sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Tue Apr 3 2:32 pm  #1


Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Al Joynes appeared on Toronto Mike'd today to talk about getting fired by Corus last week and to share memories from decades at Q107. He also let the cat out the the bag that Andy Frost is also leaving Q.

 

Tue Apr 3 3:48 pm  #2


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Terrible. 

 

Tue Apr 3 4:14 pm  #3


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

torontomike wrote:

Al Joynes appeared on Toronto Mike'd today to talk about getting fired by Corus last week and to share memories from decades at Q107. He also let the cat out the the bag that Andy Frost is also leaving Q.

Was Andy on last weekend. I did not listen but I looked at the playlist in the aftermath of the Al Joynes news and it did not seem like an Andy playlist. Sweeny Todd was on it and I wondered ?

My favorite psyche Sunday feature with Andy was Riffer Madness.

Last edited by Fitz (Tue Apr 3 4:15 pm)


Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/
 

Sat Apr 7 7:30 pm  #4


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

It was a wonderful interview.

I wondered, too, about Big John Scholes, but I hear him do the Employer Law hour occasionally on sister station GNR 640.

Again, since David "Mars Bar" Marsden, these interviews have been appointment podcasts.

There are a lot of broadcasters who peak early or neither develop nor evolve. That hasn't been the case with Mike Boon; he's enthusiastic at a time when "on-air" jocks sound like they don't even care.

Can't wait to hear Al come back to "Kick Out the Jams" and to talk more about the 'salad days' at the Mighty Q.

Last edited by MississaugaAndrew (Sat Apr 7 7:39 pm)

 

Sun Apr 8 8:01 am  #5


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

John Scholes may be better known these days as co-host of The Greg Curasco Show Saturday mornings 8 - 11 am. 640 AM

 

Mon Apr 9 10:45 am  #6


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Could this relate to the merger of Q107s playlist with that of Big 101 Barrie?

 

Mon Apr 9 12:47 pm  #7


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Kilgore wrote:

Could this relate to the merger of Q107s playlist with that of Big 101 Barrie?

3 stations, not just two. Don't forget Big FM 96.3 Kingston.

 

 

Tue Apr 10 2:10 pm  #8


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

The 'suckage' continues...on air...and off.    Q's been a piss poor listening experience for quite some time...like close to a decade.  It only merely gets demonstratively worse as each passing year [and 'tweak'] occurs.  You can't play the same friggin' oldies songs everyday and survive.  S'impossible.   Research, testing and [always controlled] focus groups have done almost as much to kill radio as disinterested ownership and unqualified, and therefore rightfully underpaid, program management.  But hey!!!  'Shareholdering' is doin' fine...'til it isn't and then?  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Everybody loses.  S'just when it finally crashes and burns...there's really no one left to give a proper shit.


The less 'Cyber Space' knows about me the better.  As a result I do not use my real name.  I would be willing to use yours' though.  No?  OK then.  So you 'get' it.  We're good.
 

Tue Apr 10 3:35 pm  #9


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Old Codger wrote:

The 'suckage' continues...on air...and off.    Q's been a piss poor listening experience for quite some time...like close to a decade.  It only merely gets demonstratively worse as each passing year [and 'tweak'] occurs.  You can't play the same friggin' oldies songs everyday and survive.  S'impossible.

You'll probably appreciate this letter to the editor that appeared this week in the Lethbridge Herald. It involves local radio there and I'm not exactly sure what prompted it, but its message may well be universal.

Local radio needs more variety in the playlist 

 

Tue Apr 10 4:08 pm  #10


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe FM radio is headed in the same direction as AM radio and newspapers.  I think the only reasons some stations are staying afloat financially is the need for background music in offices and the high cost of cell phone data which makes it expensive for people to stream internet programming in their cars.  I know of many people who seldom listen to traditional radio at home anymore.

 

Tue Apr 10 4:13 pm  #11


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Chuck99 wrote:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe FM radio is headed in the same direction as AM radio and newspapers.  I think the only reasons some stations are staying afloat financially is the need for background music in offices and the high cost of cell phone data which makes it expensive for people to stream internet programming in their cars.  I know of many people who seldom listen to traditional radio at home anymore.

Well here is an interesting report on Podcasting  that confirms what you say:

 “The share of Americans aged 18-34 who don’t own a radio receiver in the home is now 50 percent. A decade ago, in 2008, that share was six percent.” 

The situation is about the same in Canada. For Canadians in that age group, the share is 51 percent.

PODCASTING


Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/
 

Tue Apr 10 4:20 pm  #12


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

"Most businesses, like mine, have a radio playing in the background, and, obviously, employees listen to it.  But, to be subjected to the same music, day after day, is deplorable!Maybe we businesses should just get one CD and put it on “play” and then “repeat” every day … that would be about the mind-numbing same."

Yes R.A...THAT is like working at the LCBO...exactly like it.  They get a new cd which they HAVE to play all month long.  Anyway there are a number of things which 'the audience' has said to me since I first started taking note of what THEY wanted back around 1973-74.  And as far as I'm concerned what the audience wants is the ONLY thing that matters.  Period.

It hasn't changed in 45 years. In fact it has only gotten worse.

1.  "You guys play the same songs over and over and over and I'm sick of it."
[then along came F.M. which generally didn't...for awhile.]

2.  "You guys play too many commercials."
[then along came F.M. which didn't...for awhile.  It's radio...not TV.  You're not limited by pre-packed programming.  Charge more.  Play less.  Make advertising on radio SPECIAL...and...compete with those repetitive satellite clowns]

3.  "You guys all sound the same."
[then along came F.M. which didn't...for awhile.  but that 'radio sound' [style] and predetermined liners to be read at precisely the same time each hour are tune out factors.  Oh and hiring female announcers/d.j.'s/show hosts can sometimes be a problem especially if you are targeting a female audience.  Why?  'Cause nobody dislikes the female voice more than women.  And what if you hire the wrong imaging voice?  This is a toughie eh?  Hire individuals...unique voices...and people with talent and an imagination.  Oh sorry.  I forgot.  THAT costs money.  Screw the audience!!!  Eh?  What's that?  You already did?  Oh.]

4.  "I don't listen to the radio." 
[I hear that more and more these days...generally about F.M.]
------------------------------------------

Agree with you totally Chuck.  The leg up F.M. once enjoyed is shot to pieces.  EVERYTHING  A.M. radio used to do wrong...is now replicated on F.M.  Good 'bit' there too Fitz.

'The Spirit of Radio' is in hiding.

Last edited by Old Codger (Tue Apr 10 4:46 pm)


The less 'Cyber Space' knows about me the better.  As a result I do not use my real name.  I would be willing to use yours' though.  No?  OK then.  So you 'get' it.  We're good.
 

Tue Apr 10 4:40 pm  #13


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

I'd say AM is on life-support; it's far too expensive for hydro and Tx maintenance to scrap together some profit.  Not to mention environmental/terrestrial signal interference.  But, there will always be some need for FM.

As for workplaces, more and more are either subscribing to Stingray, Sirius, or, if a larger entity (think Walmart), they have their own satellite net.

If a business has a radio station on, there's always the danger of one of their competitors' ads airing.

 

Tue Apr 10 9:00 pm  #14


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Fitz wrote:

Chuck99 wrote:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe FM radio is headed in the same direction as AM radio and newspapers.  I think the only reasons some stations are staying afloat financially is the need for background music in offices and the high cost of cell phone data which makes it expensive for people to stream internet programming in their cars.  I know of many people who seldom listen to traditional radio at home anymore.

Well here is an interesting report on Podcasting  that confirms what you say:

 “The share of Americans aged 18-34 who don’t own a radio receiver in the home is now 50 percent. A decade ago, in 2008, that share was six percent.” 

The situation is about the same in Canada. For Canadians in that age group, the share is 51 percent.

PODCASTING

I do listen to many podcasts.  I have borrowed my ideas on FM radio from Fred Patterson of the Humble and Fred podcast.  He believes there is no future in playing music on the FM band.  He thinks the future for FM is talk.  The idea is viable for Bell and Rogers because they could create network talk shows that could air on many stations.  But, it would be rather expensive for local operators like My FM and Byrnes Communications to go down that path.
 

 

Tue Apr 10 9:02 pm  #15


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

cGrant wrote:

I'd say AM is on life-support; it's far too expensive for hydro and Tx maintenance to scrap together some profit.  Not to mention environmental/terrestrial signal interference.  But, there will always be some need for FM.

As for workplaces, more and more are either subscribing to Stingray, Sirius, or, if a larger entity (think Walmart), they have their own satellite net.

If a business has a radio station on, there's always the danger of one of their competitors' ads airing.

Personally, I am a big fan of Food Basics radio.
 

 

Wed Apr 11 7:40 am  #16


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Fitz wrote:

 “The share of Americans aged 18-34 who don’t own a radio receiver in the home is now 50 percent. A decade ago, in 2008, that share was six percent.” 

The situation is about the same in Canada. For Canadians in that age group, the share is 51 percent.

I was thinking about this some more this morning.  This is a self inflicted wound that there will be NO coming back from.  There will be no recovery...no returning from the dead.  Radio has a diminishing shelf life of what?  A decade and a half---to a couple of decades...max?  Even in our home of those 60 + there is only 1 person who ever listens to the radio...even for even as little as ONE lone 1/4 hour per week.  Me.  My wife?  Never.  She can't stand the music they play.  Actually she HATES it almost passionately.  She plays her own tunes in the car.  No exceptions anymore.  Young people don't listen 'cause there's just no 'there' there.  Older people have tuned out because what is there is mostly, mainly and purposefully pure unadulterated  S H I T  and it has been for about 20 years.  Radio has been committing suicide since the late 80s/early 90s.  It's been slow and painful... ... ...but 'they're' almost there.  When Mommy and Daddy stop listening and don't even have a radio in the house...children won't be exposed to it anymore.  And when that happens it'll be O.P.D.  Maybe Albert Einstein wasn't such a low-brow fool and bleeding idiot after all.  Thanks Bell,  Merci Corus, oh and you too Rogers [I'd have thought that maybe YOU might have known better].  You cheap bastards have done your part to kill it off.  Couple in the death of the [albeit payola driven] music industry and "PRESTO!!!"

[And there's still gonna be some ignorant, ill-informed, annoying, trolling, little know-it-all, weenie who'll happen along and puke out the reason why this has all taken place.  "it's a business."  Yup sure is.  A failing one.  But you weren't around in "1957" so how the hell would you have even 1 'effin' clue about what's going on now?  You've made it none of YOUR business...and it shows each and every time.]
 


The less 'Cyber Space' knows about me the better.  As a result I do not use my real name.  I would be willing to use yours' though.  No?  OK then.  So you 'get' it.  We're good.
 

Wed Apr 11 9:31 am  #17


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Old Codger wrote:

Fitz wrote:

 “The share of Americans aged 18-34 who don’t own a radio receiver in the home is now 50 percent. A decade ago, in 2008, that share was six percent.” 

The situation is about the same in Canada. For Canadians in that age group, the share is 51 percent.

I was thinking about this some more this morning.  This is a self inflicted wound that there will be NO coming back from.  There will be no recovery...no returning from the dead.  Radio has a diminishing shelf life of what?  A decade and a half---to a couple of decades...max?  Even in our home of those 60 + there is only 1 person who ever listens to the radio...even for even as little as ONE lone 1/4 hour per week.  Me.  My wife?  Never.  She can't stand the music they play.  Actually she HATES it almost passionately.  She plays her own tunes in the car.  No exceptions anymore.  Young people don't listen 'cause there's just no 'there' there.  Older people have tuned out because what is there is mostly, mainly and purposefully pure unadulterated  S H I T  and it has been for about 20 years.  Radio has been committing suicide since the late 80s/early 90s.  It's been slow and painful... ... ...but 'they're' almost there.  When Mommy and Daddy stop listening and don't even have a radio in the house...children won't be exposed to it anymore.  And when that happens it'll be O.P.D.  Maybe Albert Einstein wasn't such a low-brow fool and bleeding idiot after all.  Thanks Bell,  Merci Corus, oh and you too Rogers [I'd have thought that maybe YOU might have known better].  You cheap bastards have done your part to kill it off.  Couple in the death of the [albeit payola driven] music industry and "PRESTO!!!"

[And there's still gonna be some ignorant, ill-informed, annoying, trolling, little know-it-all, weenie who'll happen along and puke out the reason why this has all taken place.  "it's a business."  Yup sure is.  A failing one.  But you weren't around in "1957" so how the hell would you have even 1 'effin' clue about what's going on now?  You've made it none of YOUR business...and it shows each and every time.]
 

Everything was just *perfect* "B-A-C-K I-N T-H-E D-A-Y" when you were in the game, wun't it, Ole' Codgerino? Your stuff didn't stank. Not one radio or TV station could do no wrong. Their content was all flawless. Not one of those broadcasters ever half-assed anything, station owners emptied their pockets completely for the sake of broadcasting and didn't M-A-K-E a dime off the business because they were saints.

But after your time F_A-D_e_D that's when it all collapsed. Just went South.

To you and the other "I remember those days well, and nobody does it like they used to..." correct. Times were different then compared to now. No competition with, well, the internet back when Model T's were rolling off production lines, and everybody was dancing to the jitterbug because we had World Peace.

Stare through those rose-coloured glasses too hard, you'll go blind...

(Not sure what that last sentence truly meant, but it sounded righteous in my head at the time... )

 

Wed Apr 11 9:44 am  #18


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

I regularly listen to the radio and have three in my house.  My parents still regularly listen as well. 

 

Wed Apr 11 10:19 am  #19


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

No Fjiri...As I pointed out somewhere here the complaints about radio in the early 70s were never properly addressed...at least not for long.  FM had been fading almost from the time when it began to flush AM down 'la toilette'.  There was a time though when it was q question of what comes first?  Programming or sales.  I am from the camp which maintained you can't have 1 without the other.  IE:  Sales needs a product to sell.

So while it was seldom perfect and when it was it didn't last for long...at least an effort was made to deliver a product worth listening to.  And I'm not sure what it is or was that convinced you that I don't dangle my feet in the broadcast/radio waters now.  I do.  I just want the water to be deeper, warmer and less filled with stuff that 'floats'  That you missed 'it' when it was an art-form rather than just a baby-sitting job is too bad.

Oh...and the audience?  The ones who still have a radio in the house?  They "remember those days well" too.
It's never too late to serve up something a ton better.  It sure as shyte wouldn't be hard to do.

Last edited by Old Codger (Wed Apr 11 10:20 am)


The less 'Cyber Space' knows about me the better.  As a result I do not use my real name.  I would be willing to use yours' though.  No?  OK then.  So you 'get' it.  We're good.
 

Wed Apr 11 10:37 am  #20


Re: Al Joynes, fired 1 week ago, talks Q107 & reveals Andy Frost also gone

Fjiri wrote:

Everything was just *perfect* "B-A-C-K I-N T-H-E D-A-Y" when you were in the game, wun't it, Ole' Codgerino? Your stuff didn't stank. Not one radio or TV station could do no wrong. Their content was all flawless. Not one of those broadcasters ever half-assed anything, station owners emptied their pockets completely for the sake of broadcasting and didn't M-A-K-E a dime off the business because they were saints.

But after your time F_A-D_e_D that's when it all collapsed. Just went South.

To you and the other "I remember those days well, and nobody does it like they used to..." correct. Times were different then compared to now. No competition with, well, the internet back when Model T's were rolling off production lines, and everybody was dancing to the jitterbug because we had World Peace.

Stare through those rose-coloured glasses too hard, you'll go blind...

THANK YOU!!  Very well said!  As tedious as many of my posts may be to some, I attempt to counterbalance the romanticism, by some here, of all the "perfect days" of the past.  

The big difference between those complaining of current times is, I was in the business back in the day, and still am today -- you're not.  Being in media, one MUST accept change and embrace it.  Do I agree with every current decision?  Of course not!  But, what I don't do is compare a Monday to a Friday, a winter to a summer, 1957 to 2018.  Each period has its own ups and downs.  BUT, pinning about when one was in the business, back when Marconi was at the mic, does absolutely nothing to prop up the business or your own career.  Frankly, with respect, if I was hiring (which I have done) and I met someone with such a negative opinion about today's media, the interview would be very, very short and they'd be walking out jobless. 

Yes, know and understand the history of the biz, but also know that was then, this is now.