sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Thu Oct 11 7:25 am  #1


106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

FPR ‘First Peoples Radio Inc.’ is proud to announce the launch of 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto and
95.7 ELMNT FM Ottawa at noon on Wed. Oct. 24th.
 
Website will be up on the same day so you have hear us everywhere.  www.elmntfm.ca
 
Toronto on air lineup 
Bob Magee (Morning Show)
David Moses (MOT – Moment of Truth) 11 am to Noon.
Andrea Rooz (Mid-Day)
Julian Taylor (Drive)
Janet Panic (Evenings) with ‘Panic in the Night’
Cathy Sobocan, David Moses.. News
 
Ottawa on air lineup
Aiden Wolf (Morning Show)
Kayla Whiteduck (Mid-Day Show)
Missy Knott (Drive)
Cody Coyote (Evening Show)
Shaun Malley and Caroline O’Neill.. News
 

Ops Manager and Content Consultant:  Dave Charles
Music Director: Luca Capone
IT/Engineer:  Glenn Prins
Production Manager:  Andrew Johnson
Image Producer:  Doug Thompson
Social Media Manager:  Bruce Barber
Creative:  Adrian Wallace
Traffic Manager:  Ann Pospischil
GSM:  Gary Murphy
National Sales Manager:  James Wansbrough
Marketing Consultant:  Naaz Jiwa


Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
 
 

Thu Oct 11 9:21 am  #2


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

Well, at the risk of being politically incorrect, I have to say I'm impressed by the list. They didn't make the mistake of assuming that everyone associated with the station needs to be Indigenous. Instead, it appears they hired some great people, regardless of their backgrounds. It is hard to argue with Bob Magee in early drive (whom I'm assuming is the former CHUM-AM morning man) or behind-the-scenes pros like sometime SOWNY poster Doug Thompson or the equally great Dave Charles.

Perhaps the most important issue, though, is not making the same mistakes the former frequency occupant did, which led to them losing their licence in several cities. It's a tough market they'll be competing in. But in hiring people with some great experience, they might just make a dent here. I wish them luck.   

 

Thu Oct 11 10:15 am  #3


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

Someday the CKAV story will make for a great book, but it is unfortunately politically charged as hell, and it's not my story to tell.   

When it was obvious that the CKAV stations were hopelessly lost, and probably about to lose their licences, a group of Broadcasters got together and offered, on a volunteer basis to help out as much as we could.  Offering production, scheduling, management, sales and any and all other advice and execution we could.  Unfortunately our 'life support' efforts were too little, too late.  The restaurant had sold far too many bad meals and made too many broken promises to remain in business.

I believe, had CKAV been able to fund the legal representation for their appeal they would have won at least a short reprieve and chance for the 'fixed' aspects of the COL to be recognized.  We were well on the way, meeting COL in most areas with the exception of local studios which was a budgetary impossibility at that stage.  The CRTC were wrong basing the performance of an entire network of stations on audio tapes from 6-9 months before a recovery mission had started, from one market, and had little to no proof of many of the accusations that Jean-Pierre Blais felt comfortable making.  But again.. water under the bridge, and to be honest the debts that had been incurred over the months and years were insurmountable by that stage of the story.

Having said that, during the existence of CKAV and till we offered to help get things at least somewhere close to back on track, there was breathtaking financial abuse on the part of upper management, but also on the part of CBC and others who rented tower space to AVR at ludicrous rates.  I don't know who initially negotiated the AVR contracts but they were absolutely taken for a ride.   To be honest, and of course hindsight is 20/20, anyone looking back can see the original model was critically flawed from the start.  There's just no way they could ever have generated enough in sales to cover the monthly transmission nut alone, never mind staff, upkeep, content etc.  Especially with the egregious upper management salary structure that was originally in place.

The CRTC also carry some responsibility as do the initial engineers because of the absolute shit broadcast patterns  in Toronto and Vancouver that were accepted, not to mention the COL commitments on spoken word.  Even a fresh humber radio graduate could have looked at the talk commitment and realized over 5 stations, out of the gate, this was a multi-million dollar proposition.   The CRTC should have used it's expertise to explain some of these braodcast basics before allowing the application to succeed, least of which looking for better frequencies and patterns.  Was it their job to do that?  Possibly not, but that's why 'hearings' are heard,  as opposed to just rubber stamping licence requests.  The CKAV applicants were, IMHO, failed by their peers.  Unfortunately in the early days I think people were more excited about getting a stick lit up than the geographic area the signal would end up penetrating.   Even secondary incomes using the SCMO couldn't be realized since the sub-carrier was only as good (okay a bit less) than the main one.  The CRTC also spectacularly failed in not auditing the very generous CCD contributions that were made over the years.  "Repeated requests for detailed accounts were not met with success' was where it was left.  Maybe CRA would have had better success at getting answers, but it doesn't matter now.  

The other issue as I've said pretty openly before was target market concentration.  Had these been AM frequencies with the ability to cover the province, rather than, in the case of Toronto, barely able to make it to the outskirts of the M postal code, the story would have been different.   During our 'life support' CKAV days one of the things we explored, but just didn't have the time to approach was FM re-broadcasters over specific parts of the province where the signal couldn''t be heard but definitely should have been.   Having scheduled the stations with 40% cancon and 8-12% indigenous music I'm acutely aware that there is some truly incredible music out there, and it can easily fit into a format that is acceptable to a very wide audience.   Maybe with their ongoing partnership with Corus, and the reach of Fresh in Hamilton and Big in Kingston, I wonder if the station could be rebroadcast on an HD sub-channel in those markets.  I believe it would then become a true force and beacon across the province.

For every bad issue that existed along the way, there were many real people putting their hearts, souls, time, money, talent..  everything (and more) into the original project to make it work.  Unfortunately there were others taking advantage of that at every step of the way.   As one person described it, it was like trying to bail out a leaking row boat, only to find someone sitting in the back seat with a bigger bucket, pouring water into it faster than it could be drained.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but knowing Dave Charles I also know how passionate he is about 2 very important areas that will make this work.  Making sure the indigenous voices are clearly represented, heard and woven into the overall broadcast fabric, not just there as a COL.  Also, importantly, they will be presented on a professional platform, executed and programed properly, that has a real potential to be profitable. 

I'm crossing everything I have that this works for everyone involved.  


Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
 
     Thread Starter
 

Thu Oct 11 10:21 am  #4


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

ig wrote:

FPR ‘First Peoples Radio Inc.’ is proud to announce the launch of 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto and
95.7 ELMNT FM Ottawa at noon on Wed. Oct. 24th.
 
Website will be up on the same day so you have hear us everywhere.  www.elmntfm.ca
 
Toronto on air lineup 
Bob Magee (Morning Show)
David Moses (MOT – Moment of Truth) 11 am to Noon.
Andrea Rooz (Mid-Day)
Julian Taylor (Drive)
Janet Panic (Evenings) with ‘Panic in the Night’
Cathy Sobocan, David Moses.. News
 
Ottawa on air lineup
Aiden Wolf (Morning Show)
Kayla Whiteduck (Mid-Day Show)
Missy Knott (Drive)
Cody Coyote (Evening Show)
Shaun Malley and Caroline O’Neill.. News
 

Ops Manager and Content Consultant:  Dave Charles
Music Director: Luca Capone
IT/Engineer:  Glenn Prins
Production Manager:  Andrew Johnson
Image Producer:  Doug Thompson
Social Media Manager:  Bruce Barber
Creative:  Adrian Wallace
Traffic Manager:  Ann Pospischil
GSM:  Gary Murphy
National Sales Manager:  James Wansbrough
Marketing Consultant:  Naaz Jiwa

That's an amazing assemblage of talent there. Congratulations to everyone involved!
 


"The radio craze ... will soon fade." - Thomas Edison, 1922
 

Thu Oct 11 11:20 am  #5


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

Remember to include "fm" in their website address. 
If not, do they have any relation to these guys? https://www.elmnt.ca/

 

Thu Oct 11 11:40 am  #6


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

Iain,

Thanks for the Readers Digest version of that book you refer to. It made for an interesting read. Also, good on you, Don Andrews and the others for the volunteer work in attempting to save CKAV.

I really like your idea of HD2s being a possibility to improve access to the station(s) outside Toronto and Ottawa. Will 106.5 be HD at launch? The reason I ask is, back when I had an HD radio, WYRK's HD signal could overtake CKAV around the fringes. It could be a bizarre listening experience.

I have to admit, I was stunned when I first read the line-up. I'm old enough to remember Dave Charles' role in shaping the Q107 sound when it launched. I have heaps of respect for him. Indeed this whole crew is top notch.

Wishing the best of luck to everyone involved. 

 

Thu Oct 11 11:47 am  #7


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

ig wrote:

Maybe with their ongoing partnership with Corus, and the reach of Fresh in Hamilton and Big in Kingston, I wonder if the station could be rebroadcast on an HD sub-channel in those markets.  I believe it would then become a true force and beacon across the province.
 

Interesting idea. Fresh Hamilton would be a no-brainer; they could turn that on tomorrow. Big in Kingston is another matter -- who would pay for that? There's no incentive for Corus to otherwise turn on HD on that signal.

 

 

Thu Oct 11 11:50 am  #8


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

(or Cornwall for that matter) Big in HD may be incentive enough for them, I'm sure with Queens they could come up with some creative uses for the sub channels, and at the absolute minimum, with 2 FM's in that market, it would be great CRTC hearing at-a-boy stuff for them.  


RadioAaron wrote:

ig wrote:

Maybe with their ongoing partnership with Corus, and the reach of Fresh in Hamilton and Big in Kingston, I wonder if the station could be rebroadcast on an HD sub-channel in those markets.  I believe it would then become a true force and beacon across the province.
 

Interesting idea. Fresh Hamilton would be a no-brainer; they could turn that on tomorrow. Big in Kingston is another matter -- who would pay for that? There's no incentive for Corus to otherwise turn on HD on that signal.

 

 


Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
 
     Thread Starter
 

Fri Oct 12 2:54 am  #9


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

What are the actual call letters for the two stations?

 

Fri Oct 12 8:08 am  #10


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

CFPT - 106.5 - Toronto - 2.600 watts
CFPO - 95.7 - Ottawa - 9,100 watts

Both stations have also been approved to operate HD channels.
 

 

Sun Oct 14 5:54 pm  #11


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

ig wrote:

(or Cornwall for that matter) Big in HD may be incentive enough for them, I'm sure with Queens they could come up with some creative uses for the sub channels, and at the absolute minimum, with 2 FM's in that market, it would be great CRTC hearing at-a-boy stuff for them.  


RadioAaron wrote:

ig wrote:

Maybe with their ongoing partnership with Corus, and the reach of Fresh in Hamilton and Big in Kingston, I wonder if the station could be rebroadcast on an HD sub-channel in those markets.  I believe it would then become a true force and beacon across the province.
 

Interesting idea. Fresh Hamilton would be a no-brainer; they could turn that on tomorrow. Big in Kingston is another matter -- who would pay for that? There's no incentive for Corus to otherwise turn on HD on that signal.

 

 

Big in HD on its own isn't really anything. The sound quality difference is subjective, and would have no ratings impact in a market that's looking like it's moving to one book a year....and where the 2nd tier stations like Big have wild variations from book-to-book anyway. Sure, they could come up with something creative for a sub-channel, but they'd never be able to monetize it - not in a sales environment where their main radio signals are ALREADY a bonus add-on for buying TV. 

But yes; points with the CRTC makes sense. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (Sun Oct 14 5:55 pm)

 

Fri Oct 19 8:14 pm  #12


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

They are now testing their FM signal. Just heard it in the car.


Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/
 

Fri Oct 19 10:21 pm  #13


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

Gawd! As of this posting, the 106.5 signal sounds like I'm trying to pick up an out of market station on a cheap walkman while riding on a Via train. 
I'm not though. I'm at my home here in Toronto, listening to my stereo. 

Fitz wrote:

They are now testing their FM signal. Just heard it in the car.

Just letting you know it's not your car, lol 
 

Last edited by Radiowiz (Fri Oct 19 10:24 pm)

 

Fri Oct 19 11:48 pm  #14


Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

I wish my friends connected with this project nothing but an astonishing launch and plenty of ongoing, accruing street talk followed by truly shocking ratings success.

It's blast off time Magoo!!!  Blow 'em up real good.

Last edited by Lee Marshall (Fri Oct 19 11:48 pm)