sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2020 2:39 pm  #31


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

This is also the new pattern - get your AM format out on FM, while retaining the big signal.

WBBM Chicago is still spitting out 50K of news at 780, but they're also now on 105.9. WFAN New York still sports 660, but you can also hear it at 101.9 in New York. KDKA Pittsburgh is on both 1020 and 100.1 and KYW Philadelphia now doles out the headlines on clear channel 1060 and 103.9. And don't forget WABC is both 770 in New York and WLIR at 107.1 in Long Island. 

How they all found room on a crowded dial in those cities is another question. You'll note that all of the above are spoken word stations, not music. A waste of a precious FM position or the logical progression of AM? You can decide for yourself but it's a trend that's been increasing in (you should pardon the expression) frequency for a few years now. 

 

December 16, 2020 2:50 pm  #32


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

It's a way to do things cheaper. Wipe out all the staff @ Jack.

That was one person. This was in no way the cheaper option.
 

It was a lot more than one person. Unless they are forced to do a lot more to separate Smith Falls news & info from Ottawa news it WAS DONE TO DO THINGS CHEAPER!!! 

A repeater is a repeater is a repeater. All the staff from Jack was let go, wiping out that expense. 
NOTHING is going into the cost of bodies @ 101.1 now, unless Rogers is forced to do something different.
 

 

December 16, 2020 3:20 pm  #33


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

You are wrong.

There was one on-air person at Jack - they didn't even have a Smiths Falls studio or office anymore. The one announcer was working from home.

You don't re-brand three frequencies to save a single salary

In fact, they're now down one station worth of ad dollars. This was an investment.
 

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 16, 2020 6:08 pm)


 
 

December 16, 2020 4:54 pm  #34


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

RadioAaron wrote:

You are wrong.

There was one on-air person at Jack - they didn't even have a Smiths Falls studio or office anymore. The once announcer was working from home.

You don't re-brand three frequencies to save a single salary

In fact, they're now down one station worth of ad dollars. This was an investment.
 

Why do you keep saying it's just one person? 
There were others doing other shifts. From home? Maybe? But it was not just one person.
As for ad revenue, they can run ads for Smith falls on 101.1 and ads for Ottawa on 1310. 
No loss.
Rogers must have thought it through. They would never give up ad revenue intentionally.

 

December 16, 2020 5:55 pm  #35


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

Radiowiz wrote:

Why do you keep saying it's just one person? 
There were others doing other shifts. From home? Maybe? But it was not just one person.

One person; Wayne Kavanaugh. Been there 30+ years. Everything else was out-of-market VTs or just straight music. Imaging done from another JACK; ditto music.

 


 
 

December 16, 2020 5:59 pm  #36


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

Radiowiz wrote:

As for ad revenue, they can run ads for Smith falls on 101.1 and ads for Ottawa on 1310. 
No loss.
Rogers must have thought it through. They would never give up ad revenue intentionally.

Both rated stations that were sold separately. It's now a 100% simulcast. Besides, 101.1 was sold at Ottawa rates as an Ottawa station, not SF. It's a reduction in inventory, that's less revenue in the short-term.

They'll be able to convince some CKBY clients to stay on at 92.3, but without ratings, it won't be all.

Of course they thought it through -- they're thinking that by turning CityNews into a legitimate player in the market, the resulting future revenues will be greater than what they've given up for now.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 16, 2020 6:07 pm)


 
 

December 16, 2020 6:50 pm  #37


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

I think it would be a great idea (but doubt if this would work) if another broadcaster like My Broadcasting, Vista, Torres Media, the owners of CHLK-FM 88.1 Perth, etc. would try and submit applications to the CRTC to operate a new locally produced FM radio station at Smiths Falls besides Rogers-owned CKBY-FM 92.3, if the simulcast of CIWW AM 1310 on 101.1 is now an Ottawa station. My Broadcasting had made an attempt to open a new FM radio station at Carleton Place in 2014 but got turned down by the CRTC. https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-157.htm

 

December 16, 2020 7:01 pm  #38


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

Scorpio42 wrote:

I think it would be a great idea (but doubt if this would work) if another broadcaster like My Broadcasting, Vista, Torres Media, the owners of CHLK-FM 88.1 Perth, etc. would try and submit applications to the CRTC to operate a new locally produced FM radio station at Smiths Falls besides Rogers-owned CKBY-FM 92.3, if the simulcast of CIWW AM 1310 on 101.1 is now an Ottawa station. My Broadcasting had made an attempt to open a new FM radio station at Carleton Place in 2014 but got turned down by the CRTC. https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-157.htm

If anyone could do it, it's MyFM. Just not sure there's any money to be made by anyone in Smiths Falls these days.


 
 

December 16, 2020 8:45 pm  #39


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

RadioAaron wrote:

One person; Wayne Kavanaugh. Been there 30+ years. Everything else was out-of-market VTs or just straight music. Imaging done from another JACK; ditto music.
 

https://web.archive.org/web/20200518020204/https://www.jack923.com/shows/
https://www.insideottawavalley.com/community-story/6124688-popular-radio-personality-wayne-cavanagh-signs-off-after-46-years/
 

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 16, 2020 9:01 pm)

 

December 16, 2020 9:19 pm  #40


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

You do realize that article is from 5 years ago, right?

I got the two names mixed up; Wayne retired 5 years ago, John Chatwood was the one announcer let go this time


 

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 16, 2020 9:24 pm)


 
 

December 16, 2020 9:22 pm  #41


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

Nicolle - tracked from JACK Halifax
Veronica - Copywriter in Ottawa who tracked evenings
Kenny - Tracked specialty shows from Kiss Winnipeg and later Star Chilliwack.

Again, JACK had one full-time on-air staffer.
 

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 16, 2020 9:25 pm)


 
 

December 17, 2020 9:59 am  #42


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

it’s a branding exercise to allow network content to be shared across the country on evenings and weekends. Curremtly 680 becomes CityNews after midnight when they pick up the feed from Calgary.   At least last time I listened.  

RadioActive wrote:

Actually, I wasn't referring to any of the stations shifting to FM. I was just wondering if 680 News will soon be known as "CityNews," to cross promote the TV product and vice versa. I'm somewhat surprised they haven't done this before now. 

 


Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
 
 

December 18, 2020 6:30 pm  #43


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

RadioActive wrote:

This is also the new pattern - get your AM format out on FM, while retaining the big signal.

WBBM Chicago is still spitting out 50K of news at 780, but they're also now on 105.9. WFAN New York still sports 660, but you can also hear it at 101.9 in New York. KDKA Pittsburgh is on both 1020 and 100.1 and KYW Philadelphia now doles out the headlines on clear channel 1060 and 103.9. And don't forget WABC is both 770 in New York and WLIR at 107.1 in Long Island. 

How they all found room on a crowded dial in those cities is another question. You'll note that all of the above are spoken word stations, not music. A waste of a precious FM position or the logical progression of AM? You can decide for yourself but it's a trend that's been increasing in (you should pardon the expression) frequency for a few years now. 

Seattle has several instances of this: news/talk KOMO on 1000 AM and 97.7 FM (licensed to Oakville, WA); also NPR member KUOW 1340 AM (licensed to Tumwater, WA) and 94.3 FM. There also used to be KIRO 710 AM which started simulcasting on 97.3 FM in 2008. However in that case the simulcast lasted less than a year, with the AM becoming all-sports ESPN in 2009.

And of course in some Canadian cities this situation also exists with CBC Radio One - mainly in Western Canada where AM stations cover a wide area but the urban area doesn't have a strong AM signal due to interference so an FM station is used to repeat the AM. At least in Vancouver's case, the FM is a full-power repeater of 690 on 88.1, though I think nested low-power repeaters are used in some other cases.

Aside from what Ottawa now has with 1310/101.1, I'm not aware of this situation anywhere else in Ontario, aside from what CKDO in Oshawa does (but that's also not a news station).

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (December 18, 2020 6:33 pm)

 

December 19, 2020 7:11 pm  #44


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

RadioActive wrote:

Aside from what Ottawa now has with 1310/101.1, I'm not aware of this situation anywhere else in Ontario, aside from what CKDO in Oshawa does (but that's also not a news station).

There's also some non-news/talk format AM radio stations in Ontario aside from CKDO Oshawa. CHOK AM 1070 Sarnia is also heard on 103.9 FM and CFCO AM 630 Chatham heard on 92.9 FM. There may be more. CKOT AM 1510 Tilsonburg what was one of Canada's last remaining daytimers simulcast their signal on FM until 1510 was shutdown in 2013.  

I heard that CJME AM 980 a news/talk radio station out in Regina, Saskatchewan has full power FM rebroadcasters in CJME-1-FM 101.7 FM Swift Current, CJME-2-FM 107.1 FM Gravelbourg, and CJME-3-FM 107.3 FM Warmley. These rebroadcasters were approved by the CRTC in 2010.

A couple of radio stations CFOS AM 560 Owen Sound and CKNX AM 920 Wingham both were denied licenses to operate a nested FM frequency to rebroadcast their AM signal years ago.

CFOS:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/db2008-25.htm

CKNX:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-238.htm

There's that possibility that there may be more future AM radio stations in Ontario and across the country that may apply for FM rebroadcasters. Or just simulcast their AM signal like they did to CIWW 1310 Ottawa on 101.1 FM Smiths Falls.

 

December 19, 2020 7:57 pm  #45


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

It's not quite the same, because the FM is a lot weaker, but who could forget that AM 740's monster signal is matched on 96.7 FM in "Downtown Toronto," although it goes a bit farther than that.

I've always found it telling that when a station simulcasts its AM signal on FM that the I.D. almost always mentions the FM first. 740 does this, despite its counterpart's more vastly limited signal, and so does CKDO.

     Thread Starter
 

January 7, 2021 8:48 am  #46


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

Interesting story on how the loss of a local radio station affects a community. Plus some great vintage pics. 
 
‘I’m saddened:’ Loss of last Smiths Falls radio station silences local voice

     Thread Starter
 

January 7, 2021 4:24 pm  #47


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

So sad indeed! 🙁 Hopefully some local broadcastcaster may apply for a license for a new locally produced radio station in Smiths Falls if all works out. There's still some available vacant frequencies in the Smiths Falls area. Just a thought! 🙂

 

January 7, 2021 5:09 pm  #48


Re: Rogers' 1310 News Flips To FM In Ottawa. Is National Rebranding Next?

Scorpio42 wrote:

So sad indeed! 🙁 Hopefully some local broadcastcaster may apply for a license for a new locally produced radio station in Smiths Falls if all works out. There's still some available vacant frequencies in the Smiths Falls area. Just a thought! 🙂

Another My FM?

Or whoever owns Lake 88.1 in nearby Perth.