sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2018 4:10 pm  #2

Re: Toronto's New FM Station: ELMNT.FM 106.5

Meh...

June 13, 2018 4:26 pm  #3

What are its call letters?

June 13, 2018 4:30 pm  #4

How is this situation different from the tribe that dramatically failed?    In other words, why didn't this group (assuming it is fresh talent) not simply step in when I. Grant and D. Andrews did? 

June 13, 2018 4:52 pm  #5

HOW is this station expected to make money and hit ratings? Not to be politically incorrect, but, is there even an audience at that ERP to justify the format? Multilingual programming IS needed in Toronto and is still underserved, despite CHIN's progress. But this?! (tax depreciation write-off perhaps?)

I sometimes scan APTN's television offerings. Guess what? Mostly in the English language and absolutely nothing to do with aboriginal presence. Sometimes, just sometimes, our desire to be all-inclusive goes way too far. After all, it is a business, is it not?

June 13, 2018 6:18 pm  #6

but you have to wonder what is it about, for example, Murray Porter, who is an amazing blues artist, that the blues stations don’t play him?” says Jean La Rose, Chief Executive Officer of APTN

Solid understanding of the business you're entering, Mr. CEO.

June 13, 2018 6:49 pm  #7

They originally had planned to be on air by National Indigenous Peoples Day on June 21st, which is just over a week away. Given that there's been no sign of a test signal on the frequency, I'm guessing they're not going to make that date. 

June 13, 2018 6:54 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

They originally had planned to be on air by National Indigenous Peoples Day on June 21st, which is just over a week away. Given that there's been no sign of a test signal on the frequency, I'm guessing they're not going to make that date. 

It IS still very possible. According to IC regulations, the test signal MANY include actual programming. Most people assume it must be a loop of varying liners, but regulations are such that any output is acceptable as test Tx.

June 13, 2018 7:08 pm  #9

that is correct.  music, liners, and even live hosts are acceptable, however no advertising unless there is local content.

June 14, 2018 12:45 am  #10

if you wanna get pissy about it then the crtc only did what the gov't mandated them to do in the broadcasting act of 1986....

(iii) through its programming and the employment opportunities arising out of its operations, serve the needs and interests, and reflect the circumstances and aspirations, of Canadian men, women and children, including equal rights, the linguistic duality and multicultural and multiracial nature of Canadian society and the special place of aboriginal peoples within that society

June 14, 2018 12:47 am  #11

i should note that I DO NOT work for the crtc.... i just happen to know stuff about them

June 14, 2018 10:23 am  #12

If it's done well - and that is a very big IF - it should reflect Aboriginal people and culture to all people, not just Aboriginal people, in the coverage area. It should engage Aboriginal people in radio production, especially those who are not engaged in it. Done properly, it could offer people the opportunity of a lifetime.

It does not have to be a business, per se - it could function along the lines of community radio. I don't know what APTN plans in that regard. But even if it functions as community radio, and doesn't chase ratings, it has to produce programming that is compelling in some form, it has to serve some aspect of social good, and it has to be run with some degree of business-mindedness. It has to raise capital, balance its books, compensate paid staff adequately, meet CRTC and other obligations, and such. And APTN may be an ideal owner - I hope it will leverage its new radio properties and think multi-media and multi-platform. The radio spectrum is really at its core a delivery truck. The content, potentially conveyed in multiple complementary forms, is the product.

In other words I hope it does a helluva lot more than play Murray Porter even though he is an awesome blues musician who who - I'll agree with the author in the article linked to in the original post in this thread - deserves to be more widely aired on radio.

Last edited by Saul (June 14, 2018 10:25 am)

June 14, 2018 11:57 am  #13

The major flaw is this is one of the few cases where it should have been an AM station with a large footprint.   

Within months you’ll be hearing complaints about the FM coverage area, or lack of, and how a power increase is required to even consider making this s going concern.

That AM coverage is what is required to make this concept a success.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 14, 2018 12:09 pm  #14

Speaking of power and signal - are they just going to be firing up their existing 106.5 transmitter atop FCP at the same power level as before?  The signal reception was pretty good before.

June 14, 2018 9:52 pm  #15

Irvine wrote:

@Saul

The one flaw in your logic is that native culture is extremely diverse & programming is very regional. The language, culture and traditions of Plains Cree are a million miles from Mikm'aq.  It's very difficult to program a radio network when you're dealing with dozens of different cultures & multiple languages.  Secondly, native youth are quite savvy with technology (they seemed to prefer iPhones for example).  Many native bands have developed their own language and cultural apps to connect with youth.  One foot in Canadian culture, another in their own.  I can't see FM radio playing a big part of anything native culture.  APTN makes more sense & just needs to get more digital.  Problem is they have a very small budget. 

Good points. Effort has to be made to be local and regional as well as offering some degree of network functionality in news and music and other programming. I have run into vibrant FM stations in just about every Aboriginal community I've visited in Canada. From Mikm'aq in Quebec and New Brunswick to Innu in Labrador (Nitassinan). KILI is huge in Pine Ridge South Dakota. Close to home we have 92.3 on Georgina Island and 105.9 (I think that's the frequency) in Tyendinaga. and several in southwestern Ontario.

Aboriginal language and traditions are very much oral; perfect for radio. But as I said in my post, FM (and AM, which I think is closer to its end than FM) is (are) just the delivery truck for the content. You're right in that the medium is shifting, and we're in a state of flux. But if APTN plays its cards right they'll find ways to leverage their existing assets and talent, build relationships with outside businesses and nonprofits and the like, and think and act creatively.

Toronto is also a multicultural mecca and that includes Aboriginal peoples from across Canada (and beyond, actually). So to some extent are Canada's other big cities. Perfect places to originate programming to serve a diverse (as you correctly assert) group. 

I see a glass more than half full...

June 14, 2018 10:04 pm  #16

ig wrote:

The major flaw is this is one of the few cases where it should have been an AM station with a large footprint.

Within months you’ll be hearing complaints about the FM coverage area, or lack of, and how a power increase is required to even consider making this s going concern.

That AM coverage is what is required to make this concept a success.

Iain, With AM, the complaint would be streetcar tracks, fluorescent lights, night-time interference, and more. 106.5 under Aboriginal Voices did a decent enough job covering the city proper. One might argue that 106.3 would be better. One could compare the success of 103.9 to the likelihood of 106.3 succeeding because both channels have to account for stations in Peterborough (103.9 also has Woodstock to contend with). These Ontario towns would not present the same kind of lake-induced interference (when signals from immediately across the lake get enhanced).

To be a success APTN will have to eventually diversify its platforms. A smart media organization will get the ball rolling and have a firm eye on the future and the agility to act on a dime (by getting involved in even small ways in the future).

June 14, 2018 11:21 pm  #17

hey.  just a thought... how about letting them get on the air and actually work out programming bugs for a year or so before crowning them dead in the water?

June 15, 2018 12:03 pm  #18

oral + imagery = that's why ultimately multimedia is the way to go. But radio on its own ... it stirs the imagination. You can do things with radio you can't when there are images / video....

June 21, 2018 7:55 am  #19

Thursday is National Indigenous Peoples Day, the date when the new station at 106.5 in Toronto had promised to make its debut. I guess they missed it. There's nothing there but static (and a bit of WYRK!) 

June 21, 2018 1:21 pm  #20

Guess the APTN needs some finalization before they gets ELMNT FM on-air, probably some adjustments of programming and talents. It’s better late than never if they can provide a strong voice of aboriginal community to Toronto and Ottawa, rather than occuring the same mistakes as what AVR did back in 2015. 106.5 will probably launch in early July, hopefully. Since NOW Toronto has reported that the Ottawa station will launch in mid-July, implying that Toronto’s station will probably launch earlier than its sister station.

June 21, 2018 1:32 pm  #21

Can anyone confirm whether Toronto and Ottawa will simulcast? Part of the day? 24/7?

August 20, 2018 1:05 am  #22

Does anyone have any insights or news regarding ELMNT.FM? It has been over 2 months since the promised on-air date, APTN has neither launched Toronto or Ottawa’s version of the station. And there’s still no website or social media sites from APTN hinting its launching date. Are they struggling with the issue finding suitable on-air talents related to the aboriginal community? Or otherwise just a technical issue that perpetuates them from launching the station?

August 20, 2018 7:58 pm  #23

This situation is due to the lack of due diligence from the CRTC.  The Commission persists in issuing licenses to groups that simply do not have the resources for the start up costs and operations of a new radio station. 

I am confident that 88.5 in Grimsby will hit the airwaves next year because the owner is Durham Radio Inc. which owns stations in Oshawa and should have the necessary capital to get it on the air.  Also if run properly, the station could be profitable 

Does anyone really think ELMNT-FM, CKNT or CHSC will ever make money?

August 21, 2018 1:00 am  #24

Chuck99 wrote:

Does anyone really think ELMNT-FM, CKNT or CHSC will ever make money?

I think ELMNT FM will be a tax write off for APTN when it finally gets up and running. 
If their TV side is doing well enough, this can be an okay thing. If not, the company will struggle.

CKNT?  Who knows? Maybe they can merge with the Haze?  http://www.thehazefm.ca/
Let the FM side be Mississauga's variety music choice and the AM be "The voice..."

http://www.thehazefm.ca/the_Haze_logo__squared__Sept_27.jpeg

As for Grapevine 1220, there is too much missing information. Who really knows how much air time might be sold on week ends to various sources that hopefully won't upset the CRTC the way an all Radio Uno did.
Note:
When 1220 CHSC was around, (long before Radio Uno week-ends) there was a Country show that aired on Sundays-I know nothing about how much they paid to be there, or if the station sold time themselves-I only know it was not the usual variety music format that aired during the week.  CRTC was okay with that.

September 23, 2018 7:42 pm  #25

According to Canadian Radio News, ELMNT.FM in Ottawa is finally on the air in test mode, after two months of promised on-air date, while the one in Toronto still has no words on when it will actually launch.

September 24, 2018 3:17 am  #26

Adrian106072 wrote:

According to Canadian Radio News, ELMNT.FM in Ottawa is finally on the air in test mode, after two months of promised on-air date, while the one in Toronto still has no words on when it will actually launch.

This one's a no brainer. If they're serious about testing the Toronto station and they have a live stream, why not just temporarily run the Ottawa internet stream until they're done testing?

September 24, 2018 6:04 am  #27

They're not delayed due to lack of programming source, they're delayed due to lack of agreement for tower/transmitter space.

September 24, 2018 7:31 am  #28

RadioAaron wrote:

They're not delayed due to lack of programming source, they're delayed due to lack of agreement for tower/transmitter space.

Did they not have an Agreement in Principle with First Canadian Place at the time of application? I have to say, as a general comment, these sorts of excuses seem pretty lame based on my experience in radio engineering.

September 24, 2018 11:23 am  #29

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Did they not have an Agreement in Principle with First Canadian Place at the time of application? I have to say, as a general comment, these sorts of excuses seem pretty lame based on my experience in radio engineering.

Didnt they already have an antenna/space up there?

September 24, 2018 5:27 pm  #30

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

In principle, yes. In practice with the details hammered out - not so much as I understand it.