sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2019 2:21 pm  #1

TSN 1150

After the layoffs at TSN radio last week,  TSN 1150 is becoming more like a satellite transmitter for TSN 1050.  The Hamilton station has started airing the Overdrive show that airs on 1050 from 4pm to 7pm.  And starting Thursday, the local morning show is being reduced to one hour from 8am to 9am, while the Michael Landsberg morning show on 1050 airs from 6am to 8am.

For those on this board that remember the Top 40 heyday of both stations, this must seem unfathomable.  Its almost as weird as if the Jay Nelson morning show on CHUM had been rebroadcast on CKOC back in the early seventies.

Veteran sportscaster Jim Tatti is no longer doing the afternoon drive show on the Hamilton station.  This is not the first time he has lost a radio sports talk show due to budget cuts.  Back in the days when CJCL was known as The Fan 1430, he was removed as the host of a mid-morning show when revenues plummeted due to the major league baseball strike and NHL lock-out in the summer and fall of 1994.  But at the time, Jim still worked for Global TV, which cushioned the loss.

His stint at 1150 was the second time he has worked in Hamilton radio.  He was sports director at 1280 CJJD in the late seventies shortly after the station switched to a Top 40 format and changed its call letters from CHAM.

April 1, 2019 5:33 pm  #2

Re: TSN 1150

It’s literally pointless for Bell to keep 1150 in Hamilton as a ‘’satellite feed’’ of TSN 1050 in Toronto, 1050 already covers the Hamilton Peninsula with moderate signal, and 1050 still consistently ranks at the bottom of Toronto radio ratings. Well the rating of TSN 1150 could be regarded as non-existent, although I would say 1150 has a decent signal throughout the whole GTA.

The solutions left out for them is only either stop operating the station, or immediately have a format change. Bell could’ve reverted back to the classic hits or oldie format that they had a few years ago. I’m pretty certain that having an oldies format would be much better than the struggling sports format for now.

April 1, 2019 6:11 pm  #3

IIRC, Oldies did very well for CKOC, getting as high as a 4 rating at one point. But since they abandoned the format, others - including The Grand at 92.9 - have entered the market doing the same thing, with almost the same line-up as the old 1150. And if 1220 ever hits the air, that's another greatest hits outlet to compete with. 

It may be too late to resurrect those glory days now. But there's little question TSN 1150 is a losing team that can no longer compete in the bigs. What to do with it? Perhaps classic country? Business? What other formats haven't been tried in the GTHA? We surely don't need yet another ethnic lease time station here, but I wouldn't put anything past Bell.

April 1, 2019 6:31 pm  #4

Maybe they don't care or have other priorities? Maybe they want to hold on to 1150 long enough for some all-digital solution? maybe they're undecided or waiting or procrastinating on a format change? Maybe they're hoping a prospective buyer comes along? Maybe it's an adequate "satellite" for 1050 to the west of the city where 1050 and in places where 1050 gets clipped by New York 1050 and IBOC from KYW 1060? 

April 1, 2019 8:02 pm  #5

OK, I’m probably the only one here who actually thinks 1150 is serving  A great purpose to the region.
First off, they allow TSN more coverage across southwestern Ontario, 1050  never comes in past 7 PM in  Brantford  [Where I’m from]  and Kitchener.   TSN 1150 comes in very well at night there, which is when they are most valuable.
The second reason TSN 1150 is valuable is they serve as a second channel to air local sports,   For example, let’s say the raptors, maple leafs, and the Blue Jays    Play on a particular night.   By default the Blue Jays would go to 590,   Which leaves quite a dilemma for the other two Toronto teams.  This is where 1150 comes in,   They could put the leafs,  Who in most cases would probably have more listeners, on 1150 because it actually has more of a reach than 1050  in terms of signal and less interference from American channels.   They could do the same with the raptors If they  wanted more listeners   To that particular game.
If I’m being completely honest, I think a second channel for sports was their main reason for converting 1150 to a sports station.  I doubt  many people actually care what’s on 1150 in the daytime anyway.

April 1, 2019 9:32 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

IIRC, Oldies did very well for CKOC, getting as high as a 4 rating at one point. But since they abandoned the format, others - including The Grand at 92.9 - have entered the market doing the same thing, with almost the same line-up as the old 1150. And if 1220 ever hits the air, that's another greatest hits outlet to compete with. .

You can add 88.5 in Grimsby to the Classic Hits parade when it launches.

April 2, 2019 12:43 am  #7

What is the current condition of the transmitter facility?

I seem to recall they got permission to cut night time power to 20 KW (as opposed to the former 50 KW) to avoid / mitigate the maintenance costs related to switching directional patterns.

The same owner shut down London's CKSL 1410 in 2016 citing low ratings and high costs to update the transmitting site.

April 2, 2019 10:37 am  #8

The power reduction has allowed them to use six towers at night instead of ten, so, yes, it will probably delay the need for upgrades.

The daytime signal is powerful north and west of Hamilton.  I remember listening to CKOC, when it was still a Top 40 station, on a car radio on the Bruce Peninsula during the daytime.

April 2, 2019 11:22 am  #9

If only the Hamilton Ti cats games alone could pay the year round true cost to run 1150 in it's current condition. There would be better logic in respecting what ever Bell is trying to prove...

April 2, 2019 11:29 am  #10

darcyh wrote:

The same owner shut down London's CKSL 1410 in 2016 citing low ratings and high costs to update the transmitting site.

This is a common problem every AM station faces. Per unit coverage, the maintenance costs of an AM transmitter site are orders of magnitude higher than an FM station on, say, First Canadian Place. Complexity of a given AM station antenna array and associated ground plane exacerbate an already challenging situation.

Combine this with declining revenue and in many cases, dramatic increases in transmitter site property value, and I can't help but think bottom line companies like Bell will eventually shut more of these stations down.

April 2, 2019 11:37 am  #11

The decision to go all sports is deeper than some on here are making them out to be.   A 4 share of 75+ isn't a market for the long term.    I think they saw the end was coming.... with no younger ears using 1150, a AM music station as a music station, with no possible FM translator.    The most they had was 5 to 10 years before it was going to be too late.   The fees for Music also came into play I'm sure.

The issue is the budget is small, and trying to do what is needed to bring in the numbers just isn't possible.     From what I can see right now, it's fully on cost containment mode, until something better comes up to try.   There is no option to move to FM with no frequencies available that are usable, so I have a feeling they will continue to do sports, with most of the programming from network or co-owned stations, until full digital becomes a option.   Everyone here likes to pretend that music on AM is still workable, but unless you are over 65, AM just doesn't cut it for music use anymore.   Facts are facts here.   

Last edited by radiokid (April 2, 2019 11:40 am)

April 2, 2019 12:14 pm  #12

The only time I listen to TSN 1150 is for Sunday Night's Main Event. I realize yeah, pro wrestling and Jason Agnew, but there I get the feeling 1150's a stop-gap home until a station higher up on the Bell hierarchy picks it up, or SNME gains financial backing like Live Audio Wrestling had with Fight Network.