sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Wed Apr 11 3:51 pm  #1


What the hell are they talking about?!

There are two radio spots running frequently now that only the true Illuminati can decode:

1)  There is a car guy that perpetually introduces himself with the "@"-sign shouting into the mic about -- if you've been following me, you know I never am on here talking about sales.  Ummm, excuse me?!  That's ALL you ever talk about!  Always!

2)  There is a certain pizza ad, voiced by a guy with a horrible Cockney accent, talking about his half-brother in a rainy day.  The current script has the same guy telling us about how he discovered he's 73% Italian and that's why he had chest-hair in grade 2.  Ummm, what the eff?

Does someone here have a Star Trek-inspired Universal Translator to clear this up?  

 

Wed Apr 11 6:21 pm  #2


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

cGrant wrote:

2)  There is a certain pizza ad, voiced by a guy with a horrible Cockney accent, talking about his half-brother in a rainy day.  The current script has the same guy telling us about how he discovered he's 73% Italian and that's why he had chest-hair in grade 2.  Ummm, what the eff?

7 FREE SEX FREE SEX FREE SEX goes in one ear and out the other in 2018 so they had to try something new to get your attention instead.  
 

 

Wed Apr 11 6:45 pm  #3


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

You had me at free sex. 🤭😏

But, seriously, that tag is rather effective in being an earwig to the listener.

     Thread Starter
 

Thu Apr 12 11:40 am  #4


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

The ad that's making me cringe the last few days is the one that starts out with a cheerful mother talking about "Happy Healthy brand baby food" and turns into an ad for responsible gambling, or maybe a gambling help association.. It's clunky, awkward and totally fails.

The ad I am enjoying, and stopping to listen to every time I hear it, is the one with the talking tick selling an insecticide for pets. The writing is solid, the character voice is distinctive, and the ad's fun and well done. Curiously enough, there's another kind of talking tick on the radio, however this species of tick can only be found on certain panels and roundtables.

Last edited by betaylored (Thu Apr 12 11:41 am)

 

Thu Apr 12 12:02 pm  #5


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

If you're talking about Greg Carrasco always referring to himself as @gregcarrasco I would have agreed a while back when he first started doing it, but now it honestly doesn't seem so strange.  I get it referring to yourself by your twitter handle is a bit out there, but if you think outside the box, there's probably more people will find him using that than his name.  

I got so fed up trying to spell out my first name correctly for e-mail,  (@iaingrant.com) i ended up just registering my cell number dot com as a doman, and now when I give out my phone number, I can also just say the e-mail address is ig@ the phone number dot com.  Whoever iangrant.com is, is probably getting a lot less strange e-mails.

@ijg 
 


Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
 
 

Thu Apr 12 12:20 pm  #6


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

ig wrote:

If you're talking about Greg Carrasco always referring to himself as @gregcarrasco I would have agreed a while back when he first started doing it, but now it honestly doesn't seem so strange.  I get it referring to yourself by your twitter handle is a bit out there, but if you think outside the box, there's probably more people will find him using that than his name.  

I thought it was bizarre when he first started it and still find it odd.  That said, the point of my thread starter was:

cGrant wrote:

There is a car guy that perpetually introduces himself with the "@"-sign shouting into the mic about -- if you've been following me, you know I never am on here talking about sales.  Ummm, excuse me?!  That's ALL you ever talk about!  Always! 

It's a bold-faced lie -- all he ever talks about is endless sales ad nauseum.  This is also my beef about certain mens' clothing stores where they have never-ending sales.  Under Ontario law, in order to call something a "sale", it MUST have been sold at regular price for a specific length of time.  Instead, both clothiers claim, "brand xyz just came in and it's already 80% off!"  That's just not right -- and why do those said clothiers have brands that nobody was ever heard of?  If I'm going to spend ridiculous amounts of scratch for a product, I, at least. want to wear something that has some cache.

Oh, and a certain former-screaming chain now has a claim that their bobbles will "fool even the professionals"!  Ummm... what? Are they selling counterfeit glass or are they implying that those "professionals" are stupid?

And, what's with all the Alexa and Google Home spots?  Why bother?  I can talk to my mobile already and they can do as I command.  Geez.  

 

     Thread Starter
 

Thu Apr 12 1:08 pm  #7


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

I've given up listening to Craig Garrasco.  The three hours of narcissism are too much for this sandwich. 

 

Thu Apr 12 5:52 pm  #8


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

As for that 'certain pizza ad', the voice is Brian George, who was born in Jerusalum.  His father was born in Iraq, his mother was born in India., Brian and family moved to London, England when he was 1 and came to Toronto when Brian was 16.  He attended.the University of Toronto and was a member of Second City Toronto.  Wikipedia says he still lives in Toronto.  Hollywood called and on "Seinfeld", he played the failed Pakistani restaurant owner Babu Bhatt.  One "Big Bang Theory", he plays Raj's father.  He's been voicing those Pizzaville commercials for over 25 years.  They were/are so popular that a couple of years ago, Pizzaville gave out a CD collection of the radio commercials with a medium pizza.  

 

Thu Apr 12 11:01 pm  #9


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

With respect, SO?  What does the voice actor have to do with the absurd current copy of the ad?  Are you implying he wrote it, because I, for one, know he most certainly did not.

     Thread Starter
 

Fri Apr 13 1:00 am  #10


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

grilled.cheese wrote:

I've given up listening to Craig Garrasco.  The three hours of narcissism are too much for this sandwich. 

I've seen him on a YouTube ad, and was a bit surprised because he looks just like he sounds. (If anyone can actually look like they sound.)

Sidenote:
ICYMI yesterday was #NationalGrilledCheeseDay.

Last edited by betaylored (Fri Apr 13 1:09 am)

 

Fri Apr 13 1:55 am  #11


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

cGrant wrote:

With respect, SO?  What does the voice actor have to do with the absurd current copy of the ad?  Are you implying he wrote it, because I, for one, know he most certainly did not.

With respect, I found the post interesting.  Not everything in a thread has to be dead-centered on your target.
 

 

Fri Apr 13 8:27 am  #12


Re: What the hell are they talking about?!

cGrant wrote:

With respect, SO?  What does the voice actor have to do with the absurd current copy of the ad?  Are you implying he wrote it, because I, for one, know he most certainly did not.

​Good grief you're annoying. Shut up already and stop complaining about every single thing all the time.