sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2019 11:46 pm  #31

Re: 106.5 ELMNT FM Toronto launch

Maybe 106.5 was not the best frequency for this new station or they need an increase in power. The last couple of days reception has been intermittent with WYRK Buffalo drowning out their signal as close to downtiwn as Yonge and 401. And appears they’ve turned off their HD. Doesn’t seem to be helping much.

February 5, 2019 11:19 am  #32

Hrick wrote:

Maybe 106.5 was not the best frequency for this new station or they need an increase in power. The last couple of days reception has been intermittent with WYRK Buffalo drowning out their signal as close to downtown as Yonge and 401.

Lots of tropospheric enhancement with this warmer air in recent days. The FM capture effect will clobber a relatively weak local station when it shares a frequency with a comparitive powerhouse only 100 km away.

I know consulting engineers considered 106.7 MHz with the original licensee but decided against it. There is a precedent in the market, however, - that being G98.7. First adjacent to Niagara Falls on 98.5 and second adjacent to local 99.1 MHz in Toronto. The digital sidebands from HD radio may be a factor, however. In the case of G98.7, perhaps the CBC has agreed to not use HD Radio on 99.1.

All this said, it would certainly be interesting to at least explore the viability of a change to 106.7 MHz.

As for antenna radiation pattern, I'm doubtful the proposed shared antenna with CIND will improve things (if approved).

As for a change of site location, it would be interesting to explore relocating a number of stations to The One at Yonge-Bloor. This is a top tier condo and it's doubtful they'd be open to an unslighly antenna topping off their prestigeous building.

If it were as simple as waving a magic wand, the stations I'd consider moving to that hypothetical location are:

88.1 (possibly)
101.3 (possibly)
106.5/106.7

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (February 5, 2019 12:25 pm)

February 5, 2019 9:59 pm  #33

<<<As for a change of site location, it would be interesting to explore relocating a number of stations to The One at Yonge-Bloor. This is a top tier condo and it's doubtful they'd be open to an unslighly antenna topping off their prestigeous building.>>>

I like the centrality of that location. I wonder what the condo association could charge, overall, for rent. Why would anyone living there care what's on top of the building. OTOH, would close proximity to the transmitter(s) hamper reception in that building's units, either of signals directly overhead or signals from off-site?

February 6, 2019 2:29 pm  #34

Saul wrote:

<<<As for a change of site location, it would be interesting to explore relocating a number of stations to The One at Yonge-Bloor. This is a top tier condo and it's doubtful they'd be open to an unslighly antenna topping off their prestigeous building.>>>

I like the centrality of that location. I wonder what the condo association could charge, overall, for rent. Why would anyone living there care what's on top of the building. OTOH, would close proximity to the transmitter(s) hamper reception in that building's units, either of signals directly overhead or signals from off-site?

That building is making FCP look "wimpy" these days.

February 6, 2019 3:13 pm  #35

I was at Danforth and Victoria Park yesterday and was only receiving WYRK. They’ve been doing a lot of advertising recently and with the atmospheric conditions, their potential audience was only a fraction of what it should be. Not a good situation for a new radio station.