sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2019 7:13 am  #1

CFMJ Changes

Rumor has it Gurney is out.  

Stay tuned. 

February 8, 2019 9:16 am  #2

Re: CFMJ Changes

I stayed tuned, and super sub Peter Shurman confirmed it on Friday morning, noting he'd be there "for the next few weeks," adding they would be reassessing the morning show in the coming days. (Any chance they could bring back Stafford to that time slot? Sorry Mike, but I really miss your old solo show!)

No reason was given for his sudden departure (including whose choice it was. Gurney has not not updated his Facebook or Twitter page with any announcements or posts since January.)

I hate to see anyone lose a gig but I'm sure Gurney can go back to newspapers with all his contacts there. But at least SOWNY poster Charlie will be happy!

February 8, 2019 9:17 am  #3

Shurman just confirmed as much.

February 8, 2019 9:21 am  #4

As usual, I'm on the trolley with news breaking information.

Y'all are welcome.

February 8, 2019 9:24 am  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

Y'all are welcome.

In that case, are you privy to why he was let go? (I'm assuming he didn't leave on his own or he would have posted about some fabulous new opportunity on his un-updated social media pages.) 

February 8, 2019 9:35 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Y'all are welcome.

In that case, are you privy to why he was let go? (I'm assuming he didn't leave on his own or he would have posted about some fabulous new opportunity on his un-updated social media pages.) 

Unfortunately I wasn't privy to that.  

February 8, 2019 11:14 am  #7

For those of you that are Twitterless...which may be the majority?...here is Matt's confirmation...I know how he feels...640 fired me 3 times...twice  by the same guy....good times....best of luck to him and his family.

Matt Gurney

Anyway, SOME PERSONAL NEWS. (Which may eventually include some analysis of Starfleet operations, let's just see how this goes.)

As of yesterday, I was told that, due to a restructuring, Global News, though very grateful for all my contributions, no longer required them. +

I was asked to not say anything until now, as other people were also being let go, and I was asked, simply as a gentleman, to allow that process to unfold. I was happy to grant that request. I don't know about any further impacts — turns out I'm off the email distribution list! +

To any of my colleagues at Global News and specifically 640 Toronto who were also let go, I wish you every success and you all know where to find me if I can be helpful in any way. For those who remain, and new people who may now join, best of luck — truly.

It has been my genuine pleasure these few years to contribute to what has been a very successful period for the radio station, including many changes. The good work of the last two years will continue, and I'm sure I'll be listening.

Though I had less of an opportunity to work with my colleagues at the rest of Global News, I have huge admiration for the work those journalists do every day and have enjoyed my time with them. A great group of people, a great group of journalists. Good luck, Global News. +

As news of this has been slowly getting out over the last day or so, I've had a lot of kind notes and texts/calls from old friends and colleagues, all asking if I'm OK. For anyone who's worried, don't be. I am fine.

That's not false bravado. Sincerely — I'm fine. Getting let go from a radio job isn't exactly unforeseeable, so I made sure I was prepared, emotionally and otherwise, for this day. It came sooner than I might have once hoped. But I knew with certainty it would.

I've also kept a few irons in a few fires, and I'll have more to say about those soon, after some, uhhh, "technicalities" are dealt with. But truly, don't worry about me. +

In fact, in some ways, this has helped with my professional imposter syndrome. I've finally been shitcanned from a media job! I'm for real now! Whoo hoo!

I admit that I am bored this morning, though. First time I've been "at liberty" in 12 years.

One last note. +

The above thread has been all about me — and, I mean, duh. I'm the guy who got blown out an airlock. Of course it's about me.

But I want to carve out a bit of time here for someone else. Some words for, and about, @supriyadwivedi.

Supriya Dwivedi is amazing and I love her.

When I joined Global in fall of 2016, Supriya and I were a team. This is something she and I had wanted to do years. We were so excited by the opportunity. Getting up at Oh-God-Kill-Me o'clock every morning to go to work was only tolerable because we were doing it together.

Our time as co-hosts was much shorter than I expected it to be, and if I have any regret for the last few years, it's that. Spending all morning talking with a close friend that you adore and admire and respect is a luxury for most people. For me, it was my frickin' job! +

One of the reasons I'm so content to move on now, to whatever comes next, is because it simply wasn't near as fun once we weren't doing it together anymore. I've missed her every day. But she's still kicking ass every morning from 0530 to 0900, and I couldn't be prouder of her.

There are others I should thank, and I will later, but I wanted to end right now on that note. Thank you and good luck, my friend.

And to all of you.

February 8, 2019 11:17 am  #8

Peter Shurman just noted that Alan Carter will be on at noon.

Might that mean that Tasha is out as well?

February 8, 2019 11:55 am  #9

So, 640 is moving around the chairs on the Titanic again? Yay for them.

February 8, 2019 12:02 pm  #10

I thought the latest ratings show the Titanic rising out of the water. 

February 8, 2019 12:06 pm  #11

Peter the K wrote:

Might that mean that Tasha is out as well?

I noticed he said he was "filling in" but pointedly did not say for who. 

February 8, 2019 12:34 pm  #12

They have yet to update their website. Both Gurney and Kheirridin are still listed as of this posting. It also indicates Tasha's show is currently on the air. 

Wonder what, if anything, this might mean for the less-than-highly rated drivetime morning show come Monday? 

February 8, 2019 12:44 pm  #13

This is GREAT News!
I have been quietly hoping that Peter Shurman could slide into that slot, then He sells his House in L0S 1J0 and moves to Toronto?
I'll be waiting with baited breath to hear the full updates. Then likely complain about some of them.

February 8, 2019 1:06 pm  #14

Carter only did the first hour. Kelly Cutrara did the last 60 minutes and started by saying "Tasha is off sick," So does that mean she's expected back? I'm hearing she may be a casualty of whatever's going on over there. Guess we'll know more on Monday.  

February 8, 2019 1:17 pm  #15

As a constant listener of am640 I hate to see anyone lose their job. I have to admit, as much as Mr. Gurney was always well prepared with facts etc, the delivery was not always impressive to me. Now, I am the last guy to criticize any talk show host which is arguably the toughest gig in radio and I wish him well going forward. I also would like to hear Stafford back in that time slot . Sherman would be great in the noon - 2 period, sorry Tasha . With the impending maternity leave of the morning female host, I nominate Decker and Marshall to take on the morning show.  

February 8, 2019 1:23 pm  #16

I would love to see Decker on CFMJ

February 8, 2019 1:39 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Wonder what, if anything, this might mean for the less-than-highly rated drivetime morning show come Monday? 

You might want to check your numbers. 640 Morning Show, and the station overall, is neck-and-neck with 1010 in key demo.

February 8, 2019 1:40 pm  #18

Gurney can go to Jazz FM and do mornings in the very vacant morning show...

Like everyone else, you hate to see people go...but this business can bite you on the butt!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 8, 2019 2:01 pm  #19

grilled.cheese wrote:

I would love to see Decker on CFMJ

I could see CKNT becoming something of a farm team for GNR 640, i.e. a place where people work for little or no money while they learn their trade before landing a paying gig with the big team.

I am always skeptical when one of the big broadcasters says that people have lost their jobs due to restructuring.  If you sift through the rubble, you will always find people who were probably let go for reasons other than cost-cutting.  It makes it less obvious that a performance issue led to their dismissal when their pink slips are bundled with those who were let go for monetary reasons.

As far as Matt Gurney is concerned, I suspect that the salary he received for his morning drive duties with Supriya became too expensive when it was transferred to the less lucrative late morning time slot. 

February 8, 2019 10:15 pm  #20

Stafford and Supriya have hit their stride, and I would miss having them to listen to in the mornings. The first anniversary of the show is coming up, and if the ratings are any indication, S & S are here to stay.

As well, Corus has invested in promo pics for the morning show, according to a couple of chats last week between Stafford and Supriya.

I loved reading Matt Gurney's pretty classy tweet about leaving 640, thanks for posting it, Johnny B.

February 9, 2019 10:44 am  #21

Peter the K wrote:

What is an Alan Carter?

February 9, 2019 11:34 am  #22

As an aside - some of us don't know what station CFMJ is. Better to start a thread with AM 640. 

February 9, 2019 8:44 pm  #23

cash wrote:

As an aside - some of us don't know what station CFMJ is. Better to start a thread with AM 640. 

It's a shame Google was never invented.  

February 9, 2019 9:02 pm  #24

Not all of us here are insiders. That was my point. 

February 9, 2019 9:30 pm  #25

cash wrote:

Not all of us here are insiders. That was my point. 

I'm not an insider either but I do know how to type CFMJ into Google.

February 9, 2019 11:25 pm  #26

You should refer to it simply as “the station that destroys CFRB in any and all relevant demos.”

February 10, 2019 12:48 am  #27

enness wrote:

You should refer to it simply as “the station that destroys CFRB in any and all relevant demos.”

😂

February 11, 2019 1:06 pm  #28

It appears Tasha Kheiriddin is still employed by the station, although she's not on for the second consecutive show. (She was replaced by Alan Carter and Kelly Cutrara on Friday and Stephen LeDrew is on in her place on Monday.)

I was wondering if she was caught up in all the changes at 640, but they replayed a "best of" from her on the weekends (which they surely wouldn't do if she was gone) and they've updated their website to take out Matt Gurney - and Tasha is still there. 

By the way, Peter Shurman is now listed in Matt's place on their site, albeit with no pic and no page link. He's already said this gig is only temporary for a few weeks. I'm hoping they make it permanent, if he's willing.

[Edit: By the way, it's double substitution day on talk radio in Toronto. Dean Blundell is back, sitting in for Jim Richards over on CFRB.]    

Last edited by RadioActive (February 11, 2019 1:28 pm)

February 11, 2019 1:30 pm  #29

RadioActive wrote:

By the way, Peter Shurman is now listed in Matt's place on their site, albeit with no pic and no page link. He's already said this gig is only temporary for a few weeks. I'm hoping they make it permanent, if he's willing.    

I don't mean to start any rumours, but I believe there may be some new voices coming to 640 soon. 
I could still be wrong... 

February 11, 2019 3:14 pm  #30

Took me awhile to figure out what CFMJ was; until I saw on air names.