sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Wed Mar 21 4:53 pm  #1

No WGRF/WHTT on Tunein

I have a Sonos box hooked up to my stereo and the radio reception comes from Tunein. As of today, 96.9 and 104.1 are not available. I can receive both stations on my phone through Simple Radio which is fine at work. Is there possibly a licensing squabble between the parties over rights/streaming fees?  Similar to what has happened several times between the Buffalo TV stations and cable companies over carriage fees. Particularly WIVB. This may be a temporary situation but I enjoy both stations. Not a happy camper at the present time.

Wed Mar 21 5:29 pm  #2

Re: No WGRF/WHTT on Tunein

I can get 97 Rock on Tunein no problem on Google Home, so it's still there somehow .  No luck on 104.1 though.  It could just be their streaming is down for whatever reason though.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

Wed Mar 21 5:55 pm  #3

Am enjoying WHTT FM 104.1 out of Lockport (Buffalo) NY on the 11 year old tuner in my daily driver heading north on Hwy 400.    Once I get over the rise beyond Holland Marsh it will magically become FM 104.1 Midland, ON.    Both are entertaining broadcasters.    No complaints from here.

Me

Wed Mar 21 6:39 pm  #4

Hey IG. I did a bit of research. Both stations are owned by Cumulus as is WEDG 103.3 and 1270 WHLD. 1270 and 103.3 I can receive. I will call them tomorrow to see what the problem is. Maybe it is a streaming issue with Tune in. I am not much of a techie guy.

Wed Mar 21 6:52 pm  #5

Here's the tunein links:

https://tunein.com/radio/WHLD-1270-s29349/
https://tunein.com/radio/1033-The-Edge-s28443/

Both appear to be up an running so maybe it's a spotify thing.  I _believe_ spotify uses vTuner for theri database so it could be that also.  

See why terrestrial is so much easier

Turn on the radio, punch the numbers in, if you get static, it's not working .

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

Thu Mar 22 11:06 am  #6

Well I decided to contact Cumulus Buffalo this morning to find out about the loss of 97Rock and ClassicHits104.1. The first thing I discovered is their switchboard is only open 11AM-5PM. Most companies I know are reachable 9-5. The receptionist advised me to contact "Corporate Headquarters" in Atlanta. Apparently, there was nobody at the Buffalo location who could help. The impression I received is that HO in Atlanta makes all the steaming decisions. I called and after about 20 rings I got an answering machine greeting to leave a message. No Corporate greeting with a press one for this press two for that etc. If I don't hear back, maybe I will try the email route. 

Fri Mar 23 12:33 pm  #7

Interesting. So streaming is not a money issue? 
http://www.insideradio.com/free/cumulus-gets-greenlight-on-bankruptcy-disclosure-plan/article_1e0a6c4e-0b0f-11e8-9518-efeacea8bb3d.html

Last edited by Radiowiz (Fri Mar 23 12:42 pm)

Fri Mar 23 3:42 pm  #8

It seems that Tune-in radio may be using "geo-filtering" to block listeners in Canada.  Good old reciva Radio app still allows access to the stations on Grace streaming radios, iphone and other devices.  I suspect that they haven't been geo-blocked yet.

Fri Mar 23 3:45 pm  #9

Easy solution -- if you have Facebook, install their "Protect" app.  It's a FREE VPN that makes sites believe you're in San Diego, California.  Yes, I know it's Facebook -- unlike some, I'm not paranoid they are tracking my every movement.