sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2018 10:34 am  #1

I, Me Me, Mine Drinking Game

No, not based on the song by George Harrison, but on the new Matt Gurney show on 640.  It's easy!  Just down a shot every time your host says "I", "Me", "My" or "Mine".  Warning:  Don't play unless you're prepared to be 3 sheets to the wind by 9:15 a.m.  Cheers!

Last edited by Charlie (March 14, 2018 10:35 am)

March 14, 2018 11:47 am  #2

Re: I, Me Me, Mine Drinking Game

Charlie wrote:

the new Matt Gurney show on 640.  It's easy!  Just down a shot every time your host says "I", "Me", "My" or "Mine".  Warning:  Don't play unless you're prepared to be 3 sheets to the wind by 9:15 a.m.

He and his former morning designated giggler bunny were very guilty of over-personalition. I say again, the whole 5:30 am-12 noon is not working.  

March 14, 2018 3:47 pm  #3

cGrant wrote:

Charlie wrote:

the new Matt Gurney show on 640.  It's easy!  Just down a shot every time your host says "I", "Me", "My" or "Mine".  Warning:  Don't play unless you're prepared to be 3 sheets to the wind by 9:15 a.m.

He and his former morning designated giggler bunny were very guilty of over-personalition. I say again, the whole 5:30 am-12 noon is not working.  

To be fair, the new-fangled morning show is 50% better, thanks to Stafford.  I don't actually mind Gurney, other than the non-stop self-referencing.  One of my favourite radio hosts is John Oakley, because of his delivery and content. Been a fan for many years, yet I don't have the slightest idea if he's married, or has kids, or what his hobbies are (other than hockey), or what his opinions are on relationships, parenting, or any other personal stuff.  That's not why I tune in.  I understand that there is merit in establishing a relationship with listeners that include things in common, but when it's all about 'me', I tune out.

March 14, 2018 4:33 pm  #4

Charlie wrote:

the new-fangled morning show is 50% better, thanks to Stafford.  I don't actually mind Gurney, other than the non-stop self-referencing.

With respect, I disagree.  It's hard to process Mike's mindset when (in his old time slot) he repeatedly said he hates interviews and doesn't want to do mornings.  (he's obviously doing both now).  Mike is way out of his element here.  The drive clock is far too restrictive for his preferred freeform formatting.  No offence to morning show hosts, but a well-constructed clock and a great producer make that shift compatible with anyone doing that shift ala a monkey playing with cymbals.  Mikey needs to go back to 9 and 640 needs to fire the giggler, the narcissist and the yeller.  Bring in some true talent and really be a talk contender.

March 16, 2018 8:55 am  #5

* HIC! *

March 16, 2018 10:10 am  #6

Liver: "Haaalp"

March 17, 2018 7:25 am  #7

Speaking of 'I, Me, My' Gurney, I just checked out Toronto Mike's radio blog for the first time since the 640 show shuffle.  OUCH!  Nearly 200 comments on the morning switches, and with the exception of a couple defending Spaghetti's intelligence, all scathing.  Stafford is obviously much-loved by listeners, but Gurney and Dwivedi are pilloried for their egos and on-air personalities.  Gurney having his own show gets a good half of the hate.  Can't see any of these changes helping the ratings improve at all.  If anything, they might get even worse, if that's possible.