sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2017 1:45 pm  #31

Re: It’s Z103.5 in Orangeville. You Hear Me??? It’s ORANGEVILLE!!!

Hi RadioPaulpa. I also would love to know if you have been able to receive any other FM stations in the Toronto and surrounding area. The only Pa. stations that I receive when the conditions are right are STAR104 and NASH97.9 from Erie and WRRN 92.3 in Warren. Back in the early 80's, I once picked up a station in Beaver Falls at 106.7. Can't remember the call letters.

December 29, 2017 1:53 pm  #32

mace wrote:

Hi RadioPaulpa. I also would love to know if you have been able to receive any other FM stations in the Toronto and surrounding area. The only Pa. stations that I receive when the conditions are right are STAR104 and NASH97.9 from Erie and WRRN 92.3 in Warren. Back in the early 80's, I once picked up a station in Beaver Falls at 106.7. Can't remember the call letters.

106.7 is now WAOB, catholic radio. It's like a semi local from 100 miles away.

Star 104 is 80 miles west of me and lights up my RDS every time.

If you see my previous post on the previous page I list some stations and audio clips of what I've heard.

December 31, 2017 6:09 pm  #33

According to the latest census, the population of Orangeville is about 31,000. How many towns this size in Canada have two local radio stations? It's ridiculous that the CRTC is still demanding that Z103.5 identify as an Orangeville station. The CRTC has treated them very badly and it's no surprise that they are now requesting an increase in power for their Proud station in Toronto. As a business, what would you do if you were them?

Back in the late 70's, CFNY in Brampton was granted a huge increase in power to make listening to 102.5 from Buffalo difficult in the GTA as they had attracted a large share of the Ontario advertising dollars. Today CFNY identifies as a Toronto radio station and as the GTA has expanded considerably in the last 40 years, Orangeville today is part of the GTA just as Brampton was back then.

December 31, 2017 8:38 pm  #34

Hrick wrote:

Back in the late 70's, CFNY in Brampton was granted a huge increase in power to make listening to 102.5 from Buffalo difficult in the GTA as they had attracted a large share of the Ontario advertising dollars.

The time I started hating the CRTC as a kid can be traced back to two days - and the CFNY insane power boost was one of them. How a station essentially broadcasting to their parking lot at 857 watts was suddenly allowed to go to 100,000 watts was outrageous and ridiculous.

And yes, I well remember what it did to WBEN-FM the day it happened and I always suspected that was the exact reason, especially since the Allen Brothers, who owned what was then CHIC-FM, weren't exactly the paragon of broadcasters.

The second thing the Commission, through Industry Canada, did that infuriated me was allowing CBLT to move from Channel 6 to Channel 5 (presumably to make way for Global's stick in Desoronto, although surely there were other VHF options available) causing such horrendous interference on Buffalo's Channel 4 that it was all but obliterated for those of us watching on antenna - which in those days, most were. I remember my father buying an adjustable trap back then and WBEN-TV was restored, but it was never as clear again until the switch to digital.

I always compared this to the Iron Curtain. When the old Soviet Union jammed Western radio and TV signals into Russia, everyone agreed it was a terrible thing. But when Canada blocked a Buffalo station here, well, that was somehow protecting our sovereignty, that's just fine. Such hypocrisy.

And even though I no longer listen to what is now WTSS-FM and can get Channel 4's digital signal OTA just fine most days, thinking back on this still makes me angry. This protectionist crap continues to go on with simsub on cable (the Super Bowl excepted!) And yes, I'm well aware of the rights issues and the mess that causes. It's the main reason why I refuse to subscribe to cable even now.  

It was wrong then. And it's still wrong today.