sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sun Apr 22 6:10 am  #1


Murray Westgate . . .

Turned 100 years old on Monday (funny thing, I expected Uncle Fester and Old Codger to jump in on this one, maybe they're still at Murray's party)

Last edited by Kilgore (Sun Apr 22 11:06 am)

 

Sun Apr 22 3:02 pm  #2


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

Too busy putting all of my old hockey coins back into those plastic 'plaques' you had to pick up at ESSO.  Good ol' Murray.  100?  Old enough to be my Dad.  I know 3 different guys in their 90s.  Golf with one of 'em.  But 100?  Now that's gettin' UP there.  Maybe life begins at 75...even 80?  I hope to find out... ... ...someday.

Happy motoring!

 

Sun Apr 22 4:39 pm  #3


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

The Star did an article on Westgate's milestone a week ago 

Hockey Night in Canada’s original TV pitchman turns 100

 

Sun Apr 22 6:21 pm  #4


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

My first memory of Murray Westgate was as host of Junior Roundup.  Then, of course, hockey...

 

Sun Apr 22 7:18 pm  #5


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

I remember Mr. Westgate very well.

Congrats on his 100th B-day.

I had a great grandmother who lived to be 103 - had the opportunity to know her.

People get freaked out when I tell them she was born in 1865.

Speaking of 1865 & getting back to Mr. Westgate -- on his recommendation I once put a tiger in my tank.

S.O.B. ate my muffler...


"I'll kick your ass down Yonge Street"... CFTR's Robert Holiday circa 1979...
 

Sun Apr 22 8:26 pm  #6


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

unclefester wrote:

S.O.B. ate my muffler...

Don't you mean Esso B?

 

Sun Apr 22 9:58 pm  #7


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

unclefester wrote:

I had a great grandmother who lived to be 103 - had the opportunity to know her.

People get freaked out when I tell them she was born in 1865.

That is impressive. I had a great-grandfather who died in 1880. I sometimes have to explain that it's because of second and third marriages involving back-to-back generations.

 

Sun Apr 22 10:25 pm  #8


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

Lorne wrote:

unclefester wrote:

I had a great grandmother who lived to be 103 - had the opportunity to know her.

People get freaked out when I tell them she was born in 1865.

That is impressive. I had a great-grandfather who died in 1880. I sometimes have to explain that it's because of second and third marriages involving back-to-back generations.

Great grandfather died in 1880 -- that DOES sound hard to do - any idea how old he was?

I've asked around online etc.to see if anyone has ever met someone born earlier than 1865 - no takers yet...

But I'm sure there are more than a few...
 


"I'll kick your ass down Yonge Street"... CFTR's Robert Holiday circa 1979...
 

Sun Apr 22 10:25 pm  #9


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

RadioActive wrote:

unclefester wrote:

S.O.B. ate my muffler...

Don't you mean Esso B?

....ahem.....
 


"I'll kick your ass down Yonge Street"... CFTR's Robert Holiday circa 1979...
 

Mon Apr 23 11:22 am  #10


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

unclefester wrote:

Great grandfather died in 1880 -- that DOES sound hard to do - any idea how old he was?
 

We don't know for sure because he deliberately obscured his true name and origins, but according to what was passed down through the family he was born in 1817. If that was the case, he would have been 62 when he died. But what makes the situation so unusual is that not only would he have been 53 when my grandfather was born, but my grandfather was definitely 53 when my father was born. 

 

Tue Apr 24 3:07 pm  #11


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

I remember seeing Mr. Westgate's Esso commercials on Hockey Night in Canada as a young boy.  He was such a convincing presence in his service station uniform that many people thought he actually worked for Imperial Oil.

 

Wed Apr 25 12:49 pm  #12


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

Chuck99 wrote:

     many people thought he actually worked for Imperial Oil.

He did (indirectly), no?
 

     Thread Starter
 

Wed Apr 25 3:01 pm  #13


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

Kilgore wrote:

Chuck99 wrote:

     many people thought he actually worked for Imperial Oil.

He did (indirectly), no?
 

He was a paid spokesman for the company.  But, because he wore an Imperial Oil uniform in the commercials, many didn't realize he was an actor and thought he actually ran his own service station.
 

 

Wed Apr 25 3:05 pm  #14


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

Chuck99 wrote:

 many didn't realize he was an actor and thought he actually ran his own service station. 

Well, then, I'd say that was a successful ad campaign.
 

 

Thu May 3 7:53 am  #15


Re: Murray Westgate . . .

Westgate would make an excellent guest on one of the better AM 740 programs, for example Gene Stevens' Sunday afternoon show.     He (Westgate, not Stevens) is in Sunnybrook Veterans Centre