sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Mon Nov 5 6:50 pm  #1

The Insufferables

I've tried, but I find 'The Exchange' on 640 from 9 to noon insufferable.  Pompous, painfully verbose, and self-absorbed drivel.  Problem is, I find the programming on 1010 during that time equally irritating.  I am a talk-radio junkie, not interested in re-hab, but I like to be kept informed.  I don't mind CKTB 610, but it's just a little too far outside the GTA to be always relevant.  Suggestions?

Mon Nov 5 7:06 pm  #2

Re: The Insufferables

Ottawa Today with Mark Sutcliffe.
1310 News, 9-1.  Very current affairsy. It is not just Ottawa stories.

Mon Nov 5 7:27 pm  #3

Charlie wrote:

Suggestions?

CKNT. it's at AM 960 on the AM dial and they are a talk radio station.

Mon Nov 5 10:32 pm  #4

570 News - Kitchener:  Mike Farwell 9:00 - Noon Mon - Fri

Mon Nov 5 11:11 pm  #5

Try Jeff Blair on Sportsnet 590 the Fan from 9-noon. It's a welcome break from 'regular' talk radio.

Jeff programs his music bumpers fresh daily with the care and finesse of a true music lover.

He has good guests, and even though baseball is his first love, still deftly discusses, (and enjoys dissecting) the finer points of hockey, basketball, and football. Dry sense of humor too.

Mon Nov 5 11:54 pm  #6

meanwhile, if you want "amazing" interviews with a variety of well known people head to the internet for marc maron's wtf podcast. hell, even obama (when he was president) visited marc's garage plus the interview marc did with robin williams unveiled a tortured soul. http://www.wtfpod.com/

Tue Nov 6 8:27 am  #7

andysradio wrote:

Ottawa Today with Mark Sutcliffe.
1310 News, 9-1. Very current affairsy. It is not just Ottawa stories.

This sounds interesting.  So does the 570 Kitchener suggestion.  I'll give them a try, thanks!  Anything to avoid hearing Gurney call one more caller 'Man' or 'Bud'.

Tue Nov 6 8:30 am  #8

CKNT is where it's at.

Tue Nov 6 8:40 am  #9

It's not the greatest reception if you're listening over the air and it's not always going to be talking about local items of interest but you could give Bill Kelly on CHML Hamilton a try.

It all depends on what subject they do, of course, since you probably won't want to sit through 30 minutes about the latest transit plan for the Steel City. But if they get into provincial politics or something more generic, it can be worthwhile.

CHML's Bill Kelly Show

Tue Nov 6 8:57 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

It's not the greatest reception if you're listening over the air and it's not always going to be talking about local items of interest but you could give Bill Kelly on CHML Hamilton a try.

It all depends on what subject they do, of course, since you probably won't want to sit through 30 minutes about the latest transit plan for the Steel City. But if they get into provincial politics or something more generic, it can be worthwhile.

CHML's Bill Kelly Show

Much appreciated!

Tue Nov 6 7:09 pm  #11

Charlie wrote:

I've tried, but I find 'The Exchange' on 640 from 9 to noon insufferable.  Pompous, painfully verbose, and self-absorbed drivel. 

I sure hope you weren't listening to Alex Pierson's show on Tuesday night. She was AWOL and the sub host? Matt Gurney, for his second shift on the station in the same day. 

I'm not as big a Gurney detractor as Charlie is, but I find it almost incomprehensible that they'd let Pierson have the mid-term election night off. Unless there was something serious that happened and she had some kind of family emergency. And that's what I strongly suspect. Although I'm surprised they didn't have Peter Shurman, who has lots of political experience and knowledge, take the chair.

[Edit: Gurney explained in the second hour that Pierson was sick and that's why he was brought in at the last minute.]

Last edited by RadioActive (Tue Nov 6 8:20 pm)