sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sat Mar 31 2:43 pm  #1

Well This Is Awkward

I'm reaching out to radio hobbiests and FM DXers who drop by here. I'd like to see if they know anything about a certain pirate operating outside the GTA. I won't go into too many specifics but the one I'm referring to:

- Plays classic and progressive rock.
- Appears to broadcast from just outside the GTA.
- Enjoys significant coverage. Probably covers a cumulative population of well over 250,000 people (my estimate).
- Has been around for a couple of years at least.
- Is on the air without fail anytime I'm driving through the station's coverage area.
- Transmits on a frequency first adjacent to an FM station broadcasting from the CN Tower.

Just wondering how this person manages to stay on the air without being shut down.

I've got mixed emotions around opening up this conversation. I believe in complying with regulations. I've had a ham radio license for years and always operate well within the parameters of my license. That said, it's not my want to see this person caught and shut down. He/she isn't interfering with my radio listening experience, although there are likely others he/she is interfering with.

I don't believe our regulatory decision making has served the listening public well over the decades - especially the last decade or so. In my judgement, he/she is offering some diversity in a market with a painful level of duplication.

Speaking of pirates, back in the 80s there was a pirate from Toronto Island with programming dedicated to the local residents - although anyone with a good car radio or home antenna could hear it on certain parts of the mainland. They only broadcast on Sunday evenings. It was a great way of getting to know what island life was like. Kind of exotic.

Anyway, anyone want to jump into this? DM me if you prefer.

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (Sat Mar 31 2:45 pm)

Sat Mar 31 5:30 pm  #2

Re: Well This Is Awkward

I remember reading about a station that apparently operates within low power parameters  ( is that possible ?) close to downtown TO and goes on the air I believe once a week but it does not sound like this one. Surprised I have not heard this one yet.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

Sat Mar 31 6:11 pm  #3

Good for whoever it is.  A person who just loves good music can out-program almost ANY Music/Program director combo currently employed anywhere with 200 miles of the GTA.  What shyte these 'pros' spew.

Sun Apr 1 9:01 am  #4

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

- Is on the air without fail anytime I'm driving through the station's coverage area.
- Transmits on a frequency first adjacent to an FM station broadcasting from the CN Tower

Can you be a little more specific please?

Sun Apr 1 10:32 am  #5

Fitz wrote:

I remember reading about a station that apparently operates within low power parameters  ( is that possible ?) close to downtown TO and goes on the air I believe once a week but it does not sound like this one.

Someone told me once the Toronto Island station was 10 watts with antenna on a flagpole. That lack of height would have been a real liability in terms of coverage.

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (Sun Apr 1 10:33 am)

Mon Apr 2 12:09 am  #6

East, North or West of the GTA?