sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Tue Apr 3 12:15 pm  #1


CIDC 103.5

Here's the tower for Evanov Radio's CIDC-FM 103.5 Orangeville. 30,7000 Watts at 624 feet from a site a few miles east of Orangeville. They are about 35 miles NW of Toronto. The pictures were taken by a friend of mine who lives in about 10-15 minutes away.

Apparently there is some confusion, as the address of record Orangeville City Hall has for CIDC is the old tower site they moved off of in 2000 to come to this site. The old site is supposedly back up, but I didn't see any FM bays on it. I don't know if any of this confusion is because my friend misunderstood something or not


http://i66.tinypic.com/ri6n95.jpg


 

 

Tue Apr 3 1:35 pm  #2


Re: CIDC 103.5

The view and elevation from this site is enormous which gives them a good broad coverage area however, as they complain its not good enough for downtown Toronto.

 

 

Tue Apr 3 1:38 pm  #3


Re: CIDC 103.5

markow202 wrote:

The view and elevation from this site is enormous which gives them a good broad coverage area however, as they complain its not good enough for downtown Toronto.

 

Is it really that bad? The 60dbu looks like it encompasses all of Toronto.

I emailed the morning guy, Scott Fox with a clip of the signal and his reply was "Interesting how radio works. I can't hear it in my garage but you can hear it in Pennsylvania!"

     Thread Starter
 

Tue Apr 3 2:11 pm  #4


Re: CIDC 103.5

markow202 wrote:

The view and elevation from this site is enormous which gives them a good broad coverage area however, as they complain its not good enough for downtown Toronto.

 

It all depends on where you are in Toronto. Out in Scarborough (and possibly other parts)
103.3 out of Buffalo likes to cut in.

 

Tue Apr 3 2:13 pm  #5


Re: CIDC 103.5

RadioPaulPA wrote:

Is it really that bad? The 60dbu looks like it encompasses all of Toronto.

The issue is receiver front end desense (inter-modulation) caused by the stations on the CN Tower and First Canadian Place. That's a lot of RF power.

 

Tue Apr 3 2:15 pm  #6


Re: CIDC 103.5

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

RadioPaulPA wrote:

Is it really that bad? The 60dbu looks like it encompasses all of Toronto.

The issue is receiver front end desense (inter-modulation) caused by the stations on the CN Tower and First Canadian Place. That's a lot of RF power.

You know, im still wondering the CN effects on people living near it in condos and working around.

 

Tue Apr 3 2:20 pm  #7


Re: CIDC 103.5

markow202 wrote:

You know, im still wondering the CN effects on people living near it in condos and working around.

I wouldn't live down there - even if I could afford to.
 

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (Tue Apr 3 2:25 pm)

 

Thu Apr 5 5:38 am  #8


Re: CIDC 103.5

Scott Fybush who writes a blog called Northeast Radio Watch would describe the CIDC signal in Toronto as a rim shot.

 

Fri Apr 6 1:49 pm  #9


Re: CIDC 103.5

RadioPaulPA wrote:

markow202 wrote:

The view and elevation from this site is enormous which gives them a good broad coverage area however, as they complain its not good enough for downtown Toronto.

 

Is it really that bad? The 60dbu looks like it encompasses all of Toronto.

I emailed the morning guy, Scott Fox with a clip of the signal and his reply was "Interesting how radio works. I can't hear it in my garage but you can hear it in Pennsylvania!"

That's because there's a huge difference in land elevation between their Orangeville area transmitter site (approx 460m or 1500 ft. ASL) v.s. downtown Toronto (approx 80m or 260 ft. ASL at Union Station).  With this along with all the downtown skyscrapers, that 60dbu signal gets cut down pretty quickly in downtown Toronto as LoS is blocked in most areas.

 

Fri Apr 6 2:03 pm  #10


Re: CIDC 103.5

PwrSurge wrote:

RadioPaulPA wrote:

markow202 wrote:

The view and elevation from this site is enormous which gives them a good broad coverage area however, as they complain its not good enough for downtown Toronto.

 

Is it really that bad? The 60dbu looks like it encompasses all of Toronto.

I emailed the morning guy, Scott Fox with a clip of the signal and his reply was "Interesting how radio works. I can't hear it in my garage but you can hear it in Pennsylvania!"

That's because there's a huge difference in land elevation between their Orangeville area transmitter site (approx 460m or 1500 ft. ASL) v.s. downtown Toronto (approx 80m or 260 ft. ASL at Union Station).  With this along with all the downtown skyscrapers, that 60dbu signal gets cut down pretty quickly in downtown Toronto as LoS is blocked in most areas.

This reminds me of something.

About a month back I had two radio tuners in the same location at home. One  had an amplified indoor antenna and the other one a wire hooked up to the FM antenna terminal. With the wire I had a pretty steady signal of the Cobourg classic rock station at 107.9  for a few days but with the amplified antenna I was getting the Hamilton On rock station and could not lock in the Cobourg station even after adjustments. I live in Pickering.

Same frequency 107.9. Two diffrenmt stations coming in quite clear but the one with apparently inferior antenna picking up the more difficult signal ?
 

Last edited by Fitz (Sat Apr 7 7:09 am)


Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/