sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Thu Mar 1 2:23 pm  #1

Want More? Let's get back to The River!

So...today, Byrnes Media's new stations, CFLZ/101.1(Fort Erie)and CJED/105.1(Niagara Falls)FINALLY unveiled their new positioners. And they are...

CFLZ: 101.1 More FM
CJED: 105.1 The River

That's about all the info I have on it at this point(that includes formats). Sorry.

Last edited by ckg927 (Thu Mar 1 2:24 pm)

Thu Mar 1 2:30 pm  #2

Re: Want More? Let's get back to The River!

River appears to be AC:

:58PM   Sound Of Your Heart      Shawn Hook       Kreative Soul/Hollywood
1:54PM When Doves Cry              Prince   Warner Bros.
1:50PM Rude     Magic!  Latium/RCA
1:46PM Don't Speak        No Doubt            Trauma
1:42PM Can't Feel My Face          The Weeknd      XO/Republic
1:38PM Bleeding Love    Leona Lewis       SYCO/J/RCA
1:35PM Cautious              Tyler Shaw          Sony Music Canada
1:31PM Empire State Of Mind (Part II) Broken Down       Alicia Keys           MBK/J/RCA
1:27PM C'est La Vie         Bobby Bazini      Universal
1:24PM Attention            Charlie Puth       OTTO/Atlantic
1:19PM (I Just) Died In Your Arms             Cutting Crew      Virgin
1:15PM Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)            Katy Perry           Capitol
1:11PM 7 Years  Lukas Graham   Warner Bros.
1:07PM How You Remind Me     Nickelback          Roadrunner/RRP/Atlantic
1:04PM Havana Camila Cabello Feat. Young Thug               Epic
1:01PM Drive By               Train      Columbia
1:00 PM
12:58PM              Heartbreak Coverup       Jesse Labelle      Wax
12:54PM              Hungry Like The Wolf     Duran Duran      Harvest
12:51PM              Four Leaf Clover               Christian Hudson              Mathurmatics
12:49PM              Love Story           Taylor Swift        Big Machine
12:47PM              What About Us P!nk       RCA
12:43PM              Get What You Give         Felix Cartal          Physical Presents
12:42PM              Send My Love (To Your New Lover)         Adele    XL/Columbia
12:40PM              All Star  Smash Mouth    Interscope
12:37PM              Love Me Now    John Legend      Columbia
12:33PM              Up We Go           Lights    Universal
12:30PM              Thunder               Imagine Dragons              KIDinaKORNER/Interscope
12:26PM              Sunday Morning               K-OS      Virgin
12:23PM              We Are Young   Fun. Feat. Janelle Monae             Fueled By Ramen/RRP
12:18PM              Bound To You    Jocelyn Alice      Disruptor/Columbia
12:14PM              I Don't Want To Miss A Thing      Aerosmith           Columbia
12:10PM              Never Let Me Let You Go             Shawn Hook       Universal
12:06PM              Listen To Your Heart       D.H.T.    Robbins
12:02PM              What Lovers Do                Maroon 5 Feat. SZA        222/Interscope
12:00 PM
11:58AM              Free Fallin'          Tom Petty           MCA
11:54AM              Stitches                Shawn Mendes                Island/Republic
11:51AM              Merry Go Round              Suzie McNeil      604
11:47AM              Every Breath You Take   Police    A&M
11:43AM              Superficial Love (Single Version)               Ruth B. Columbia
11:40AM              Irreplaceable / Irreemplazable   Beyonce              Music World/Columbia
11:36AM              Bend     Ria Mae                Sony Music Canada
11:32AM              Unwell  Matchbox Twenty           Atlantic
11:28AM              Earned It (Fifty Shades Of Grey)                The Weeknd      XO/Republic
11:24AM              It Ain't Me           Kygo x Selena Gomez    Ultra/RCA/Interscope
11:20AM              Beat It   Michael Jackson               Epic
11:16AM              Curiosity              Carly Rae Jepsen              604/SchoolBoy/Interscope
11:13AM              Let Me Love You              DJ Snake Feat. Justin Bieber        DJ Snake/Interscope
11:09AM              Pinch Me             Barenaked Ladies            Reprise
11:04AM              Beautiful Trauma             P!nk       RCA
11:01AM              Photograph        Ed Sheeran         Elektra/Atlantic

Last edited by Don (Thu Mar 1 2:31 pm)

Thu Mar 1 2:37 pm  #3

Don: Thanks for the update. Based on that, the adult hits from 101.1 segued to 105.1 .

Thu Mar 1 4:58 pm  #4

The format for 101.1 More FM is classic hits of the 70s, 80s and 90s.  I always thought that 101.1 Juice FM had a good format on a lousy signal, so I'm glad that Byrnes has moved it to the superior 105.1 signal. 

It was also nice to hear a live voice on the 105.1 afternoon drive today.  The same shift on 101.1 had been voice tracked, an indication of how severe the cuts to staff had been under the Vista ownership.

Thu Mar 1 6:32 pm  #5

I'm a little confused here. Is 105.1 CJED? Because the list I posted is not Classic Hits. I don't have access to the CFLZ list.

Thu Mar 1 6:45 pm  #6

Don wrote:

I'm a little confused here. Is 105.1 CJED? Because the list I posted is not Classic Hits. I don't have access to the CFLZ list.

105.1 IS CJED. It looks like the Juice FM playlist got moved over to the River.

Thu Mar 1 6:56 pm  #7

The playlist I posted doesn't have much in common with Juice FM.

Thu Mar 1 7:17 pm  #8

So, looking further, River is the same gold-based AC playlist as Heart-FM Woodstock (Really curious why they didn't use the name they paid a bunch for....but that question might answer itself) and MORE-fm is Classic Hits.

Last edited by Don (Thu Mar 1 7:19 pm)

Thu Mar 1 7:24 pm  #9

I listened to 105.1 for a while this afternoon.  There is a fair amount of overlap with the Juice FM playlist with  more emphasis on recent music and a less emphasis on Classic Hits.  I am guessing Byrnes had to tweak the playlist because the Juice FM format is used on other Vista stations and there could be licensing issues if Byrnes followed it too closely.  Since 101.1 is running classic hits, it also makes sense to play less of them on 105.1.

Thu Mar 1 7:46 pm  #10

There's no licensing on playlists/formats. I think after a few days you'll find that MORE sounds more like Juice than RIVER does. 

Thu Mar 1 8:22 pm  #11

Don wrote:

There's no licensing on playlists/formats. I think after a few days you'll find that MORE sounds more like Juice than RIVER does. 

You could be right.  The classic hits format has failed a couple of times in the market, once with 105.1 Ed FM a few years back and with Giant FM in Welland before it switched to Classic Rock.

Wed Mar 7 12:50 pm  #12

As posted by me on Facebook, CJED 105.1 has now flipped back to AC as The River - 105.1FM claiming that they are playing "the world's best music" and CFLZ 101.1FM has now been re-branded as More FM playing classic hits. Their new websites are https://105theriver.ca and https://101morefm.ca

Last edited by PwrSurge (Wed Mar 7 12:51 pm)

Wed Mar 7 4:07 pm  #13

The music on The River is mainly from the post 2000 area and More FM is 70s, 80s and 90s with the occasional song from the 60s.  

A new DJ, Greg Diamond has been hired to do morning drive on The River.  Marie Cassidy does news on both the 105.1 and 101.1 morning shows.  Previously, she was the afternoon news reader on both stations.  Chris Barnatt is still the morning DJ on 101.1 and no longer has to read the news as he did when it was Juice FM.

I noticed that the new owners have replaced the red lights on The River's Thorold transmitter.  They had been burned out for months.   Maybe Vista, the previous owner, was losing so much money that it couldn't afford the electricity to operate the lights. :