sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2019 1:45 pm  #1

1220 AM St Catharines, ON

1220 AM St Catharines has been granted another extension to getting their 10,000 watt transmitter up and running (this is the second CRTC extension). They (Radio Dhun) have proposed a classic hits format. Any thoughts?

March 14, 2019 3:48 pm  #2

Re: 1220 AM St Catharines, ON

Classic hits???
What??
Say it ain't so
I'm getting tired of waiting.
I've been taking Tamil language classes & have become quite proficient.
In fact I'm so fluent that I could drive cab in Toronto full time if I wanted to.
I don't want to.  
Get the God damn thing open will you so I can show you all 

"I'll kick your ass down Yonge Street"... CFTR's Robert Holiday circa 1979...

March 14, 2019 4:01 pm  #3

If the application involved an FM frequency, there would be no extensions granted by the CRTC.  But there is little demand for available AM frequencies in small to medium markets, such as St. Catharines.

I have never considered this proposal to be viable from a business perspective for two reasons.  1) the transmitter is nearly 40 years old and likely requires expensive repairs and upgrades.  2) the original CHSC went into receivership in 1990 and under new ownership in 2008, the bank foreclosed on its Queenston St. studios and sold the equipment at auction.  The CRTC declined to renew the stations license in 2010 after repeated programming violations and the fact that the station was broadcasting from multiple undisclosed locations.

This track record does not bode well for a successful relaunch of the station.

Last edited by Chuck99 (March 14, 2019 4:02 pm)

March 14, 2019 4:52 pm  #4

DOPEfm wrote:

They (Radio Dhun) have proposed a classic hits format. Any thoughts?

March 14, 2019 5:05 pm  #5

Radio Dhun? More like Radio Done, if you ask me. I'm not convinced we'll ever actually get to hear this station. But I could be wrong. It took CKNT seven years, but they finally hit the air. (Think of how many more greatest hits there will be to play by then!)  

By the way, their Facebook page consists almost entirely of ads for immigration services. But not a single word about the coming Grapevine Radio.

They also list themselves as being at 100.7, which I'm guessing means they're leasing time from CHIN FM. Why they would try for a classics hits format is beyond me, but it's possible the CRTC didn't think there was room for another ethnic outlet in the area.

March 14, 2019 5:56 pm  #6

Radio Doom?

March 14, 2019 6:46 pm  #7

According to Canadian Radio News, the latest delay centres on getting their transmitter equipment, which is taking longer than expected. And it ends with this: "The station should be on the air by late Spring/early summer 2019."

That would put them on the air sometime in the next few months. We'll see if that happens or if there will be another excuse for a delay. Meanwhile, monitor 1220 every now and then just to see if anything actually turns up. 

March 14, 2019 10:10 pm  #8

The current owners have already spent $300,000 just to purchase the construction permit from a previous ownership group.  If needed, the CRTC will likely continue to extend the CP indefinitely.  Otherwise, the 300 Grand goes down a rat hole.

March 15, 2019 12:05 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Radio Dhun? More like Radio Done, if you ask me. I'm not convinced we'll ever actually get to hear this station. But I could be wrong. It took CKNT seven years, but they finally hit the air. (Think of how many more greatest hits there will be to play by then!)  
By the way, their Facebook page consists almost entirely of ads for immigration services. But not a single word about the coming Grapevine Radio.

On their Facebook page, this is claimed to be their website:
http://www.radiodhuntoronto.com/ 
er...WAS their website??  

March 15, 2019 11:23 am  #10

If you wanted to launch a new AM station,  I am not sure why would use the mediocre 1220 frequency when the much superior 710 is available.  

Before it left the air in 2013, CJRN 710 in Niagara Falls was broadcasting at 10000 watts daytime and 5000 watts at night with a less restrictive pattern than 1220.

Recycling the same frequency sounds like a cost decision to me.

March 15, 2019 8:39 pm  #11

Chuck99 wrote:

If the application involved an FM frequency, there would be no extensions granted by the CRTC.  But there is little demand for available AM frequencies in small to medium markets, such as St. Catharines.

I have never considered this proposal to be viable from a business perspective for two reasons.  1) the transmitter is nearly 40 years old and likely requires expensive repairs and upgrades.  2) the original CHSC went into receivership in 1990 and under new ownership in 2008, the bank foreclosed on its Queenston St. studios and sold the equipment at auction.  The CRTC declined to renew the stations license in 2010 after repeated programming violations and the fact that the station was broadcasting from multiple undisclosed locations.

This track record does not bode well for a successful relaunch of the station.

The History of Canadian Broadcasting site indicates CHSC and a sister FM went in the air in 1967. In 1990 the FM was split and sold and the AM operation was left to stand on its own. By 1994 CHSC was seeking bankruptcy protection.

It appears things took a turn for the worse from 1990 to 1994, the point where they sought protection. Although AM radio generally continued to decline in the 90's, I'm surprised how quickly the station transitioned from a presumably profitable operation when it was sold in 1990 to potential bankruptcy in 1994. It had a fairly new transmitter and site so no major expenses there. What the heck happened?

Given that CHSC struggled through receivership and owners for the last 20 years of its existence, was the station ever really successful?

With all the challenges to return to the air, in today's broadcast environment is there any business plan / format that would comply with all the rules and generate a small profit to sustain its operation. You guys have far more expertise than I. What do you think? Possible, or is this doomed?

Thanks for your thoughts.

March 15, 2019 10:44 pm  #12

The mother tongue for the vast majority of Niagara residents is English, so i doubt ethnic programming would work.  The station will struggle with the classic hits format because the same music can be heard in stereo on 101.1 FM, which flipped to a similar format a year ago.

March 16, 2019 4:48 am  #13

Chuck99 wrote:

The mother tongue for the vast majority of Niagara residents is English, so i doubt ethnic programming would work.  The station will struggle with the classic hits format because the same music can be heard in stereo on 101.1 FM, which flipped to a similar format a year ago.

& the grand FM to also compete with on top of all that.
If only they could do a test run on the internet to show us what they intend to do to sound any different... 

March 16, 2019 12:41 pm  #14

There's also the new station coming to 88.5 in Grimsby/Beamsville.

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (March 16, 2019 1:11 pm)

March 16, 2019 1:45 pm  #15

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

There's also the new station coming to 88.5 in Grimsby/Beamsville.

Excellent point.  One could argue that the Niagara area has too many stations already. 

Before they were purchased by Byrnes Communications in 2018. 105.1 and 101.1 in Niagara Falls had been losing money for several years.  And Country 89 in Welland signed on in 2015.  The market can barely support the stations that exist today. 

At least 88.5 has a fighting chance to be successful because it is located on the better FM band and can market its programming to the Grimsby/Lincoln area.