 4:44 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Charlie wrote:

The next time this happens, think of a bell owned station you don't normally ask for. (but still wouldn't mind listening to)
See what happens... I recommend testing it with a music station this time, not another talk station.
(just to be sure)

Good idea.  When I couldn't get 1010, I asked 'her' to play CKTB 610 in St. Catharines, and got the same answer of 'I can't find that station'.  Now that I can get 1010 again, CKTB is back, as well.  Beats me.

Mon Mar 5 12:40 pm  #10

Tunein lists every station that would be found on iHeart, Radioplayer Canada or none of those at all.