sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2021 6:12 pm  #1

SHANE Brother Shane

· Sad to report the passing of Buffalo broadcasting legend Shane “Brother” Shane... Shane Gibson. Shane died of a heart attack at this home. He was 78. More on Shane... https://buffalobroadcasters.com/inductee/shane-gibson/Buffalo Radio legend Shane Gibson aka "Shane Brother Shane" and "The Cosmic Cowboy" passed away yesterday at his home in Virginia. Shane had a tremendous radio career in Buffalo and even ran for public office (Buffalo Common Council and NY State Senate). After moving to Virginia 25 years ago, Shane was active in the gym and became a golf instructor. He held a PGA card. Shane always considered Buffalo, "home." He will be missed by all who listened to him on the air in Buffalo. Feel free to share your stories about Shane in the comments.RIP Shane.

Last edited by Tardis (February 16, 2021 6:12 pm)

February 16, 2021 7:07 pm  #2

Re: SHANE Brother Shane

Only time I ever tuned CHUM or CFTR out was when Shane was on at the time on GR-55.   I won't get it exactly right but I always loved his sign off "..if it was good it was brought to you by many, if it was bad it was all mine."
Something like that anyway.   Very humble.   Always loved listening to Shane.  RIP.

February 16, 2021 7:42 pm  #3

From WBEN-AM's website:

Legendary Buffalo radio DJ Shane dies

I think it's interesting that he had a Linked-In page - but never mentioned a single station he worked at. 

Shane Gibson's Linked-In page

His Facebook page had not been updated since July 2020. But one of those posts, from April of last year, seems to perfectly sum up the man.

"I am who and what I am, what I've been and where I've been and in a way will be. Just a man, just a friend and I pray so through the end. My greatest gift from Father, the empathy in my heart. My brothers and my sisters, I've been with you from the very start. Care for one another and I swear we'll never part. Let's Rock and Roll forever and forever in my soul, I'll remain the "Cosmic Cowboy" still shouting out, "Let's Go, let's go, let's go!!" "

"WE HAVE TO GROW OLDER OR WE PASS ON. BUT!! If YOU DON'T WANT TO GROW 'OLD....... DON'T"

February 16, 2021 8:01 pm  #4

Was he on GR 55 during evenings in 1981, say spring?  I remember him coming out of Blondie's "Rapture".  It might've been around March.  Hard to believe that if that's the case, he was only 38 back then.  Time flies.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 16, 2021 8:46 pm  #5

Shane on WGR from April 28, 1980. Rest In Peace, Cosmic Cowboy...

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/wgr-shane-apr28-80.mp3

Shane on WKBW with "The Box" from 1974. Classic Shane.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/wkbw-shane-74.mp3

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/shane-brother-shane.gif

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 16, 2021 8:53 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 16, 2021 8:50 pm  #6

Jody Thornton wrote:

Was he on GR 55 during evenings in 1981, say spring? I remember him coming out of Blondie's "Rapture". It might've been around March. Hard to believe that if that's the case, he was only 38 back then. Time flies.

Shane did evenings on WGR from 1975 to about 1983, then came back as program director and drive host in the late '80s.

Prior to WGR, he was heard in Buffalo on WKBW and WYSL in 1973-74, and at WWKB briefly in the early '90s.

February 16, 2021 8:52 pm  #7

I used to go to college with a guy who was obsessed with Shane on WGR. He was such a big fan that one day, he went down to Buffalo when Shane was doing a remote from what I think was the Erie County Fair. The place near the display was crowded but my old classmate took a huge sheet of paper and wrote a message on it, holding it up to the window where Shane was doing his thing. It read something like, "Hi Brother Shane! I'm from Toronto. Mike Cooper sent me." 

It was a complete lie, of course. But it worked. He said at that point, Shane motioned for him to come inside the booth and talked to him for a while. He was ecstatic and he never forgot that moment. That was the power of DJs in those days. They truly were stars. 

February 16, 2021 8:53 pm  #8

I very much enjoyed his show on GR-55 and also remember the humble sign off. 

To this listener Shane had a unique style; with passion for the music and appeared to genuinely enjoy what he was doing, you could just tell that.

Sad to hear of his passing.

February 16, 2021 8:56 pm  #9

I met Shane once at a Buffalo radio gathering. He was very soft-spoken, to the point where you had to lean in to hear him. A humble man.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 16, 2021 8:57 pm)

February 16, 2021 9:15 pm  #10

There's an embedded aircheck on this page of Shane's first "audition" on WKBW, part of a "contest" to find the next big jock. He lost to someone else, who flamed out almost immediately and Shane replaced him, beginning his long run in Buffalo.

February 16, 2021 9:19 pm  #11

Shane was one of the best and GR55 was a fantastic station back then - as was radio in general!

February 16, 2021 10:19 pm  #12

Here's the story behind The Great American Talent Hunt, from Rock Radio Scrapbook:

When Jack Armstrong left WKBW in February, 1973, the station was faced with a daunting task: how to replace him? The answer: they held a contest.It was called the Great American Talent Hunt, and for 10 nights 'KB listeners were treated to a variety of jocks all competing for Armstrong's vacated 6-10 p.m. shift.Here's the complete list of contestants and their station at the time if available:

Monday, March 5Dick Kemp

Tuesday, March 6Andrew Jackson (Big AngeWPRO, Providence, Rhode Island)

Wednesday, March 7Judd Coursey

Thursday, March 8Shane (WLEE, Richmond, Virginia)

Friday, March 9 - The Greaseman (WAXC Rochester, New York)

Monday, March 12Mike St. James (WFTL, Fort Lauderdale, Florida)

Tuesday, March 13Bruce Clark (WKAZ, Charleston, West Virginia)

Wednesday, March 14The Janitor (WLOF, Orlando, Florida)

Thursday, March 15Jim Carter (WBAB, Babylon, New York)

Friday, March 16Super Shannon (WGRQ, Buffalo)

The Janitor (Warren Miller) was declared the winner, but he didn't last long at 'KB and was replaced by Shane. Another contestant - Super Shannon - also did the evening shift at 'KB later in the decade.

NOTE: Albert HammondHarry Chapin and either Peter or Paul from Peter, Paul and Mary did guest shifts, co-hosted by Don Berns, February 28-March 2. They were not part of the contest, however.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 16, 2021 10:22 pm)

February 16, 2021 10:51 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

There's an embedded aircheck on this page of Shane's first "audition" on WKBW, part of a "contest" to find the next big jock. He lost to someone else, who flamed out almost immediately and Shane replaced him, beginning his long run in Buffalo.

This site has been stealing my content and even has the audacity to steal my bandwidth by linking directly to my airchecks. E-mails complaining about this have gone answered. Please do not visit this site.

February 16, 2021 11:30 pm  #14

Sorry Dale, I was unaware of it. I hate when people do that. I will remove the link. Perhaps you can supply a link to the original audition if you have it.

February 19, 2021 8:23 am  #15

A nice tribute in a Richmond, Va. newspaper, the place Shane called home at the end of his life. 

Shane Gibson, a 'true Richmond radio legend,' dies at 78

By the way, Shane is featured in the documentary mentioned in the article. You can see it below.

February 19, 2021 2:20 pm  #16

I was watching the video above because I love radio history and at about the 29:15 mark, there's a ton of stuff from Shane, remembering some pretty incredible moments from his time at WLEE. For those too busy to watch it, here's the text of his comments, along with some revelations most of us never knew about how he worked. 

"Every time I opened that microphone, it sounded like I was just off the cuff. But I wrote my show every night from home. From 10 o'clock till 2 o'clock in the morning, I would write. So that when I introduced an act or I was talking about a situation or I was coming out of the news - and loving every minute at WLEE, it was just a great experience of my life - but I knew what I was going to do. And it sounded like I didn't!

But the words came through and the emotions came through to the people that I touched and they thought, 'alright, he's my guy. '

If you're going to introduce an act, you want the audience to be pleasantly surprised by that act. So every time I played a record on the air, it wasn't like the morning shift, it wasn't like the mid-[afternoons.] I was the first Top 40 disc jockey in America. In fact, I'm considered, I'm in books as one of the fathers of album rock stations. Because I was the only guy that could play, and if anybody out there remembers, I was actually allowed to play up to four album cuts an hour. This was not done in those days. 

One of the other things that I'm most proud of in this life, is that the first time I got on the air, the very first night, I had done some scouting and when I got on the air, the first thing I did was say, "Good evening, City of the Monuments!" And that's what I called Richmond, was the City of the Monuments, from the day I got on the air to the day I left. 

So now, I come to find out that it's actually a line that this kid that used to listen to my show as a fan of mine, he wrote a song that was the unofficial - and now official - State Song of Virginia. And in that song, is the City of the Monuments. And I'm very proud of that, cause I created that." 

At one point, a listener said he'd named his son after Shane, a moment the veteran DJ never forgot. 

"Not only do I remember that, but I remember the same kind of thing happening in Buffalo, where somebody called me up and she's having a baby and ... while she's delivering the baby, they brought [the radio] into the room - and I played [Stevie Wonder's] "Isn't She Lovely." 

February 19, 2021 3:08 pm  #17

Thx for posting RA.

Never heard Shane on WLEE.

February 22, 2021 1:15 pm  #18

Sad to hear. I really enjoyed Shane's over-the-top performance back in the day. I chose my nickname on this forum because Adam, Meldrum and Anderson were one of Shane's big sponsors.

One of the other threads concerning the trend of CHR suggested that allowing talent to have personalities again might help. Few had as big an on-air persona as Shane.

February 25, 2021 8:52 am  #19

Dale Patterson wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

This site has been stealing my content and even has the audacity to steal my bandwidth by linking directly to my airchecks. E-mails complaining about this have gone answered. Please do not visit this site.

They have done the same with my web site. What makes me the most upset is some sites selling air checks which I recorded myself and which I have made available for free. My playing recent air checks through an AM stereo transmitter may offer some kind of "watermark." Will be interesting if these end up for sale.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/