sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Tue Oct 30 8:19 am  #1

Tag Team Twins Radio

The last 'team' of radio hosts I ever enjoyed was Ted Woloshyn and David Marsden on CFNY, and that was close to 40 years ago.  Just never liked the 'tag team' approach.  Why then, does 1010 chose to have co-hosts on their 'Rush' drive-home show that not only sound exactly the same, but are virtually interchangeable in every way?  They may as well be clones.  Why not just have one, and be done with it?  Luckily, there is Oakley's show, at least what there is left of it.

Tue Oct 30 8:54 am  #2

Re: Tag Team Twins Radio

Funny you would say that. For some time, I've found myself tuning out of CFRB after Evan Soloman ends for the day. While I wouldn't say I hate Doyle and Michaels, I find them increasingly annoying and while I used to be a regular listener, that's no longer the case. 

In fact, when I use radio after 4 in the afternoon weekdays, it's generally on 640. I'm not a huge Oakley fan, but the two prattlers over on 1010 have become grating - especially Doyle's phony laugh whenever his co-host says something that's painfully unfunny. (You can tell it from the real thing because it's very high pitched and is in two separate parts, but it's impossible to reproduce in print.) Suffice to say it's obvious that it's not real and it's just another annoyance that has me tuning out. 

(And as for why there's two of them together, I suspect station management is aware that Doyle or Michaels on their own would be too weak to sustain much of a following.)

As for dynamic duos in general, I don't have any objection to them per se, as long as they gel. But other than the current pair on RB and perhaps the long departed Motts, I'm hard pressed to think of any others in talk radio locally. Do Kelly Cutrara and Chris Creston count? He's not technically in the show's name and he's in-and-out of the action for the two hours she's on. (I believe there may be a few on the Fan, I couldn't tell you who they are and the ones on CKNT frankly aren't going to amount to anything.) It's far more common on music radio morning shows, and because there are songs in between, it's not quite as grating.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this and I've been thinking about it for a while - which perhaps shows how empty my life is! Your mileage may vary!