sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2019 9:04 pm  #1

Jerry Howarth Writes Book On His Broadcasting Career

On Feb. 13th, it will be exactly one year since Jerry Howarth announced he was retiring as the voice of the Blue Jays, following prostate cancer surgery and problems with his voice. (I will never forget where I was when I heard this - sitting in my radiologist's waiting room, where he was going to give me an update on my own battle with the disease. With nothing else to do, I posted this thread to SOWNY from his office.) 

Anyway, you'd expect a guy who voiced almost every Blue Jay game for 36 straight years to have a few stories to tell. And he does, in a new book called "Hello, Friends! Stories from My Life and Blue Jays Baseball." It talks about how he got into sports broadcasting, taking a chance by leaving law school to pursue his dream of being a baseball play-by-play guy. Sounds like he made the right choice!

The book comes out on March 5th. Expect to hear more of that famous voice as he makes the rounds plugging the new tome.  

More here

February 8, 2019 12:40 am  #2

Re: Jerry Howarth Writes Book On His Broadcasting Career

Jerry Howarth is one of the classiest people I've ever worked with.  Everybody loves Jerry (and for good reason).  I was Executive Producer at Telemedia Network Radio (Telemedia also owned CJCL, aka The Fan, at that time and held the radio rights to the Blue Jays).  I remember not long after Jerry was hired, Len Bramson, the President of Telemedia Network called me into his office and asked me if I could find a microphone that deepened Jerry's voice as the contrast between Tom Cheek's booming voice and Jerry's troubled him.  I told him we could always equalize Jerry's voice, but recommended that the contrast between the two was actually a good thing.  Len thought about it for awhile then changed the subject.  He never brought it up again.  Tom and Jerry worked incredibly well together for several decades until Tom's passing.  I'm sure Jerry's book will be a best seller.  I certainly will be buying one..  .  .  .