sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2018 9:54 am  #1


CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

CBC Marketplace goes undercover with hidden cameras as they expose Bell's door-to-door sales tactics

And those "tactics" ain't pretty...

Should be a good show to watch...

That's tonight at 8 p.m.

More love for Bell


"I'll kick your ass down Yonge Street"... CFTR's Robert Holiday circa 1979...
 

March 2, 2018 12:16 pm  #2


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

So Bell goes door to door while Rogers sticks with the telephone? 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-employees-pressure-to-sell-1.4481128

 

March 2, 2018 7:10 pm  #3


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

Radiowiz wrote:

So Bell goes door to door while Rogers sticks with the telephone? 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-employees-pressure-to-sell-1.4481128

From a foreign call centre usually.

 

March 2, 2018 8:46 pm  #4


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

People give the CBC all kinds of hell but you would never see a story about Bell's bullshit on any of CTV's channels...especially on their consumer report segments which they have in all their major markets...they could do a story about Bell butchering some old lady once a week.

 

March 2, 2018 9:01 pm  #5


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

Johnny B wrote:

People give the CBC all kinds of hell but you would never see a story about Bell's bullshit on any of CTV's channels...especially on their consumer report segments which they have in all their major markets...they could do a story about Bell butchering some old lady once a week.

Yes. That is why I am not a Conservative in any way.
I enjoy paying taxes knowing that there is something there free to tell it like it is instead of pretending to be a CTV that insists that nothing is wrong with Bell...ever! 
Don't think of me as being a socialist though. At best, maybe I am an Orange Liberal. 

 

March 2, 2018 9:07 pm  #6


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

You enjoy paying taxes??? And, you consider the CBC as "value for money" and an essential service?  Please, please don't drink and post.

 

March 3, 2018 12:07 am  #7


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

cGrant wrote:

You enjoy paying taxes??? And, you consider the CBC as "value for money" and an essential service?  Please, please don't drink and post.

Another person who didn't bother watching Market place, I see, and yes I enjoy paying taxes. I'm not some cheap bum and I really appreciate what I get out of my taxes. 
CBC's Marketplace is an excellent program.

CBC does have tons of content I'll never watch, but so what? At least for the content I do like, it is there and not controlled by a company that dictates not to say anything bad about cell phone companies or whatever.

I'd like to see more Canadian game shows on CBC, but that's another separate opinion.
 

 

March 3, 2018 12:20 am  #8


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

cGrant wrote:

You enjoy paying taxes??? And, you consider the CBC as "value for money" and an essential service?  Please, please don't drink and post.

i agree with Radiowiz & Johnny B that CBC is a valued service and enjoy its unique Canadian content & feel.

Last edited by g121 (March 3, 2018 12:21 am)

 

March 3, 2018 12:42 am  #9


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

Johnny B wrote:

People give the CBC all kinds of hell but you would never see a story about Bell's bullshit on any of CTV's channels...especially on their consumer report segments which they have in all their major markets...they could do a story about Bell butchering some old lady once a week.

Remember this little Marketplace mess? But yes, CBC Marketplace does do some good, including this recent gem.

There's also this waste of digital space that is probably costing taxpayers a few million at least.

And hey, I wonder if this story, if true (likely), will get any more traction and attention?

Speaking of Mansbridge, that alleged horn dog was making taxpayer money hand over fist via sweet, confidential contracts. When CBC nixed his speaking engagements (for good reason) he whined and they gave him more of our money. He's also rumoured to make $500,000/year IN RETIREMENT from the taxpayer.

A few years back, I played poker with a well-known voice in Toronto radio who had served some time at the CBC, and knew many who worked there. He gleefully told me that far too many CBC full-time employees with decades of tenure would roll into work late, do either very little or nothing at all, and then head home early afternoon. No repercussions, no worries, no problem sucking the taxpayer teat dry.

While the CBC does produce some interesting content, there is still WAAAAAY too much financial and cultural waste.

 

March 3, 2018 12:42 am  #10


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

cGrant wrote:

You enjoy paying taxes??? And, you consider the CBC as "value for money" and an essential service?  Please, please don't drink and post.

I actually agree with cGrant this time!!!

 

March 3, 2018 2:07 am  #11


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

Fjiri wrote:

While the CBC does produce some interesting content, there is still WAAAAAY too much financial and cultural waste.

First of all, I don't drink and post. Secondly, yes, you may be doing a good job of pointing out that there is such a thing as over paying the piper, but cGrant doesn't want to pay the piper at all.

I sure as hell don't want a situation where Bell Rogers and Shaw are my only (Canadian television) news sources.

 

 

March 3, 2018 2:41 am  #12


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

I agree with Radiowiz. I definitely don't want Bell, Rogers, and Shaw as the sole sources of news in Canada.

I am also troubled by stories of how much Mansbridge was making (and no I don't think he should be earning that much at all, you want to work for a public broadcaster, you don't get to overcharge the taxpayer). The solution AFAIC, is full transparency in terms of salary or any kind of renumeration if you work for the CBC... sweetheart deals tend to evaporate when exposed to bright, sunny daylight.

 

March 3, 2018 10:12 am  #13


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

I, too, value the CBC, in spite of all its faults.

In the shadow of the elephant to our south, it is important to have our own broadcasting entity to counter the never-ending tidal waves of American programming (and associated cultural baggage) that overwhelm Global and CTV.

Never before in history have so many wept so many tears over such minimal per taxpayer cost to keep Canada's broadcaster alive.


 

Last edited by Dial Twister (March 3, 2018 10:13 am)


 
 

March 3, 2018 10:29 am  #14


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

By all means, let's have the government support and bail-out the broadcasting and newspaper industries. After all, it's not like it's THEIR money -- it's ours!  There is only one taxpayer, and I'd rather have my hard-earned money go towards actual essentials like healthcare, education, infrastructure, etc. I don't need to be entertained and amused at the taxpayers' expense. 

Further, it's static thinking, traditionally on this board by the stalwarts that we must lock ourselves in time and reject progress. Well, think of that future: millennials and beyond are abandoning conventional distribution nodes in favour of current and future technologies. They are the future taxpayers and they don't support aging technology.

It's been said on here countless of times that you either embrace the future or be stuck in its quicksand.

 

March 3, 2018 10:45 am  #15


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

cGrant wrote:

.. Further, it's static thinking, traditionally on this board by the stalwarts that we must lock ourselves in time and reject progress ..

I've never found the "insulting" tactic, a particularly effective manner to win support for one's viewpoint. 


cGrant wrote:

.. Well, think of that future: millennials and beyond are abandoning conventional distribution nodes in favour of current and future technologies. They are the future taxpayers and they don't support aging technology.

Think about CBC content, not a particular distribution method.


 

 

March 3, 2018 11:39 am  #16


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

g121 wrote:

cGrant wrote:

.. Further, it's static thinking, traditionally on this board by the stalwarts that we must lock ourselves in time and reject progress ..

I've never found the "insulting" tactic, a particularly effective manner to win support for one's viewpoint. 
.....Think about CBC content, not a particular distribution method.

Where's the "insult" in my first statement? "Stalwarts"? "Static thinking"? Sorry, not insulting; factual.

Not thinking about the "particular distribution method" IS the issue here. It's precisely this thinking that is out-of-touch. One has to gauge the potential audience and respond accordingly. Gone are the days of "if you build it, they will come". The audience has moved onto the next node of distribution. Is the CBC keeping up? Are they giving true value-for-money? Is the CBC a real go-to destination for the ever-changing audience? No. No. And no.

Why is there such resistance here to appreciate and explore change?
 

 

March 3, 2018 4:08 pm  #17


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

I tend to look at those people calling for "change" are not really advocating that an entity like the CBC become more modernized, but rather just want to see it gone altogether. Their arguments are more about a thinly-veiled agenda to just kill the whole shebang and not have to pay for it from their tax dollars.  Maybe they'd rather we fund a more right-wing newscast?

What exactly do you consider "value-for-money" from the CBC? What should they be doing to deliver even better news coverage to you so that you'd stop calling for them to be taken out the back and put down?  I'm fine with their programming. I watch about as much CBC as I do CTV, Global or City, so they stand on an even footing with the major broadcasters. They stream, they are on twitter and Facebook, are you suggesting they get onto Snapchat and Instagram?  What is the next node of distribution that you are referring to?

 

March 3, 2018 4:46 pm  #18


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

TomTV wrote:

I tend to look at those people calling for "change" are not really advocating that an entity like the CBC become more modernized, but rather just want to see it gone altogether. Their arguments are more about a thinly-veiled agenda to just kill the whole shebang and not have to pay for it from their tax dollars. Maybe they'd rather we fund a more right-wing newscast?

What exactly do you consider "value-for-money" from the CBC?

You're right on point: I DO want the CBC gone altogether.  Period.  My opinion isn't a "thinly-veiled" anything -- I have absolutely no veil and want it to face the guillotine. THAT would be my "value-for-money".

And, why do you propose we need to fund any newscast, left, right, centre or otherwise? Let the market demand the need. This reliance on the public needing to suck on the government's teat for sustenance is out-modelled and tedious. Remember: government's funding comes from YOUR tax dollars. Would you rather have a stronger health/pharma-care system or the ability to watch actors feign a Korean accent and own a convenience store? (With apologies to "Kim's Convenience".)
 

 

March 3, 2018 5:10 pm  #19


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

cGrant wrote:

g121 wrote:

cGrant wrote:

.. Further, it's static thinking, traditionally on this board by the stalwarts that we must lock ourselves in time and reject progress ..

I've never found the "insulting" tactic, a particularly effective manner to win support for one's viewpoint. 
.....Think about CBC content, not a particular distribution method.

Where's the "insult" in my first statement? "Stalwarts"? "Static thinking"? Sorry, not insulting; factual. 

If you were honest, you'd admit to your comment being insulting & condescending. If you're going to throw it; at least "own it".  And no it's not fact, it's your opinion.

cGrant wrote:

Not thinking about the "particular distribution method" IS the issue here. It's precisely this thinking that is out-of-touch. One has to gauge the potential audience and respond accordingly. Gone are the days of "if you build it, they will come". The audience has moved onto the next node of distribution. Is the CBC keeping up? Are they giving true value-for-money? Is the CBC a real go-to destination for the ever-changing audience? No. No. And no.

Why is there such resistance here to appreciate and explore change?
 

Hmmm .. one can watch CBC content over-the-air, via cable, via the web, in real time, via PVR, via on-demand on a TV, PC, tablet, smart phone, whatever.  Seems like pretty decent distribution methods to me.

Where do I go for breaking news .. CBC.
Where do I go for Olympic coverage .. CBC.
Where do I go for election coverage .. CBC.

I truly appreciate the Canadian approach, view, style & demeanor of CBC content.

So is the CBC a real go-to destination?  Yes, Yes And Yes.

 

March 3, 2018 5:50 pm  #20


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

Good for you. But, to assume YOU are the norm and majority is rather self-centred. If you rely on the CBC so much, then your opinion is rather tainted, right? Next.....

 

March 3, 2018 9:27 pm  #21


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

Back to the original subject, thanks to Uncle Fester for the notice about this episode. I watched the half hour and was saddened but not at all surprised by the way Bell's minions were shown to operate. The CBC's consumer bloodhounds have been on Bell's scent for some time and after watching Friday's show, that scent is a distinct stink. 

As always with these things, it's not only their odious and apparently misleading sales tactics, it's the denial by the company afterward that "this is not the way we operate," that's completely offensive. The hidden camera footage definitely says otherwise.  

If you're curious about the hatchet job they did and why Bell's own actions speak a lot louder than their words, you can watch the whole thing online:

Marketplace: Duped At The Door

 

March 3, 2018 9:31 pm  #22


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

cGrant wrote:

And, why do you propose we need to fund any newscast, left, right, centre or otherwise? Let the market demand the need. 

You really have to be a fool to think that the market demands the need.
A business is not going to report that their own business has something wrong with it even if market place demands the need. 
CTV is not going to say "In the news tonight, Bell cellular has some issues..." 
(or something along those lines...)

CBC does have some important reasons for being present in Canada, both locally, and Nationally.
To dismiss that is beyond wrong.  


 

 

March 3, 2018 10:58 pm  #23


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

sigh, can we not agree that the CBC, for the most part, provides news and information services that are above and beyond the corporate bell, rogers, or shaw parrots.  let us not discuss CBC's "entertainment" offerings.  they have appeal to some, but not others.

One has to agree that our country deserves a news voice independent of the americans.  particularly when other private groups rely so much on american entertainment in order to fill their schedules.  sorry, but when we share a border with the beast, we cannot simply roll over to "market forces" to provide us with us with news content. witness fox "news".  can you imagine that becoming our canadian reality?

 

March 3, 2018 11:09 pm  #24


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

Radiowiz wrote:

CBC does have some important reasons for being present in Canada, both locally, and Nationally.
To dismiss that is beyond wrong.   

Is it wrong? The point is STILL being missed. The millenials are NOT watching the damn TV! They get their news (if they care about news) from their smartphones. Your precious CBC is morbidly behind the arc on their digital platforms.

And, RA, not to release Bell from any liability from that show, but the company featured was a third-party sub-contractor. And their leader acted like the typical commission-based get-it-at-all-costs marketer pumping his underlings to get out there and get paid. The rallying battlecry as he sends his lambs to the slaughter was clearly evident. I highly doubt he was operating with the exact script provided to him by Bell. He wanted to make bank. Plain and simple. At the end, Bell did admit that they severed ties with that company. And, they stated that they were willing to adjust duped customers accounts. Sounds to me like they EVENTUALLY took the blame for this one.

 

March 3, 2018 11:48 pm  #25


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

ok cgrant.  i agree millenials do not get their news from tv.  Do they care about news?  i dunno.  tell me, where do they draw their knowledge of the world from then?  Maybe the onion? or info wars?  great stuff.  it no longer maters the source as long as the "news" agrees with their own world view.

 

March 4, 2018 12:08 am  #26


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

oddly, im watching mock the week, 8 out of 10 cats, the last leg, taskmaster, and others from british tv.  well executed political comedy mostly as a result of well funded bbc and/or recognition of home grown tv talent.    Several canadians, like catherine ryan or stuart francis have abandoned our country to become successful in the uk.  how sad is that that we can't develop our own talent?  at least the cbc tries, win or lose, far more than any private broadcaster.


 

 

March 4, 2018 12:18 am  #27


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

cGrant wrote:

And, RA, not to release Bell from any liability from that show, but the company featured was a third-party sub-contractor. And their leader acted like the typical commission-based get-it-at-all-costs marketer pumping his underlings to get out there and get paid. The rallying battlecry as he sends his lambs to the slaughter was clearly evident. I highly doubt he was operating with the exact script provided to him by Bell. He wanted to make bank. Plain and simple. At the end, Bell did admit that they severed ties with that company. And, they stated that they were willing to adjust duped customers accounts. Sounds to me like they EVENTUALLY took the blame for this one.

...and W5 would have covered this just fine?? 
HELL NO!! 
CBC did their job! 
Quit trashing them!
 

 

March 4, 2018 3:29 pm  #28


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

cGrant wrote:

You're right on point: I DO want the CBC gone altogether.  Period.  My opinion isn't a "thinly-veiled" anything -- I have absolutely no veil and want it to face the guillotine. THAT would be my "value-for-money".

Well fine, at least you're upfront about it. May I ask if you look at other countries with a similar service e.g. the BBC, and would say that universally all countries should get rid of any type of taxpayer-funded news organizations? No exceptions? The BBC has no value either? The news can only be delivered by corporate-driven entities? There's no concern that we would live in a world where the news we see is likely going to be censored or tweaked to protect the mother corp, or possibly to even slam other rival corporations? 

That's my point, that it's more than market demand which should determine the existence of a newscast. Even if the likes of CBC and BBC were too afraid to report on Liberal gov scandals out of fear to bite the hand that feeds them (which they are not, CBC has certainly called out the government on numerous occasions both Liberal and Conservative) at least it's another voice in the news that balances out the corporate-driven newscasts such as Bell and Rogers. To paraphrase an old saying that when you have multiple sides arguing over some point, the truth is usually "somewhere in the middle", and having the corporate and gov-based news agencies all delivering their takes, we get the truth somewhere in the middle of all that.

Yes I would like more money to go to hospitals and helping the homeless, but I also want to live in a world that doesn't start to resemble an episode of Black Mirror either. The likes of Kim's Convenience or Working Moms may not be to my taste, but these are certainly not programs that would be funded by Shaw or City, they are a closer mirror to Canadian society than CityTV's "Mom" or CTV's "Big Bang Theory", or Global's "Survivor".

 

March 4, 2018 3:48 pm  #29


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

Only God could help us if Workin' Moms is an accurate representation of Canadian society. 

 

March 4, 2018 4:39 pm  #30


Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

TomTV wrote:

Well fine, at least you're upfront about it. May I ask if you look at other countries with a similar service e.g. the BBC
.....that it's more than market demand which should determine the existence of a newscast.
.....Yes I would like more money to go to hospitals and helping the homeless, but I also want to live in a world that doesn't start to resemble an episode of Black Mirror either.

Frankly, I don't care about other countries and their "similar services" -- my issue is with Canada and my opinion is based on that alone.

How about this? If the CBC is such a "valuable" and "country-binding" service, let it be funded privately -- as in, NO tax dollars! Or have it as an discretionary service, where viewers like you pay a monthly fee. What?! It won't be the same or survive? Then, my point is made. We work hard for our money and spending it on a non life-essential entities is frivolous and a waste. It did serve a purpose -- in the past. Thankfully, we have progress and technology and something called "progress" since then.

Are we also moaning about other past ventures? How about the milk delivery man? Or the horse-and-buggy maker? Shall we support these things because it once "was"? THIS is the reason some people on here are b****ing about the radio industry -- while they are out of work. Those chose not to progress; and now, they are bitter.

The future -- you cannot stop it.