sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2019 8:53 am  #1


Newstalk 1010 Quietly Drops TSN 1050 Updates

Not sure if anyone else has noticed that CFRB has dropped its long-standing TSN 1050 sports updates at the end of their drivetime newscasts. If anything, they now just have their newscaster give a score or two, before moving on to the weather.
 
Much as I’m not a fan of all this media consolidation that sees two or three companies controlling way too many stations, one of the few positives about it is the way an organization can leverage all its properties to strengthen each other.
 
For example, 680 uses both City TV and Sportsnet material to augment its coverage and vice versa, with the added benefit of having them cross promote each other.
 
The TSN updates they had been doing were not very long, so perhaps it doesn’t matter. But it was a way of getting 1050 mentioned on a station with a much bigger listenership, at least providing some knowledge that it’s there. (Its current numbers suggest not many do.)
 
I’d be curious to know why they dropped these one minute updates when there really wasn’t any apparent downside to doing them in the first place.

 

March 6, 2019 10:11 am  #2


Re: Newstalk 1010 Quietly Drops TSN 1050 Updates

RadioActive wrote:

I’d be curious to know why they dropped these one minute updates when there really wasn’t any apparent downside to doing them in the first place.

If they switch to BNN 1050 they might have more listeners. 
 

 

March 6, 2019 12:52 pm  #3


Re: Newstalk 1010 Quietly Drops TSN 1050 Updates

Radiowiz wrote:

If they switch to BNN 1050 they might have more listeners.

If they offered content from Bloomberg's international resources, I'd be a listener.
 

 

March 6, 2019 1:19 pm  #4


Re: Newstalk 1010 Quietly Drops TSN 1050 Updates

Chuck99 wrote:

It surprises me that you hear so few refer to the wrong station during their broadcasts.

And how does Jody Thornton always get the calls/I.D. right when he's doing traffic for so many different stations in a single day? That can be a pretty crazy schedule, especially if one of them throws late. Yet I don't think I've ever heard him make a mistake, which is a tribute to how good he is.  

(Hope I didn't just jinx it for you Jody!)

     Thread Starter
 

March 6, 2019 3:26 pm  #5


Re: Newstalk 1010 Quietly Drops TSN 1050 Updates

Bell flipped Vancouver's 3rd place sports station to BNN and managed a 0.1 share in its most recent ratings. Yes, there would probably be more of an appetite here on Bay street, but they won't be in any rush.

The Leafs games on 1050 get ratings, so people know it's there. It's catching up to 590 in some shifts (PM Drive, for example)


 
 

March 6, 2019 8:21 pm  #6


Re: Newstalk 1010 Quietly Drops TSN 1050 Updates

RadioActive wrote:

Chuck99 wrote:

It surprises me that you hear so few refer to the wrong station during their broadcasts.

And how does Jody Thornton always get the calls/I.D. right when he's doing traffic for so many different stations in a single day? That can be a pretty crazy schedule, especially if one of them throws late. Yet I don't think I've ever heard him make a mistake, which is a tribute to how good he is.  

(Hope I didn't just jinx it for you Jody!)

 
I'd like to know how Jody keeps it straight too. I don't even drive, but there's something calming about hearing a well done traffic report.

They're doing major renovations in the Leafs Lunch studio at TSN 1050, and other changes have been obliquely referred to by on-air talent there, so maybe dropping the sports reports for Newstalk 1010 is a sign there's a rebuild ahead.

 

March 10, 2019 5:27 pm  #7


Re: Newstalk 1010 Quietly Drops TSN 1050 Updates

This story has gotten more interesting for me.

I just noticed that CTV Toronto's weekend news had the anchors doing the sportscast, showing hockey and Jays highlights. I seem to recall that they used to have a TSN anchor do a full package, like City TV does with its Sportsnet counterpart. 

Are there cutbacks at TSN? Why wouldn't CTV and RB take advantage of the ownership to cross promote the brand? Odd... 

     Thread Starter