sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2020 9:08 am  #1


Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Toronto Sun reporter Joe Warmington came on Marc Patrone’s show on Sauga 960 Wednesday making some pretty bizarre allegations. He told the conservative host that he used to do a lot of local radio, (not mentioning CFRB and GNR640 by name) but that CKNT was the only place he’ll appear anymore. “If not, I would refuse to do radio,” he noted.
 
He claimed that managers at 'the other stations' had ties to the Liberal party and had given orders that he be shut up and shut out of the Toronto airwaves. He contends that he upset the higher-ups when he went looking for “the truth.”
 
And he finished his rant by predicting that Sauga 960 would be one of the top stations in the GTA within the next 4-5 years, once word gets out about the great programming it offers. He claims he listens to all its shows everyday.
 
I will leave it to you to decide if you believe what he had to say or whether you think that last prediction could ever come true. But what a strange moment of radio it was.

 

October 14, 2020 10:12 am  #2


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

With their signal, it will never be in the top...  The signal isn't strong enough day or night to cover all of the GTA, and was never meant to.   At night it's basically just peel only.    

I doubt it was any "Liberal party connection" that ended his 1010, or 640 run...   I think it had more to do with statements he would make, that couldn't be backed up by their own newsrooms which put them into a situation of credibility.   Again can only assume.    I really grow tired of this left vs right thing...  Facts are facts... everything else is just opinion. 

Last edited by radiokid (October 14, 2020 10:13 am)

 

October 14, 2020 10:13 am  #3


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

There's no secret that Warmington is fairly hard right wing.  But his public views have not been so extreme as to threaten his employment at the Sun.  He better be careful though if he's upsetting the "higher ups" which I assume means his bosses at the Sun.

As for his allegation that all the other radio stations in the area are shutting him down... if he claims to be any kind of real journalist shouldn't he come armed with some proof like leaked emails sent among management at radio stations or something.

Otherwise his claims amount to about the same thing as some schmoe bitching down at the pub.
 

 

October 14, 2020 10:20 am  #4


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

newsguy1 wrote:

There's no secret that Warmington is fairly hard right wing.  But his public views have not been so extreme as to threaten his employment at the Sun.  He better be careful though if he's upsetting the "higher ups" which I assume means his bosses at the Sun.

As for his allegation that all the other radio stations in the area are shutting him down... if he claims to be any kind of real journalist shouldn't he come armed with some proof like leaked emails sent among management at radio stations or something.

Otherwise his claims amount to about the same thing as some schmoe bitching down at the pub.
 

Sadly the Sun is known to be a right of center paper....   as the Star is known as being left of center.    I think people expect it in the Sun so complaints would not hold as much water unless he really went off the deep end.   I really miss the concept of taking opinion out and just covering the facts, leaving the editorial for the editorial section of the paper.    Sadly I'm in the minority or the news papers really don't listen to their readers. 

 

October 14, 2020 10:34 am  #5


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

The last time I heard Wormington on 640, he was a huge dick to Tina T.  I believe it was sometime last summer when Supriya was on mat leave.  

Eff him

Last edited by grilled.cheese (October 14, 2020 10:34 am)

 

October 14, 2020 10:59 am  #6


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

I must shed my Lurker guise for this one. When you look up doofus in the dictionary, you'll find Warmington's picture, complete with goofy hat. His ramblings are not those of someone with a working brain. That has more to do with why he can't get on a real radio station.

 

October 14, 2020 11:25 am  #7


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

 Is AM 960 a tax write off?  How does the station make money? 
 

 

October 14, 2020 11:36 am  #8


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

radiokid wrote:

 I really miss the concept of taking opinion out and just covering the facts, leaving the editorial for the editorial section of the paper.

Amen to that.  A million amens.
 


- Chris Mayberry
 

October 14, 2020 11:52 am  #9


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

I give radio management and program directors / brand managers a hard time cause most of them are gutless pussies that have thin skin and care more about sales and the bottom line than actual quality content....but keeping Wacko-mington off the air is a smart move....we have enough of these old white guy conspiracy theorists out there claiming to know the 'truth' that they either made up, found on the dark web or got from some Russian or Chinese troll bot

 

October 14, 2020 12:16 pm  #10


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Joe Warmington yet again whining about some conspiracy BS .. surprises no one ..

 

October 14, 2020 12:18 pm  #11


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Warmington has long been a laughingstock in most media circles, not especially insightful or entertaining (albeit he’s sometimes unintentionally funny.) Why would either 640 or 1010 bother with him?

Last edited by Holliday (October 14, 2020 12:30 pm)

 

October 14, 2020 2:05 pm  #12


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Great to see the reasoned, logical response to this post. If it were on any Radio board, say west of Alberta, there would be a significant number of responses in ALL CAPS linking to David Icke posts.

 

October 14, 2020 2:09 pm  #13


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Anyone who wants to know exactly how inept Warmington is should watch Netflix's doc on the Luka Magnotta case - "Don't Fuck with Cats" - which features Warmington being manipulated by the murderer and still being clueless about a) how he was used and b) the need to actually look into the background of your source before running with a story. Warmington wouldn't last at any real news organization, regardless of their or his politics. He wouldn't last at the National Post or any Postmedia paper outside of the Suns. As for CFRB and GNR - they are both fairly conservative outlets even if they aren't loony right. They only other media outlet Warmington would fit in with is Rebel which isn't really a news outlet at all. 

Last edited by Hansa (October 14, 2020 2:15 pm)

 

October 14, 2020 2:17 pm  #14


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

MonteVideo wrote:

Great to see the reasoned, logical response to this post. If it were on any Radio board, say west of Alberta, there would be a significant number of responses in ALL CAPS linking to David Icke posts.

Everyone around here knows the Royals eat babies; There's no need to prove it.

 

October 14, 2020 4:31 pm  #15


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Don't forget the guest spots that he has had on "Being Frank"...

 

October 14, 2020 5:00 pm  #16


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

'The Worm' is a weird dude.  Why would any radio station want anything to do with him?  Asking for trouble.

 

October 14, 2020 5:48 pm  #17


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

So both Sue Ann Levy and Joe Warmington are shut out of mainstream radio? This doesn't surprise me for some reason. Although I wouldn't be shocked if either or both of them end up on AM 740, at least occasionally. Moses politics has moved rightward if some of the content on Vision and 740 over the past few years is any indication. 

 

October 14, 2020 5:50 pm  #18


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Perhaps they're candidates for the new "News Forum?"

     Thread Starter
 

October 14, 2020 5:59 pm  #19


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Maybe - but it sounds so far like News Forum is trying to be taken seriously and is avoiding putting any yappy dogs on the air. 

 

October 14, 2020 6:26 pm  #20


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Glen Warren wrote:

Don't forget the guest spots that he has had on "Being Frank"...

That says it all.

 

Last edited by Media Observer (October 14, 2020 6:29 pm)

 

October 15, 2020 9:17 am  #21


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Steve Warmington has always struck me as a regular blue collar type of guy with lots of opinions.  Some of his thoughts are interesting, maybe even correct, but he usually doesn't back them up with much.  

I am always interested in why people think the way they do, especially when taking a strong or unconventional stand on certain subjects.  But when you do this, you better have some facts or well thought out reasoning to back up your argument other than that you "don't like it or doesn't seem right or this isn't the way we do it."

It wasn't a good move by implying that GNR and Newstalk 1010 management both had ties to the Liberal party and were trying to shut him down.  Really?  Did they or didn't they? And prove it.  Back the claim up with something.

Or maybe was his radio act running thin and he had nothing new to say?  Or too many listeners just don't like him?   Maybe it was actually something closer to these things.  And now he is bitter and blaming others rather than looking at himself?

 For years, Warmington had been a guest on Jerry Agar's show.  If either Newstalk 1010 or GNR had real issues with his conservative opinions and were trying to shut him out like he claims, he would have been pulled from the airwaves a long long time ago.  
 

 

October 15, 2020 9:35 am  #22


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Warmington's biggest problem on-air was that he was dull as dishwater.  If 1010 is so anti-Conservative, how do you explain Agar holding right-wing court for 3 bombastic hours daily?

 

October 15, 2020 12:00 pm  #23


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Media Observer wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

Don't forget the guest spots that he has had on "Being Frank"...

That says it all.

 



 

 

October 15, 2020 3:52 pm  #24


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

I leave my reading of SOWNY, today, with a satisfied "ahhhh".

Sanity rules.
https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/smile.png

 

October 15, 2020 4:29 pm  #25


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

LongTimeLurker wrote:

I must shed my Lurker guise for this one. When you look up doofus in the dictionary, you'll find Warmington's picture, complete with goofy hat. His ramblings are not those of someone with a working brain. That has more to do with why he can't get on a real radio station.

Do us a favour Lurker and put the cloak back on until you can come back with something beyond vague and unsubstantiated ad hominem attacks.

 

October 16, 2020 7:06 am  #26


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

J. Warmington's piece on the Christine Jessop cold case in today's Sun is interesting & sensitive (non-sensational) IMHO.   An interesting read for anyone here who hasn't permanently condemned Warmington

geo 

 

October 16, 2020 8:47 am  #27


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

geo wrote:

J. Warmington's piece on the Christine Jessop cold case in today's Sun is interesting & sensitive (non-sensational) IMHO.   An interesting read for anyone here who hasn't permanently condemned Warmington

geo 

He can be competent as a reporter for straightforward stories where all he has to do is talk to someone and write down what he's told - basic stenography is his forte - unfortunately he has no capacity to actually asess what he's been told. It's when he has to engage in analysis or shares his opinions that he falls down. He's awful at assessing evidence and discerning credible facts from noise and misinformation and especially from discerning his own opinions from facts - he's a walking confirmation bias machine.  (eg Luka Magnotta's hoax about Karla Homulka or that ridiculous story about Drake's lyrics when he was either deliberately fed fake lyrics by a troll or just invented lyrics that weren't there). 

Last edited by Hansa (October 16, 2020 8:48 am)

 

Today 5:58 am  #28


Re: Toronto Sun’s Joe Warmington Makes Bizarre Prediction On Sauga 960

Didn't last long .... on 1010 just after 6:30 with Jonn Moore lauding Toronto Police on a raid where they didn't use their firearms.