sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Fri Apr 13 4:30 pm  #1


CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

 

Fri Apr 13 4:54 pm  #2


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

Why would the execs be worried; taxpayer money has that effect.  Maybe if they added another fourteen additional anchors?

 

Fri Apr 13 6:13 pm  #3


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

cGrant wrote:

Why would the execs be worried; taxpayer money has that effect.  Maybe if they added another fourteen additional anchors?

Because tax payer money does not increase to cover a drop in ratings.
Ad revenue is ad revenue. Tax dollars are only a small part of the full big picture.
 

 

Fri Apr 13 7:20 pm  #4


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

Radiowiz wrote:

Tax dollars are only a small part of the full big picture.
 

 
Well, if they're so small, cut them out entirely, and let me decide where I spend my money on amusement.

 

Fri Apr 13 9:40 pm  #5


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

I'll have to dig up the documents, but I remember reading that Radio-Canada actually pulls in more ad-revenue than CBC despite French not being universally known.
 

“The numbers we’re seeing on television are well within what we expected the numbers to be at this point in its evolution,” Jennifer McGuire, the general manager and editor-in-chief of CBC News, said in an interview.
[...]
But it is down from the 525,000 average viewership of the 2016-17 TV season, which concluded at the end of last August. And it is off sharply from the CBC’s own projections provided to advertisers, which forecast viewership at a more robust 532,000.

So you sell advertisers a viewership increase, experience a viewership decrease and now you claim you expected a decline all along? Did Jennifer just admit to fraud?

That very sad attempt to save face aside, I can't imagine many people in the private sector would keep their jobs after promising an increase in viewership only to experience a decline.

 

Fri Apr 13 9:55 pm  #6


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

The reason is because the new format sucks large....when I see anchors interview each other or watch 2 anchors perform at 60 sec news update it reminds me of TSN or Sportsnet teleprompter readers giving me a lame egocentric, comedic spiel....plus Rosie is no anchor....let her do the political panel stuff...have Ian do the news as he does so well and have Adrienne go off to foreign lands and be the ace correspondent she is...they should go back to the Nash and Frum days...do a 20 min hard news National with Ian then go old school Journal style with Rosie with Adrienne reporting from Syria or Tanzania or Ghana or etc...

 

Fri Apr 13 10:03 pm  #7


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

cGrant wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Tax dollars are only a small part of the full big picture.
 

 
Well, if they're so small, cut them out entirely, and let me decide where I spend my money on amusement.

Have to agree with cGrant on this one. If CBC wasn't so dependent on taxpayer dollars, this ratings issue would be a much bigger concern for McGuire. Wonder what her response would be if the ratings were down even further, say to 350,000? Would she have "expected" that?

And you have to love that spin. Numbers are below what you expected, and promised advertisers, so you say "we expected that" and chalk it up to the fact that people have to get used to the program. Numbers are above what you expected, so you say "we expected that" because you just knew that the new show would resonate with Canadians. Works both ways!

If you promise advertisers that you will see 532,000, but end up with 460,000 (nearly 15% off), you're going to have some concerned advertisers who bought in expecting higher numbers. TV Advertisers also won't like the excuse that the show needs "time to grow" on the audience.

And where views online (Youtube, etc.) are concerned. Sure, they're getting hits on their content, but how many views are people who view more than once for over 30 seconds (YouTube) or 3 seconds (Facebook)? And how many viewers are non-Canadians from around the globe?

Here's another G&M piece on The National, this one from the ever controversial John Doyle.

 

Fri Apr 13 10:47 pm  #8


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

Unwatchable tripe.

 

Fri Apr 13 10:49 pm  #9


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

Canada is a small market. Unless you pay Twitter to have your live stream auto play to fluff up your numbers (which should be absolutely meaningless to advertisers), you're likely not adding more than 5000 live viewers across all platforms and that's probably a very optimistic amount.

YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, Periscope and Twitter give out live audience numbers. Maybe one day I'll check in on The National across the platforms.

 

Sat Apr 14 12:03 pm  #10


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

Fjiri wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Tax dollars are only a small part of the full big picture.
 

 
Well, if they're so small, cut them out entirely, and let me decide where I spend my money on amusement.

Have to agree with cGrant on this one.

I'm afraid you're right.  May be the first time ever...but I agree as well.  Way to go 'c'!!!  You finally got one right.  Shyte IS bad for business
 


The less 'Cyber Space' knows about me the better.  As a result I do not use my real name.  I would be willing to use yours' though.  No?  OK then.  So you 'get' it.  We're good.
 

Sat Apr 14 12:39 pm  #11


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

cGrant wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Tax dollars are only a small part of the full big picture.
 

 
Well, if they're so small, cut them out entirely, and let me decide where I spend my money on amusement.

That's not how it works. 
I have to pay taxes to fund my local public school but yet I have no kids.
There is no shortage of things we pay taxes for that we do not use. 
It's all there for a reason. We don't have to like the reason but it's still good to fund these things.
I happen to believe we do not pay enough taxes for CBC, but in exchange for paying more, I would like to see a lot more Canadian content and also have a lot more say in what will air on CBC...in fact, as a tax payer right now as is, I would like to have more say as to what is shown on CBC.
Time for more Canadian game shows!!  
 

 

Sun Apr 15 9:13 pm  #12


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

Why is our public broadcaster telling such bold faced lies?

Viewership numbers for The National’s live stream on YouTube and Twitter are also increasing, according to CBC research, with audiences regularly numbering about 20,000 on each platform.

I just checked their social media accounts. They're not getting anywhere near 20k viewers per platform. They're not even getting anything close to 20k in total.
https://i.imgur.com/7HZplkK.png

https://i.imgur.com/8YV8sxt.png

https://i.imgur.com/vhb2bEm.png

https://i.imgur.com/cJFeQoB.png

https://i.imgur.com/QwgYfMI.png


The bottom one is from Periscope, which is the same as Twitter. I'm not sure if their two Facebook streams are the same. I'll be charitable and say they aren't. 3700 across all platforms. Did the 33,000 other people CBC claims are regularly watching their streams just not care for Sunday news?

You can check for yourself:
facebook.com/cbcthenational
facebook.com/cbcnews
twitter.com/cbcthenational
youtube.com/cbcthenational

40,000 for "regular" live streaming viewership in Canada is so comically high. I'm disappointed The Globe didn't call them out on that. The only way they're hitting those numbers are from huge news stories (which don't come at any regular interval) or if they're paying for placement on the home pages of Twitter and Facebook. Which, like I said earlier, should be considered worthless by advertisers since most people don't stick around.

 

Sun Apr 15 9:36 pm  #13


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

From facebook.com/cbcthenational

http://i63.tinypic.com/19qfxg.jpg

Last edited by Prod Guy (Sun Apr 15 9:39 pm)

 

Sun Apr 15 10:46 pm  #14


Re: CBC's 'The National' Down In The Ratings, But Execs. Not Worried

Prod Guy wrote:

From facebook.com/cbcthenational

http://i63.tinypic.com/19qfxg.jpg

Those aren't live viewers.

Facebook's auto plays all saved videos and counts those as views. It's the equivalent of counting every person who channel surfed over as a viewer.