sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2019 1:39 pm  #61

Re: CKNT

RadioActive wrote:

What a strange, strange radio station. Consider:

-The banner on their website lists "Marc Patrone" as being on air as I type this, but their program listing calls him "Marco," a moniker he doesn't use on air. While technically it's not incorrect, you'd think they'd pick one or the other. 

-They played at least 3 clips from a CTV interview Thursday while discussing the ongoing SNC-Lavalin scandal involving the federal Liberals. All the excerpts were off mic and echo-y, and sounded like they'd been recorded with a cellphone being put near a speaker. I'm 1,000% sure they didn't go out over CTV sounding that way. 

-On the plus side (and I can't say for sure it's never happened before) I actually heard them take a call from a listener. It's the first time I've ever heard this on this station, despite repeatedly giving out the number to call. So somebody besides me was listening!

And for those here who think there's way too much attention given to CKNT on SOWNY, you're probably right.

But there's something undeniably fascinating about keeping track of a station that took seven years to get on air, turns over staff like flipping a pancake, gets shut out of its own studios, has a newsguy who does his entire cast over the phone and not on mic, loses its afternoon drive show just months after it started and just generally sounds terrible.

I've said it before but it bears repeating: It's like a traffic accident. You don't want to look (or in this case, listen) but you simply can't turn away. And the fact that this thread has attracted more than 4,000 page views is proof of that.

I heard one of those cell-phone newscasts yesterday. A tin can and a string might have sounded better.

"The radio craze ... will soon fade." - Thomas Edison, 1922

February 14, 2019 2:32 pm  #62

I caught a cell phone news sometime this week around 1815.

February 14, 2019 3:19 pm  #63

Found the Mike Richards show replay podcast on iTunes, if anyone was interested.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/raw-mike-richards-newstalk-sauga-960am/id1449175466?mt=2

February 14, 2019 3:25 pm  #64

I listened to the station for a few minutes this afternoon.  In my opinion, the mid-day programming has regressed to the point that it is not much better than the test programming of last summer. 

Having an inexperienced host talk non-stop for a couple of hours with no co-host, no guests, no phone calls and few commercial breaks is about as interesting as watching paint dry.  I switched stations after listening for about ten minutes.

February 14, 2019 3:34 pm  #65

Waves wrote:

Found the Mike Richards show replay podcast on iTunes, if anyone was interested.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/raw-mike-richards-newstalk-sauga-960am/id1449175466?mt=2

The station is turning into such a laughing stock, I just hope his reputation is not hurt by this venture.  The last few years have been tough for Mike with health and career issues.  The last thing he needs is more grief.

February 14, 2019 4:50 pm  #66

According to the real estate office next door to the Port Credit studio, it is "highly unlikely" that the studio will re-open.

https://www.facebook.com/Sauga960AM/photos/a.275713829713688/321848698433534/?type=3&theater

Last edited by Glen Warren (February 14, 2019 4:51 pm)

February 14, 2019 5:16 pm  #67

Indeed, it appears they're having problems. Check out this post left on their Facebook page back on Jan. 8th.

Ouch!

February 14, 2019 6:44 pm  #68

Its beginning to sound a lot like 1220 CHSC under the last few years of Pellpropco ownership. 

Do whatever it takes to stay on the air, even if you are locked out of your studio and are unable to pay your bills.

February 14, 2019 8:28 pm  #69

The station is beyond range for me to monitor, what kind of commercial load are they carrying? If they're not broadcasting commercials what is the source of revenue? Maybe they were running with few ads until business picked up, but sooner or later you have to make some money. (Unless you're the CBC).

February 14, 2019 8:35 pm  #70

darcyh wrote:

The station is beyond range for me to monitor....

https://sauga960am.ca/

February 14, 2019 8:46 pm  #71

darcyh wrote:

The station is beyond range for me to monitor, what kind of commercial load are they carrying? If they're not broadcasting commercials what is the source of revenue? Maybe they were running with few ads until business picked up, but sooner or later you have to make some money. (Unless you're the CBC).

From what I recall, they have (or at least had - haven't heard their spots in a while) a local real estate agent, a car dealer and of course, station owner Elliott Kerr's Mississauga Steelheads of the OHL, the real reason I suspect he wanted this licence in the first place.

Otherwise, the rest are almost all PSAs. Doesn't sound like enough to keep it going to me, but from what I understand, Kerr is fairly wealthy and might be backing it until the money comes in.

If it comes in.

February 15, 2019 10:36 am  #72

grilled.cheese wrote:

I was listening to "Raw" Michael Richards this morning.  He was giving out a phone number, 416-640-0200.

Google lists the phone belonging to Sur Saagar Radio, 130 Westmore Dr in Etobicoke. 

http://i68.tinypic.com/dr6sck.jpg

Sur Sagar and Mr. Pannu have had "dealings" with CRTC

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2016/2016-421.pdf

February 15, 2019 11:52 am  #73

I sometimes wonder if the owners plan on introducing multi-lingual programming.  It would be a violation of their license,  But that never failed to stop Pellpropco from giving the CRTC the mid finger salute by airing more Italian language programming than was allowed under their license during the dying days of CHSC.  Desperate times require desperate measures.

February 15, 2019 2:00 pm  #74

Usually takes the CRTC 2 years to "catch" up with Mr. Pannu.  The saga of Mr. Pannu's "license exempt" stations in Surrey, was one where the licenced broadcasters got virtually no cooperation from the CRTC over the course of about a year or more.   Incidentally,  960 can broadcast up to 15% ethnic programming without any special authorization from the CRTC.   That programming could run 6 am to Midnight.  That's about 18 hours a week. Typically stations that sell airtime to ethnic brokers, sell that time on weekends, when the brokers do local remotes, which is the high-paying cash cow for ethnic operators.  Don't be surprised if Sauga960 broadcasts wall-to-wall ethnic programming on weekends. 

Pellpropco went way over 15% - before and after he was turned down for an amendment to increase programming to around 40%.

February 17, 2019 2:06 am  #75

No former employees paid on Friday when due.  Peter Whitaker says to call the labour board.  Building owner (AJ Lamba) refuses to pay or return emails or calls.  Etobicoke owners  (Pannu's)will not clear the debt.  at least five or six former employees no way to get paid and let go with no notice.  They are playing with peoples livelihoods.  very disgusting all around.  they don't deserve to be in business.  Scammers.

February 17, 2019 8:13 am  #76

voiceoverexpress wrote:

They are playing with peoples livelihoods.  very disgusting all around.  they don't deserve to be in business.  Scammers.

That's the way to the top these days. See November 8, 2016 for reference.

February 17, 2019 9:08 am  #77

voiceoverexpress wrote:

No former employees paid on Friday when due.  Peter Whitaker says to call the labour board.  Building owner (AJ Lamba) refuses to pay or return emails or calls.  Etobicoke owners  (Pannu's)will not clear the debt.  at least five or six former employees no way to get paid and let go with no notice.  They are playing with peoples livelihoods.  very disgusting all around.  they don't deserve to be in business.  Scammers.

Where is Elliott Kerr in all of this? He is still the principal or controlling interest in CKNT, is he not?

Are these the four owners (Kerr, Whitaker, Pannu, and Lamba) or are there more?

February 17, 2019 10:05 am  #78

If any of the allegations outlined in this thread are true, then it seems to me this isn't a matter for the CRTC, but the police or the Labour Relations Board. Either way, things are not sounding good both figuratively or literally for CKNT. 

If this continues, who's going to want to work for them and where will they get the programming to fill a 24/7 schedule?

February 17, 2019 1:18 pm  #79

Unless you have your own sponsors and either purchase the air time or get it for free, there is no point in working for this outfit.

February 17, 2019 1:52 pm  #80

It would be interesting to know when the additional owners/partners became involved with Kerr.

My hunch is that one of the part owners is involved solely to see this thing run straight to the ground, then wrestle full control of it, and change the format to ethnic. He could then "back door" his way into Brampton.

Pannu lost his bid for a Brampton AM at 1350 khz to Radio Humsafar in October 2015.

Lamba is just a small time commercial space landlord.   He has no background in broadcasting, and has probably rented the "new" studio space in Port Credit at a reduced rate, with a small percentage of "ownership" being given in exchange for the difference between the market rate for prime storefront office/retail and what he is actually getting.

(Lamba's Whitehill Realty office was originally in the unit where the CKNT 960 studio is (or was).  Next door to this was a dry cleaner which either moved or closed down.  Lamba renovated that space into a new office for his real estate dealings, and then rents his former office space next door to to CKNT).

I highly doubt if Kerr or Whitaker have had any previous experience with working in or managing a broadcast radio outlet at any level.

February 17, 2019 3:07 pm  #81

It took so long to get the station on the air, I suspect the start-up costs were much higher than Kerr expected.  It sounds like he found new investors because he does not want to sink any more money into the operation.
And I agree, I could see the station eventually broadcasting ethnic programming on the weekend.

February 17, 2019 5:31 pm  #82

Chuck99 wrote:

Its beginning to sound a lot like 1220 CHSC under the last few years of Pellpropco ownership. 

Do whatever it takes to stay on the air, even if you are locked out of your studio and are unable to pay your bills.

Except they don't have ancient equipment worth walking away from, lol 
CHSC at least was most likely glad to just walk away from the lease, leaving behind junk that was most likely worth less than the rent demanded.

AM 960, OTOH, might have newer broadcast equipment worth more than a month's rent...(?) 
I honestly don't know...I am merely guessing...

February 17, 2019 6:14 pm  #83

The whole operation has been under-financed.  There is a good chance the owners purchased used equipment. 

There have certainly been numerous complaints of poor sound quality posted on this board.  But, I too, am only guessing.

February 17, 2019 9:36 pm  #84

This is the second station that has been the darling of this board that has gone down in flames.  Roundhouse Radio was the other.  High priced talent, limited advertising, and no voice tracking doesn't make for a successful radio station in 2019 the way it did in 1969.

February 18, 2019 9:27 am  #85

You'll never guess who Marc Patrone had on to talk about the Trudeau-SNC Lavalin scandal.

Senator Mike Duffy, who of course was at the centre of his own scandal with the Harper Conservatives.

I'm not sure anyone else would have made that choice for a guest on this issue, although it could be argued he knows what it's like to be in the centre of a huge storm. I'm also not sure given the damage to Duffy's reputation, any other station would allow him to come on. 

February 18, 2019 11:16 am  #86

Chuck99 wrote:

I sometimes wonder if the owners plan on introducing multi-lingual programming.

I thought this too, and if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. They already have a lot of people from India on the station, some with very thick accents, all of whom speak English. But I'm sure they're fluent in other languages as well and it wouldn't take much to change to the new format with a ready-made staff. 

But there may be a few things standing in the way of such a change.

Consider: Brampton already has (or will have) two ethnic stations. CIAO -oops! Sorry, CHLO at 530 is foreign language programming. The eventual debut of Radio Humsafar at 1350 AM will bring yet another voice to the community. Then there's CJMR, which is also licenced to Mississauga and is an all ethnic station. 

Add in three nearby CHIN outlets, CJSA, the station at 101.3 FM and a few other low power broadcasters on that band, and all the X-band outlets beyond 1600 (including CINA, which is all Indian and whose slogan on its website is "More Music, Less Talk," which for some reason I find very bizarre) and the competitors could easily be intervenors in a complaint to the CRTC about an already saturated market if CKNT tried to make the move.

Frankly, I don't really see any way out for the powers behind Sauga 960, which picked the most expensive and difficult format when Eliott Kerr applied for the licence. I think they may be stuck with it for a while.

February 18, 2019 1:10 pm  #87

According to TVGuy, CKNT can air up to 15 per cent non-English programming per week without CRTC approval.  He also indicated that there is a fairly high demand for air time on weekends to cover special events in various ethnic communities and that much of the programming is brokered which would mean a potential revenue stream for CKNT.  

When you factor in the connections that the owners and some of the on-air staff may have with some of these communities, I could see at least some ethnic programming eventually airing on the weekend.

Other than CHLO 530, most of the ethnic stations are located on bad frequencies with either daytime only clearance, crummy night time signals or X band locations.  If CKNT had a better frequency such as 710, it would have something to sell to extricate themselves from this mess.

February 18, 2019 2:18 pm  #88

Bullard is tweeting again so it appears his health is better, but hasn't said anything about his apparent departure from CKNT. 

February 18, 2019 2:57 pm  #89

CKNT definitely seems to be moving back towards it's ethnic roots. 

February 19, 2019 5:13 pm  #90

It just keeps getting worse and worse. Or maybe I should say this is one sad Sauga saga.

With the loss of Bullard and company, their afternoon show on Tuesday is being hosted by Marc Patrone. The fact that he hosts the 9-11:30 AM segment is bad enough, but they're actually airing a reroll of that show as their afternoon drive program! I know because I monitored some of it this morning and it's the same broadcast. 

No mention is being made of the fact that it's a rerun. 

They went for months after sign-on without a morning drive show. Now it appears they have nothing to put on in the key hours between 4-6, either.