sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2018 7:25 am  #1

Mike in the Morning

How is Stafford doing in the new morning show?  Every time I put it on, Moon Unit is droning on, and I switch back to 1010 to escape.  I sure miss him between 9 and noon.

April 5, 2018 7:54 am  #2

Re: Mike in the Morning

Charlie wrote:

How is Stafford doing in the new morning show?  Every time I put it on, Moon Unit is droning on, and I switch back to 1010 to escape.

Well, in the 9am-noon slot, he repeatedly said he HATES doing phoners -- he's doing plenty of them now.

He emphatically stated he didn't want mornings -- he's doing mornings.

I have a vague recollection that he said, once, he never wanted a co-host -- he has a co host now.

Make your conclusions from there. 

April 5, 2018 9:55 am  #3

Panels, he doesn't like panels, but he's a professional broadcaster so he does them. Same with the other points.In a perfect world, he'd be be alone - perhaps with Malkin & Purdon, taking calls and having a poke at me and you and Jurassic Park.

April 5, 2018 9:58 am  #4

tc143 wrote:

he's a professional broadcaster

That.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 5, 2018 10:04 am  #5

Jurassic Park is a great  film. 

April 5, 2018 10:35 am  #6

ig wrote:

tc143 wrote:

he's a professional broadcaster

That.

I agree.  But, you can't fake passion and enthusiasm.  Listeners see (or hear) right through that.  Yes, it's an honor to work mornings and he certainly was due.  But, the question remains:  having such an illustrious career, is it mere ego that forced the acceptance of the shift?  How much choice did he have?  Surely, after all these years, he's earned the right to cherry pick his slot.  So, what's the real scoop here?  Is this Coruses last attempt at making Fetch a thing?

April 7, 2018 4:13 pm  #7

They threw the cashola at him is my bet.

He's the best there is in Toronto.

In a perfect world he'd be on 9 to noon on 1010, but I don't mind using the pre-sets going up and down the dial from 640 to 1010. The round-tables or panels on both stations are getting stale. I think they'd work better with less politicians or recovering politicians -- all of whom have very little to say.

What gives the panels energy are the men- and women-about-town like your Richard Crouse, Michael Coren, Anne Lagacé Dowson and others. Basically folks who don't come with canned talking points from their organizations or political parties.

Last edited by MississaugaAndrew (April 7, 2018 4:14 pm)

April 7, 2018 4:53 pm  #8

.Mark in the Morning. was a popular show in Thunder Bay in the early 1980s.

April 7, 2018 4:56 pm  #9

cGrant wrote:

...you can't fake passion and enthusiasm. Listeners see (or hear) right through that.

Are you suggesting that those Frank Leo ads voiced by popular jocks are ineffective?

April 7, 2018 9:44 pm  #10

Chrisphen wrote:

Are you suggesting that those Frank Leo ads voiced by popular jocks are ineffective?

Seriously?!  C'mon. The wording of that stale script is full of holes in logic.  "Use the agent that xxx and I would use if..." -- so, they haven't actually used that broker? And, yet, in the span of them fronting his ads, they actually did move and DIDN'T use the agent? What does that say?  And, that stat of he sells "100 to 1" of other agents?  An absurd claim.  They are comparing him (AND his team of agents and offices) to other single agents.  That's quite the unfair and statistically invalid statement. 

Look, if a sponsor has THAT much money that they can have multiple shills on multiple stations, clearly, they are far too busy to give a buyer/seller their undivided attention.  Those absurd claims are nothing more than elevated hyperbole.