sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2019 9:13 pm  #1

WECK Lands Another Buffalo Radio Veteran

For such a small station with such an old format, there's a lot of talent there. 

Buffalo Station Lands Their Kind Of Guy

April 15, 2019 12:08 pm  #2

Re: WECK Lands Another Buffalo Radio Veteran

WECK certainly has an interesting history.  For a short period of time in the early 80s, it was one of the top-rated stations in Buffalo, playing the Big Band, Music of Your Life format.

About ten years ago, under the ownership of Dick Greene, it switched to a News Talk format, carrying the leftovers that other Buffalo stations rejected, including the Dennis Miller talk show and Jim Bohannon, who was dropped by WBEN for a couple of years.  It aired a Polka show on Saturday afternoon.  Kevin O Connell also did a drive time music show.  Thanks to voice-tracking, it aired the same time that he did the weather on WGRZ-TV

WECK has morphed into a quasi-FM station, with an AM signal and two FM translators.  Unless you stream it on the internet, it can barely be heard outside the Buffalo metropolitan area.  The local radio veterans that it has lured out of retirement suit the Soft Rock 1970s format that it airs today..

April 16, 2019 7:57 am  #3

I prefer the Beef on WECK!

April 16, 2019 11:19 am  #4

Citypulse News 15 wrote:

Over the years there have been rumors that the local delicacy influenced the choice of call letters.  I am not sure whether that is true or just local folklore.  https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/smile.png

April 16, 2019 12:12 pm  #5

Citypulse News 15 wrote:

Perhaps if they had hired Big Don Biefer, you would have gotten your wish!