sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2020 3:20 pm  #1


Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

This is from the U.S. but I found it quite relevant, as more and more stations (even some that aren't talk) sell themselves out to the highest bidders on Saturday and Sunday. 

A highlight:

"To shore up financing, the radio industry began selling the weekend timeslots, rather than paying for programs. Not merely selling ad slots, mind you, but nearly their entire weekend lineups. Because of the economic pressures, station managers paid too little attention to the content or quality of the shows, and instead just sold to the highest bidder...

"The result is that the radio industry has lost credibility. What used to be a trusted source for news and information has become a carnival barkers’ row where any advertiser can slap together an hour-long show and pay to get on the air."


(Closed circuit to Iain Grant - this doesn't apply to the ones you front!)

A once-perfect radio marriage ends in divorce

 

June 23, 2020 3:46 pm  #2


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

I hosted and produced live radio programs on Saturdays for 6 years (2001 thru 2006) on 640 Toronto and 610 CKTB...for 4 of those years (2003 to 2006) my shows were the only live programs that I can remember that weren't paid time, syndicated or a weekday re-roll...it was sad then and it's only gotten worse...

 

June 23, 2020 4:52 pm  #3


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

Weekend talk radio is utter crap.  Even when Roy Green in on Saturdays and Sundays, the time he doesn't spend attacking Trudeau, or fluffing Trump, is devoted to flogging some 'Chronic Pain' remedy.  When the best option is Uncle Ted's snooze-fest, you know the pickin's are slim.

 

June 23, 2020 5:09 pm  #4


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

RadioActive wrote:

"The result is that the radio industry has lost credibility. What used to be a trusted source for news and information has become a carnival barkers’ row where any advertiser can slap together an hour-long show and pay to get on the air."

While nobody would argue that paid programming is good for the industry, I think the chicken/egg thing is the other way around.

Paid programming didn't kill News/Talk; New/Talk was already in its twilight when selling large chunks of its least listened to time slots started to make short-term sense. To say doing so cost the entire industry its credibility doesn't make sense, when a tiny fraction of all radio listeners would have ever heard this change.
 


 
 

June 23, 2020 5:27 pm  #5


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

So

Charlie wrote:

Weekend talk radio is utter crap.  Even when Roy Green in on Saturdays and Sundays, the time he doesn't spend attacking Trudeau, or fluffing Trump, is devoted to flogging some 'Chronic Pain' remedy.  When the best option is Uncle Ted's snooze-fest, you know the pickin's are slim.

What's wrong with 1010's Saturday programming? Lots of great shows with Viewpoints, The Munk Debates, Weekend mornings with Dave Trafford and Amanda Lang's show.  I still like Ted okay on the weekend.

And this is why I don't mind hearing some repeat shows on the weekend. Programming that I didn't get to listen to in the first place.  Yes I know they are available on podcast, but I like when I hear one of Oakley's shows on the weekend or catch some of John Moore if I am driving somewhere mid morning on Saturday.  I like the fact that you still get up to date weather, news and traffic during the repeat programming. 

I enjoy some of the weekend programming on CHML in Hamilton, again with repeats of Scott Thompson and Bill Kelly who I hear rarely through the week.  I actually like the fact that weekend talk radio is somewhat different than through the week.
 
Roy Green to me always sounds in a rush, telling his guests we only have a few minutes left, or we are up against news. Maybe he should get to his guests sooner to give them more time?   The paid shows? A necessary evil and if you don't like em, don't listen, or listen to some groovy tunes...

 

June 23, 2020 5:42 pm  #6


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

paterson1 wrote:

So

Charlie wrote:

Weekend talk radio is utter crap.  Even when Roy Green in on Saturdays and Sundays, the time he doesn't spend attacking Trudeau, or fluffing Trump, is devoted to flogging some 'Chronic Pain' remedy.  When the best option is Uncle Ted's snooze-fest, you know the pickin's are slim.

What's wrong with 1010's Saturday programming? Lots of great shows with Viewpoints, The Munk Debates, Weekend mornings with Dave Trafford and Amanda Lang's show.  I still like Ted okay on the weekend.

And this is why I don't mind hearing some repeat shows on the weekend. Programming that I didn't get to listen to in the first place.  Yes I know they are available on podcast, but I like when I hear one of Oakley's shows on the weekend or catch some of John Moore if I am driving somewhere mid morning on Saturday.  I like the fact that you still get up to date weather, news and traffic during the repeat programming. 

I enjoy some of the weekend programming on CHML in Hamilton, again with repeats of Scott Thompson and Bill Kelly who I hear rarely through the week.  I actually like the fact that weekend talk radio is somewhat different than through the week.
 
Roy Green to me always sounds in a rush, telling his guests we only have a few minutes left, or we are up against news. Maybe he should get to his guests sooner to give them more time?   The paid shows? A necessary evil and if you don't like em, don't listen, or listen to some groovy tunes...

The paid shows?  I don't listen.  They stink.  Re-run shows are just that.  Talking about issues that were important several days before, and no longer as relevant?  Pass, thanks.  I already hear John Moore and Oakley during the week, and like them, but why would I listen to it again?  Food reviews by Ted, who's never met a free meal he didn't love, is phony and boring.  I don't like em, but I'm a radio fan, and want something to listen to while puttering about, walking the dog etc.  I can listen to groovy tunes any time I like.

 

June 23, 2020 6:27 pm  #7


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

I have to side with Charlie on this one, with a slight bow towards RadioAaron's position, as well. There is nothing that sends me to the dial changer faster than someone shilling something for 30 minutes or a full hour (well, except maybe Tom of Tom's Place in which I case I move at lightning speed to turn it off.) I'm the kind of listener who can barely stay tuned for a 30 sec. spot. And you want me to tune in for a commercial that lasts way longer than that? 

No thanks.

As far as Mr. Woloshyn is concerned, I've commented here in the past how much I respect his skills as a broadcaster, but I will never understand why anyone would tune in to hear someone eat on the radio (!) It sounds like a satirical sketch on his old Comedy Bowl show. What next? Card tricks and tap dancing on the radio?  It just doesn't make much sense to me but if you enjoy that kind of thing, by all means. Personal preferences, I guess.  

As for RB's other shows, I like Viewpoints as well for the most part, especially since so little else is on in that 7-10 PM timeslot. And while I give 1010 points for at least doing a live show in the mornings on the weekend, Mr. Trafford - also an excellent talent - spends way too much time for my liking on the lastest Food Bank campaign or Blood Donor Drive. Worthy causes all, but more suited to a 30 sec. PSA than a 15 minute interview. He does the best he can, but it's almost impossible to make that kind of stuff interesting for that long.  

Despite his occasional pauses for Sierra Sill, I like Roy Green's show for the most part. On a day when there's nothing much else on the dial for those looking for talk about actual news, he tends to have some pretty good guests, not always easy to get on a weekend.

Finally, while I'm not a huge fan of CBC Radio 1, I do find The House and Day Six usually worth a listen. But if Greg Brady stays live on 640 Saturday mornings, that might give them a run for their money. Well, it's the CBC, I should say OUR money! https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/laughing.png
  

     Thread Starter
 

June 23, 2020 6:53 pm  #8


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

There's just not much of a business case for spending on weekend programming on commercial News/Talk. There's a ceiling on listenership, and any nominal increase in ratings that follows won't pay for the programming.


 
 

June 23, 2020 7:19 pm  #9


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

RadioAaron wrote:

There's just not much of a business case for spending on weekend programming on commercial News/Talk. There's a ceiling on listenership, and any nominal increase in ratings that follows won't pay for the programming.

Although perhaps airing one show across the country, as Green's show does, is economical. One or two paycheques (Green and his producer) saves from having to bring anyone in on up to eight radio stations around the country. That might pay for itself.

Either way, I vastly prefer that to hours and hours of the Purity Products nonsense that airs every Sunday morning on Funny 820. It's not only unlistenable, I believe some of the claims could be legally challenged if anyone was actually hearing them.  

     Thread Starter
 

June 23, 2020 8:16 pm  #10


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

Charlie and RA, it sounds like you gents listen to the radio an awful lot more than the average person on the weekend.  I agree with Aaron, the audience is limited and likely not tuned in for long periods of time since most people are normally busy on the weekend, and listening habits more sporadic and much different than weekdays.
  
As I mentioned RB already does have a lot of good original programming on weekends, and it's tough if you have already heard Oakley, Agar or Moore etc. but most people haven't, and that's why they program the repeats, and economically makes sense. The repeat shows are usually billed as an overview or best of the past week.  For me, I like this format. I don't have time to listen to the radio hours on end every day. 

Sorry to hear this is such a big issue for you.  Programming wise private broadcasts will always opt for the biggest number or average listener and not the exception.  In terms of paid programming, we are still light years behind US radio in this regard, where they have some stations that are almost all paid programming all day and night weekend and weekday. I would hope the CRTC and private broadcasters would never let this happen here.

 

June 23, 2020 8:40 pm  #11


Re: Why Those Paid Shill Shows Are Killing Weekend Radio

Can't speak for Charlie, but yes, I do consume a lot of the medium, especially as I work around the house on the weekends and walk the dog. I like topical content, and I can't stand bland radio. If you're going to do a boring topic with a guest just to fill airtime, what's the point? I don't mind rerolls if I missed them the first time around, but I've always believed in putting on the best material you can regardless of the day part because you never know when you might make an impression on a listener. 

But yes, economics do come into play and good talent costs money. If you're going to spend it for decent people, you obviously don't want to waste them on the lower tuned weekends.

Roy Green, as an example, is semi-retired. He could probably do a daily show Mon.-Fri. (and he used to on CHML and for a while on 640 a long time ago) but two days a week is enough for him now. Weekends are perfect for what he does and I'm sure he's happy with the shift and the nearly-national exposure. And Corus gets programming for at least 8 stations across the country for a relatively small investment. Win/win as far as I can see. Wish more stations did that. 

     Thread Starter