sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2018 1:15 pm  #1

Andrew Lawton Gone

From his Facebook:

Five years ago, the radio show dubbed ‘Canada’s most irreverent talk show’ first went to air.As of today, the Andrew Lawton Show is no more.I would have loved to have said goodbye on air, but this will have to do.

When I embarked upon this journey, I had no formal radio training, nor had I envisioned a life in media. But I had passion and drive—and that was enough for a program director to take a chance on me.

This wasn’t the end I’d imagined, but know that I have no regrets about the show’s run.

From Justin Trudeau blundering on foreign policy, to Stephen Harper accusing Trudeau of having a “deep distrust and dislike” of the Canadian military, to me being the first on the scene of a thwarted terrorism attack in southwestern Ontario, my show went beyond the boundaries of London, and beyond the confines of the studio.

We went to the stories.

We made headlines.From the start, I wanted the show to not only champion the values of liberty, free speech, and conservatism, but also serve as a vehicle for conservations absent from Canada’s media landscape.Mission accomplished.It wasn’t all serious.

My listeners and I laughed with Florence Henderson, got inspired by Maya Angelou, learned about life with disabilities from Itzhak Perlman, and even got coffee tips from Aerosmith’s Joey Kramer.We held politicians to account. Sparked change in government. And tried to understand why the world is the way it is

.I learned. I laughed. I cried. And, at one point, I had a producer rush into the studio with tissues because my nose was bleeding (the show must go on—and it did).

All of this was possible because of an incredible audience that learned, laughed, and cried with me.

For that,I thank you.I don’t know what the future holds, but you haven’t heard the last of me yet.For the last time—for now—thank you, God bless and good day London

Last edited by grilled.cheese (March 27, 2018 1:16 pm)

March 27, 2018 8:00 pm  #2

Re: Andrew Lawton Gone

I wondered why he was not on today.

In the Southwestern Ontario radio reception area Mr. Lawton the most compelling talk show. He presented many diverse topics including a fair amount of London content as well as national / international stories. His show continued to get better as time went on and was extended from two to three hours a year or so ago. I believe he had good audience numbers.

He shone a light on aspects or sides of stories in the mainstream media where information was not fully revealed or facts were under reported. Several times I learned things that no one else was saying. He seemed adapt at doing good show preparation and research.

Mr. Lawton always managed to get interesting and (usually) well informed guests and even if he disagreed with them he did so respectfully.

He made no bones about his conservative / Christian values and belief in smaller government. This did not endear him to those on the left.

I have no idea what happened to take him off the air; I hope he received a better offer. I always thought he was too big a talent for a small or mid-market station and would go far in radio and move on to bigger stations. Here's hoping he will.

I will definitely miss the show and the knowledge gained from listening to it. CFPL has got big shoes to fill.

FWIW, I do not know Mr. Lawton and have no affiliation with him.

Last edited by darcyh (March 27, 2018 8:01 pm)

March 27, 2018 8:12 pm  #3

his death warrant was signed around this time
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/exclusive-media-giant-blocks-radio-host-from-speaking-at-canadas-march-for
corus don't like rocking boats and controversy

April 12, 2018 12:47 pm  #4

April 22, 2018 8:20 am  #5

WindsorWatcher wrote:

Lawton eyes seat in provincial election
http://lfpress.com/news/local-news/radio-host-eyeing-london-west-tory-nomination

And now it's his to win, after Doug Ford appointed 11 people to be candidates. Lawton is one of them, much to the dismay of another would-be PC contender in the riding. 

Doug Ford skips contested nomination, appoints radio host to London riding

May 8, 2018 8:53 am  #6

PC candidate Andrew Lawton seems to be trying to head a sort of "Tanya Granic Allen" backlash off at the pass, with the former CFPL (and occasional fill-in AM 640) host admitting to "mental illness" issues that may have clouded his judgment in the past and insisting it's not who he is now.

Allen was dumped by the Conservatives last week, after some hateful videos of her speaking about same sex marriage surfaced. Clearly, Lawton has some skeletons lurking in his digital closet and this is how he hopes to get over them if they surface.

PC candidate Andrew Lawton admits to 'reckless' past

May 8, 2018 10:25 am  #7

Mental Illness IS NOT something that can be "cured"; it can only be "contained". Anyone and everyone that suffers with mental illness knows this. Those that don't are using it as an excuse to get out of things.

May 8, 2018 2:06 pm  #8

Hmmmm.  What are you going to do?

May 10, 2018 2:18 pm  #9