sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2019 2:23 pm  #1

Y'know, Y'know, Y'know?

The Grand Champion, Undisputed, First-Ballot Hall of Shame, KING of over-using 'Y'know' has been crowned!  It is regular 640 Political Panel hack Patrick Gossage, who was just on with Jeff McArthur.  Nobody else is in this guy's league.  He is the 'Y'know' Wayne Gretzky to everyone else's Walt Podubny.

Last edited by Charlie (March 5, 2019 4:32 pm)

March 5, 2019 2:44 pm  #2

Re: Y'know, Y'know, Y'know?

Every time I see this thread title, I think of Prozak's "Sucks to be You", except he says "I Know, I Know"

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 5, 2019 3:08 pm  #3

Jody Thornton wrote:

Every time I see this thread title, I think of Prozak's "Sucks to be You", except he says "I Know, I Know"

Every time I see this thread I think of this jazz rock fusion number not heard on any radio station in these parts since the demise of progressive radio and you know it kinda makes me sad.

You Know, You Know by The Mahavishnu Orchestra

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 5, 2019 4:00 pm  #4

I'm hung up on:
- sorta (nobody's certain anymore)
- kinda (still uncertain)
- go ahead and (back up - can't I just back up without all the going ahead?)
- so (starting every sentence of phrase - So, what do you think about the state of politics these days?)

There are more, but I'm kinda tired. So, I'm going to go ahead and have a well-deserved nap...sorta. Or maybe I'll just watch a test pattern. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

March 5, 2019 4:09 pm  #5

Dial Twister wrote:

I'm hung up on:
- sorta (nobody's certain anymore)
- kinda (still uncertain)
- go ahead and (back up - can't I just back up without all the going ahead?)
- so (starting every sentence of phrase - So, what do you think about the state of politics these days?)

There are more, but I'm kinda tired. So, I'm going to go ahead and have a well-deserved nap...sorta. Or maybe I'll just watch a test pattern. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Good ones!  Irritating all!

Last edited by Charlie (March 5, 2019 4:09 pm)

March 6, 2019 12:58 am  #6

Newstalk has a text board, it's 71010 to send a text.

GNR am 640 hosts all have email addresses that are easy to find, and usually the host currently on-air will share their email address, and read emails from listeners while doing a show.

A quick text/email to the on-air Y'knowitall radio host who is excessively spouting their favourite pet word or phrase, something like: "good show, but you're saying 'um' every third word, please stop" or even the subtle hint "y'know y'know y'know y'know y'know" could be:

A) a public service

B) a way to cope with the annoyance

C) actually flag someone that people do notice, and remind PD's to do their jobs.

D) give the board operators something else to rag their co-workers about

E) possibly passive aggressive/waste of time so just change the radio to a different station

F) maybe all of the above

I'm surprised some smart ass hasn't tackled the Badder and Worst hosts about this on Twitter yet (or maybe they have, and were promptly silenced)

Why is it that sports radio hosts have fewer verbal crutches/placeholders than talk radio hosts?

Last edited by betaylored (March 6, 2019 1:12 am)

March 7, 2019 11:08 am  #7

Kelly Cutrara went on a little rant this morning, criticizing Doug Ford for pronouncing 'Forward' as 'Ford'.
As the worst 'Y'know' offender among the 'Professional' radio hosts in the GTA, she might want to pay some attention to her own delivery.

Last edited by Charlie (March 7, 2019 4:19 pm)

March 7, 2019 12:55 pm  #8

betaylored wrote:

...A quick text/email to the on-air Y'knowitall radio host who is excessively spouting their favourite pet word or phrase, something like: "good show, but you're saying 'um' every third word, please stop" or even the subtle hint "y'know y'know y'know y'know y'know"....

Or you could like, so, you know, text/email them like, you know, every time. So, you know, sort of like, turn it into a like, you know, a  drinking game, sort of, like. You know?

March 7, 2019 1:18 pm  #9

Justalistener wrote:

betaylored wrote:

...A quick text/email to the on-air Y'knowitall radio host who is excessively spouting their favourite pet word or phrase, something like: "good show, but you're saying 'um' every third word, please stop" or even the subtle hint "y'know y'know y'know y'know y'know"....

Or you could like, so, you know, text/email them like, you know, every time. So, you know, sort of like, turn it into a like, you know, a  drinking game, sort of, like. You know?

- HIC! -

March 7, 2019 4:06 pm  #10

Justalistener wrote:

Sadly, 21st century English.

I wonder if they have similar verbal tics in French, Spanish, etc.?
Spread this link around local media, please - https://www.publicationcoach.com/verbal-tics/

Really? https://youtu.be/R8mcBdBL-t0

Last edited by Dial Twister (March 7, 2019 4:08 pm)

March 8, 2019 1:31 am  #11

Dial Twister wrote:

Justalistener wrote:

Sadly, 21st century English.

I wonder if they have similar verbal tics in French, Spanish, etc.?
Spread this link around local media, please - https://www.publicationcoach.com/verbal-tics/

Really? https://youtu.be/R8mcBdBL-t0

In la belle province, the saltier french used to, and maybe still do, say 'bien sure' at ze end of ze sentence, as an afterthought. Growing up anglophone in Beaconsfield, we found it pretty funny.

The drinking game idea Justalistener is... interesting, though as of yesterday, when I notice someone on the radio is oblivious to their ODing on their pet verbal tic, I've been changing the radio station. Fewer headaches literally, and figuratively.🙄

??? big yellow boarders that work in radio, when off the air, during a newscast, or commercial break, do you speak up when co-workers who work on-air get out of control with the repetitive ums and y'know language, and if not I'd honestly like to know why not, since you have to hear it too ???

Last edited by betaylored (March 8, 2019 2:10 am)

March 8, 2019 2:39 am  #12

@betaylored quote..., "??? big yellow boarders that work in radio, when off the air, during a newscast, or commercial break, do you speak up when co-workers who work on-air get out of control with the repetitive ums and y'know language, and if not I'd honestly like to know why not, since you have to hear it too ???"

as a kid about 19 working road crew on a radio live show remote feature evening event, the experienced host was "popping" the mic and sounded awful.  the producer sent me up to the stage during a break to put a windscreen on the mic.  host demanded an explanation, and i didn't know better, so told the reason.  host freaked, threw the mic across the table, and walked off stage."i'm a professional and have never popped in my life" kind of thing.  took management intervention to send host back out.  i learned a valuable life lesson then and there about maybe "softening" the truth in order to deal with ego.

does that maybe respond to your question as to why co-workers or producers don't speak up?

March 8, 2019 3:57 am  #13

splunge wrote:

@betaylored quote..., "??? big yellow boarders that work in radio, when off the air, during a newscast, or commercial break, do you speak up when co-workers who work on-air get out of control with the repetitive ums and y'know language, and if not I'd honestly like to know why not, since you have to hear it too ???"

as a kid about 19 working road crew on a radio live show remote feature evening event, the experienced host was "popping" the mic and sounded awful.  the producer sent me up to the stage during a break to put a windscreen on the mic.  host demanded an explanation, and i didn't know better, so told the reason.  host freaked, threw the mic across the table, and walked off stage."i'm a professional and have never popped in my life" kind of thing.  took management intervention to send host back out.  i learned a valuable life lesson then and there about maybe "softening" the truth in order to deal with ego.

does that maybe respond to your question as to why co-workers or producers don't speak up?

As an avid radio listener, but not worker, I had to look up what "popping" the mic is.  Former, and now 'new' 640 radio host Jeff McArthur used to be guilty of assaulting the eardrums with emphasized 'P' sounds, which was very irritating, but I haven't noticed it since he's been back.  Did somebody sneak a windscreen on his mic before he returned?

March 8, 2019 11:43 am  #14

you'd think the pd's would pick up on this... fast! annoyances get attention (for the wrong reasons). is it attention that translates into more ratings? i'm guessing it's the opposite. if listeners are focused on the annoyances then they're less likely to pay attention to the "stuff' you want them to focus on... i'm just sayin'.  and to answer @betaylored's question. like it or not, radio can be a cut throat business. someone's on-air inability can mean opportunity for someone else (including fellow staff members). 

March 8, 2019 9:32 pm  #15

the original hank wrote:

you'd think the pd's would pick up on this..

Well, Y'know...Blatch has ample airtime, y'know, to regularly ply her, y'know ass fluent.

Unless she's preëmpted by a PR Muffin. Public service and so forth.

March 9, 2019 1:21 am  #16

splunge and the original hank: valid views about why co-workers maybe shouldn't, and don't speak up.

Giving input doesn't seem like a big deal. I had help during my on-air career from fellow jocks, and in turn helped them. Sometimes it's a simple thing like breathing in just before you turn the mic on because nobody needs to hear that intake of air. Guess aircheck meetings (even three or four times a year) are a thing of the past. Would (some) management even know what a popped P was, much less be able to point it out...

It took management to smooth over your situation splunge, and the original hank you wrote "you'd think the pd's would pick up on this.." so to rephrase:

??? big yellow boarders who know the PD's working in radio right now, what responsibility do they have for everyone's performance on-air, and why are they allowing some of their talent to (insert sports metaphor here) when it comes to communicating clearly to the listeners. ???

It's the audio equivalent of having to watch someone talk with their mouth full of food, you're distracted by the sight, oblivious to the words, as interesting as they may otherwise be.

Last edited by betaylored (March 9, 2019 1:28 am)

March 9, 2019 3:12 am  #17

@betaylored... and others please correct me if i'm wrong.  talent ego plays a huge part of it.  PD's under a corporate structure are almost below key on-air talent on the org chart, and therefore the egos are not particularly open to direction or "help".  national format directors and/or consultants are in charge... thus the station/cluster PD has little impact or authority over talent,  As long as the personalities hit the ratings or sales targets, who cares if they critique mcdonalds with a mouth full of a whopper on air... so to speak.

Put another way, if the topic and the conversation is interesting to the average listener, then such verbal tics and foibles can be overlooked, despite how crappy it sounds.  i hate that radio has become lowest common denominator pablum... but that's pretty much broadcasting in general these days.

IMO, they key voice missing from this thread is Kowch.  He could give the definitive bottom line here. STEVE???